PDA

View Full Version : McGoofy & Family's Summer Vacation (with pics and videos) DAYS 1 and 2 CONTINUED

McGoofy
06-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Day Number 2:
Morning came quickly. We wanted to go to early morning EMH at Magic Kingdom. We were on a bus to MK by 7:15am. When we got to MK, there were not many people there. We got pictures in front of the train platform with nobody in the background. That's a rare treat! CM's were outside with hula hoops and things for kids to play with. DS enjoyed that. When 8am rolled around, the opening ceremony (http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3010818570101825575pNURtp)began. I love the welcome song and the countdown with the characters. When the confetti cannons went off, DS was able to catch some streamers. As we walked down Main Street, we were walking right beside Alice and the Mad Hatter (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2192184310101825575AAJxRQ). The two were carrying on a conversation with each other as they were walking so that all could hear. It was too cute. I'm guessing they were on the way to ride their teacup ride as we parted ways when we reached the hub in front of the castle. We headed toward Tomorrowland, but we stopped to take a few pictures in front of Cinderella's castle first. As we made our way into Tomorrowland, there were very few crowds. DS asked if we could ride Buzz first, so we popped into there. We were the only people in the whole ride! We took pictures in the queue (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2892728600101825575iiCSlD) with only us in the line. Crazy! In our early hour, we covered all of Tomorrowland (including Space Mountain) and all of Fantasyland. My son is too big for Pooh's Playful Spot, but before our trip, we were reading a really cool book titled 101 Things You Never Knew About Disney World. The facts in this book are kind of like the hidden Mickey book except they are just little hidden things to look for around the parks. One fact that we read about was a hidden tribute to the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride that used to be in the Pooh's Playful Spot area. It's a submarine (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2514029450101825575cYUrai) that is carved out in the tree. We stopped to look for that, and we found it. The next thing we wanted to find is the tribute to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride that is in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride. We found the pic of Mr. Toad (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2273535290101825575EkShkc)handing the deed to Owl. As we walked past the carousel, we saw the dream team looking at the numbers on the horses, so we got in line to ride. The dream team members were standing at the exit. One CM was in the usual blue and khaki, but the other two were dressed in white outfits with vests and bow ties and they were holding stuff in their hands. (I don't know what.) We assumed that whoever was on the lucky horse was going to get a nice prize. We were sure hoping it was going to be us. However, evidently nobody on the carousel with us was on the right horse because nobody was stopped as they exited. We thought about riding again to see what happened, but we didn't. I do wish I knew what that dream team was doing though! We went on to Peter Pan, where we had a 5 minute wait to ride. Unbelievable. We made our way to Frontierland and then took the train back to the Main Street station. We were the only ones on the train for a little while until one other couple boarded. DS was asked to be the guest conductor, so he got to ride on the back of the train and be the one to say, "All aboard" as we left the station. Back at Main Street, we headed to Harmony Barber Shop, where the boys got haircuts. It was around 11:30 when we finished. We decided to use another counter service at Casey's. There's just something about those hot dogs! It was getting hot, and we had already done over half the park, so we decided to go back to OKW for a swim and catch the rest of MK when we were planning to go back the next day.

Late afternoon, we made our way to Epcot. The Flower and Garden Festival was in its last few days, so we enjoyed going around looking at the topiaries. We also rode Spaceship Earth and saw some new additions since we last rode. Smile for your photo now because at the exit, there is a big globe (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2004614760101825575wJrtuS)where everyone can see your photo and where you are from! You can also see your photo on a big screen on the wall! We had a 7:50pm reservation for our first table service at the Rose and Crown. What a wonderful dinner! We were right by the window that overlooks the showcase lagoon. We also timed it just perfectly to be there when it came time for Illuminations. In between dinner and dessert, we were taken to a special area that is roped off for dinner guests. It was an excellent view of Illuminations. After Illuminations, we went back to our table for dessert. This was the highlight of the meal. Our server, Lynda, was excellent. She noticed DS's birthday button and had given him special attention through the whole meal. When it came time for dessert, she asked if he wanted his ice cream. He told her yes, but he only wanted whipped cream and sprinkles on it. Then he said, "LOTS of whipped cream please!" When she came back, she brought him a platter (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2863136320101825575kbtnjk). It had one little scoop of vanilla ice cream, but it was surrounded by loads of whipped cream. She looked at DH and I and said, "That is an entire can of whipped cream!" :eyes: I looked at her and asked, "Is he going home with you?" Holy cow that child was going to be on a sugar high!!! But it is Disney. DH and I enjoyed sharing our desserts, but the Guinness chocolate cake was the bomb!! SO GOOD!!!! We hung around Epcot for three more hours during evening extra magic hours. We enjoyed the rides as well as walking off dinner and DS's sugar high!

We had a good start to our vacation on our first day in the parks.

LINK TO DAY ONE AND TWO PHOTOS (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563751182DvLwXT)

The rest of the trip will follow soon hopefully

KineGirl
06-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Awwww..

I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!

Ive never been to an opening so that was so awesome you shared that! It gave me that "feeling" that you really on get from WDW! :cloud9: Nice try with the Dream Team :thumbsup: That wouldve be too cool!!

It sounds like it was a perfect day in the World :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
06-11-2008, 09:34 PM
OOOOO! Loving your report! The pics! The opening ceremony video!!! Thank you!

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the report!! The picture of Toad and Owl and the submarine carving is cool! Where can you find those in WDW? Great report!!!

Chris :hatter:

McGoofy
06-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the report!! The picture of Toad and Owl and the submarine carving is cool! Where can you find those in WDW? Great report!!!

Chris :hatter:

You're welcome! The Toad and Owl picture are on the left as you pass through Owl's tree on the Winnie the Pooh ride. The submarine is inside the tree (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2361079110101825575YjdEWW) at Pooh's Playground. (The one DS is standing in front of.) You have to get on kid level and look up right above the opening!

KylesMom
06-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Love the pics, Tara. What a great first day in the parks - and two of them, at that! I'm glad to see they're doing the opening ceremony for a.m. EMH again - when we were there in June last year, they played the countdown but didn't have any hoopla for the early a.m. hours! I can't believe how many attractions you were able to visit in such a short amount of time . . .

I'll definitely have to find the submarine carving for DH - he still laments the absence of that ride!

The whipped cream treat from the R&C waitress was a hoot, to say the least. What a great day, being able to take advantage of both a.m. and p.m. EMH! Thanks for sharing - looking forward to reading more! :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
06-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Tara, these are SO cool. I love the pictures, the reports and the little tidbits of WDW info....I had heard about the deed moment, but have yet to find it, now I at least know what to look for.

Thanks so much for sharing your fabulous trip. I love reading your reports. I have even downloaded some of your pictures to my webshots screensaver. I love that sight!!:mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
06-12-2008, 11:33 AM
I have always enjoyed reading your reports, and this trip is no exception. That whipped cream story has me cracking up. What a great, great memory for your son. I am sure someday he will be telling his kids that one! Thanks for the great report and pictures. :mickey:

DisneyCouture
06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Great report. That whipped cream dessert looked so good. :thumbsup:

mickey&missy
06-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for sharing Tara! What a great report! I love the pictures and videos! The video of MK opening gave me that pang in my belly for WDW!!

tinkerbell04
06-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Tara, it sounds like a great day! The pix are fantastic, thanks!

pdrlkr
06-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

castlelady36
06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks so much for the video!! Your trip sounds great so far!!

TBY2225
06-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Sounds like a great day! See why I like to get to the parks so early! I still can't believe you got fantasyland and Tomorrowland done in one hour! 5mins for Peter Pan? Wow! Lets try that in September! :mickey:
I am glad you found that picture of Mr. Toad. I love that. Since Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was my favorite, it is a nice little touch to see in the Pooh ride!
I can't believe all you got done this day! I sure hope with this kind of whirlwind day Rose and Crown was relaxing for you!

DizNee143
06-13-2008, 02:48 PM
a great day at the parks..you really did get a lot done today..really enjoying reading about your trip!! off to read the next part..:mickey:

faline
06-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Loved the picture of your son with his platter of whipped cream! Very funny and very cute!

Another terrific day for all of you even if you didn't win a dream!

Hull-onian
06-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Great video of opening day!!! All the photos were excellent. Happy Anniversary:cloud9:

#1disneyfan
06-17-2008, 07:48 PM
That was a great video! In all the times I have been to WDW, and it is quite a few, we have never seen the opening ceremonies! It gave me the chills! You guys got a lot accomplished today! Thanks for sharing your great first day in the World!