PDA

View Full Version : McGoofy & Family's Summer Vacation (with pics and videos) DAYS 1 and 2

McGoofy
06-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Dates: Wednesday, May 28 - Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Cast of Characters: McGoofy (me, Tara) 37, DH 36, and DS, Birthday Boy turning 10

Don't you hear it in your head? It's the HSM song playing, "What time is it? Summertime! It’s our vacation...." My son finished the 4th grade on May 28th. We wanted to get down to WDW as early in the summer as possible in order to avoid massive crowds and intense summer heat. We decided to leave town the day he finished school. So....here it is...the trip report from our week of summer vacation at WDW.

Day Number 1:
I am a nurse, and I work 12 hour night shifts twice a week. In order to get my time in on the pay period, I had to work the two nights prior to our vacation. I was like a big kid all night long on the last night. I was counting down the hours until I could clock out and go to WDW. The other nurses were laughing at me. You could have made a commercial out of it. As soon as I came home, I cleaned up, took care of a few last minute details, and we went to the school to pick up our son and say our goodbyes to his teacher. By time all was said and done, we were on the road by 9:30am. The plan was to sleep in the car, but I was too hyped up! I could not sleep. Finally, somewhere near the South Carolina/Georgia border, I finally fell asleep. A little while later I awoke. I thought I had been asleep a long time, and then I realized that we were only in Brunswick, GA, and it was only 12:00pm! Since I was now awake, we decided to stop for lunch. After that, we pressed on. We kept making all sorts of stops. We stopped at the Florida welcome station. My DS loves to stop there for 2 reasons. They hand out free orange juice, and they have Disney time guides. It's our first little hint of Disney along the way. He likes to read the times of things that are going on during the dates we will be there and form plans of what we can do. We didn't get too much further down I-95 before I felt that a Starbucks was a necessary stop for me. We found a really nice exit in Jacksonville with a huge shopping area called River City Marketplace. In this marketplace, we found a Starbucks! After this stop, we go a little further and make what is a regular stop for us at the St. Augustine outlets. There is a Disney store there where you can find all sorts of cool discounted Disney merchandise. It is actual park merchandise, so it makes for great souvenirs that are way less expensive than what you would purchase at the parks. We spent a while at this store and then we continued on our way with the next stop being Walt Disney World. There's nothing like that feeling of being on the road all day and finally driving under the Walt Disney World sign! Without stopping too much, we can get to WDW in 6 1/2 hours, but because of our stops, we ended up taking 8 hours to get there. We checked into Old Key West Resort around 5:30pm. We took some time to get settled in. As we were putting things away, there was a knock on the door. To my surprise, the Disney florist was standing at the door with flowers in his hand. My sweet husband had planned ahead to have those delivered to our room for me as a gift for our 15th wedding anniversary.:cloud9: (Our anniversary is actually not until June 12 (tomorrow), but he wanted me to have that little surprise at WDW.) The flowers were so beautiful! The next thing on our agenda was that we needed to go purchase a few groceries, so we hopped back in our car and drove to the Wal-greens that is right out the back gate of Downtown Disney. We got some milk, fruit, and a few other things. When we got in line to pay, my DH says, "Oh no...all I have is my room key. I put my wallet away because I knew we were using the room key for all of our charges!" Needless to say, Wal-greens doesn't take room charges, and I didn't have my purse either. Fortunately, for us my DS had a little cash in his pocket, so we had to borrow from him! Now there's a switch! And then he says, "If I give you $12, will you just pay me back with a $20?" Are you kidding me? The man in line behind us was cracking up. I'm pretty sure that paying the child's way to Disney World should be payback enough! After avoiding what could have been an embarrassing incident at Wal-greens, we went back to OKW. We put our purchases away, and then drove over to the nearby Port Orleans Resort to spend an evening listening to the crazy piano player, Bob Jackson. We decided to use our first counter service at the POR food court. I was trying to eat something healthy, so I got one of the build-your-own salads. That was so good. There is a list of two lettuce mixes, two meat choices (chicken or steak), a list of every salad ingredient under the sun, and a list of dressings. You tell the CM what you want; they throw it all in a bowl and then toss it. There is no limit to how many ingredients you can have, so I got close to a little bit of everything. That salad was delicious! We took our food to the POR lounge and waited for Bob. He began his show at 8:30pm. We had so much fun with that. I even got an honorable mention (http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3091566400101825575EoBMIb)during one of his songs. He had the kids come up on stage for various songs. At one point, I was on stage with all of the ladies as we were the chorus line, while he sang "New York, New York." At one point, my DH was "riding horses" around the room with all the men when Bob sang "Ghost Riders in the Sky." We had so much fun with all of his songs (http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3091792620101825575cskvjA). However, around 11:30pm, after being up for approximately 32 hours (with the exception of a 1 1/2 hour nap), the excitement high was wearing off for me. I was about to crash at the table, so we went back to our resort. I do not remember even telling anybody good night. I was fast asleep as soon as I laid down!:sleepin:

Well, this ended up being too long, so I have to split this into two separate posts. Going to post day two now!

KineGirl
06-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Yayy! You made it there!! That was sure sweet of your husband to surprise you like that! We're you able to bring them home?

LOL I can only picture you up on that stage singing New York New York, girl! ;)

wdw_bound
06-11-2008, 09:40 PM
We love the St. Augustine outlet, too! It's always funny to hear DD talk about the "better deal" she can get there while we are in the Emporium!

Can't wait to hear more!:mickey:

McGoofy
06-12-2008, 02:56 AM
Yayy! You made it there!! That was sure sweet of your husband to surprise you like that! We're you able to bring them home?

LOL I can only picture you up on that stage singing New York New York, girl! ;)

Oh yeah, you know I wasn't leaving those pretty flowers for Mousekeeping to throw in the trash! We didn't make any stops on the way home, so it only took 6 1/2 hours, but those flowers stayed on the floorboard the whole time between my feet. They are getting a little wilty now, but I still have them. I wanted to keep them out until our real anniversary date.

As for the chorus line, there is no video footage of that oddly enough!;) I was sooooo tired, but I had so much fun!

KylesMom
06-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Ugh, I'm tired just reading your first day. I'm surprised you didn't fall asleep at the table, Tara! Can't wait to read more! :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
06-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Tara, I'm so excited to read your reports. You have a sweet hubby for surprising you like that. Thank goodness for your son being prepared. We had the same situation happen to us on our way home.

I feel your pain about the twelve hour shifts....they can be hateful at times. I work several in a row (I do three 12's per week) right before we go on vacation so I don't have to use too much vacation times. Works well for us!!

Can you tell me the address for the St. Augustine outlet? I have been to the one close to WDW, as you leave the OKW/DtD area. I got many great deals on merchandise, but I'm guessing the further store away might have a better variety. Just a thought.

Also, how can we catch this piano player? He looks like a lot of fun. Does he only play at POR?

ChipnDaleGal
06-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Starting off your trip with a beautiful bouquet of flowers sure sounds nice! Happy Anniversary today - hope you have a good one.

I am sure you were exhausted, but now you are there and the fun can begin! Thanks for reporting. :mickey:

mickey&missy
06-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Geez! I can only imagine how tired you must have been! But, it sound like you guys had a great trip down and a fun evening! I LOVED your footage of Bob Jackson! I'm hoping to see him during our stay at POR in January! Can't wait to read more!

tinkerbell04
06-12-2008, 05:09 PM
What a great day! Isn't it amazing what you can do on vacation on little to no sleep! :mickey:

pdrlkr
06-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

McGoofy
06-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Tara, I'm so excited to read your reports. You have a sweet hubby for surprising you like that. Thank goodness for your son being prepared. We had the same situation happen to us on our way home.

I feel your pain about the twelve hour shifts....they can be hateful at times. I work several in a row (I do three 12's per week) right before we go on vacation so I don't have to use too much vacation times. Works well for us!!

Can you tell me the address for the St. Augustine outlet? I have been to the one close to WDW, as you leave the OKW/DtD area. I got many great deals on merchandise, but I'm guessing the further store away might have a better variety. Just a thought.

Also, how can we catch this piano player? He looks like a lot of fun. Does he only play at POR?

The Prime Outlets can be seen from I-95. They are the outlets on the left as you are heading south. They are currently under construction, but they are definitely open for business. I love that Disney Store. Yes, they do have a huge variety. One time we found a Pal Mickey for only $13.00!

Here's the outlet info:

ADDRESS
500 Prime Outlet Blvd.
St. Augustine , Florida 32084

HOURS
Monday - Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

As for Bob's schedule. The only place at Disney that he plays is the POR lounge. If you Google "Bob Jackson Port Orleans," his website should be at the top of the list. He has a schedule of where he will be when, but it usually isn't too far ahead of the current month. You should check him out if you have a chance. It's so much fun!

faline
06-13-2008, 12:54 PM
The start of a Disney World trip is always so exciting! Good thing you had that adrenaline (and Starbucks coffee) to keep you going!

DizNee143
06-13-2008, 01:46 PM
what a great long first day in the world!!! cant wait to read the rest!!:mickey:

TBY2225
06-13-2008, 02:02 PM
I should have known that you would be too keyed up to sleep! I can't believe you stayed awake that long! I am glad you all got to see Bob Jackson again. Hopefully we can all catch him together in September!

#1disneyfan
06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Glad to see you made it there safely! I used to work nights too, and I have to say that I prefer days much better now!

Very sweet gesture from your husband, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to read about the rest of your magical WDW trip!

mrsgaribaldi
07-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Happy Anniversary!! That was so nice of your DH. Love the videos:thumbsup:

vizsla
07-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the report.

Bethanymouse
07-03-2008, 12:11 AM
What a great day! I love how your son likes to stop at the rest stop to pick up the disney pamphlets, just proof he is a disney kid! Gotta love that disney magic that can be found anywhere! Love those traditions. It sounds like you had a wonderful first day!

Lizzie
07-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Sounds great. I wish I could drive to DW, but we live in WA state so thats not gonna happen.