PDA

View Full Version : Joe's summary/highlights of an 8 night French Quarter visit: Day 2 and pictures

SpecJoe Magic
06-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Day 1 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=134895)

Pictures from our trip (http://www.webshots.com/user/specjoemagic)

Keep in mind that this is not a step-by-step trip report. Instead, it is a summary of our trip. I explained this in detail on day 1 of my trip report.

Day 2:

A long day at the Magic Kingdom-

Today was our first park day at WDW. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom at about 11:00 A.M. We rode Pirates of the Caribbean first, as is usually our family tradition. I noticed once again that the skull and crossbones just before the drop is still missing. How long has it been gone? Maybe they will put it back in during the June refurbishment. We then waited around for a few minutes to see Jack Sparrow’s Pirate Tutorial. Some of the others had seen it before, but neither Brooke (my wife) nor myself had witnessed it. It was an enjoyable show. The guy who was Jack was spot on with his mannerisms and voice. I mentioned to the others that I bet Mack, Jack’s mate, really enjoys his job because he gets to be mean to guests and get away with it because it’s part of his character. I imagine there are quite a lot of Cast Members that would love to say a few nasty things to certain guests. When we were about to board Splash Mountain, Seth (my brother-in-law) decided that he didn’t want to sit in the front row because he didn’t want to get soaked. Brooke and I ended up switching rows with him, and we certainly got plenty of water action in the front. That was probably one of the wettest visits to Splash Mountain that I’ve ever experienced. Fortunately, it was a hot day so we dried out fast. Brooke had been wanting to eat at El Pirata y el Perico for a few years, but it seems like it’s closed quite often. It was open this time. It was her first time to eat there, and it had been several years since I had eaten there. We both had taco salad. It was nothing special, but it was pretty good, and I thought the price was reasonable for the amount of food that was served. Our visit to the Haunted Mansion was special because several of our group hadn’t experienced it since the refurbishment, and I was excited to see their reactions to it. Brooke and I were impressed by it last September when we rode it for the first time, and we were still thrilled with the changes when we rode it again on this trip. The others also seemed to enjoy the update better than the original version as well. I feel that the Haunted Mansion refurbishment was definitely one of the best executed updates that Disney has ever done. We did various other things throughout the day until I knew it was about time for Jared to arrive at the park. We had only been finished with the Carousel of Progress for a few minutes when he called my cell phone to say that he was on his way. We already had Space Mountain Fastpasses, and a few people in our group don’t ride it, so we grabbed one of the extra Fastpasses to take to Jared. Keep in mind that this was going to be the first time that Jared and I had ever met in person. We had talked online for about 7 years after meeting through Intercot prior to this impending meeting. I was a bit nervous because I wanted everything to go right. We had both wanted to meet in person for a while, but our WDW visits were never at the same time, and we live so far apart. Thankfully, his last park day was our first park day. I called to tell him that Brooke and I would meet him in front of the Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street. Once we were within sight of each other, we recognized each other immediately. Then we greeted with a handshake and a brief hug, and the slight nervous feeling that I had just melted away. He was introduced to Brooke, and then he and I launched into conversation that felt like it continued the rest of our evening together without stopping. We did many attractions together beginning at about 7:00 P.M. and going almost non-stop to about 1:00 A.M. thanks to Extra Magic Hours. His enthusiasm for my vast knowledge of Disney stories, facts, and legends made me happy. I thoroughly enjoy talking all about those things, but it’s often difficult to find someone that is willing to listen and take it all in. Jared told us a story about how he used to think Space Mountain has a fast track and a slow track because a lady told that to him and his dad years ago before he discovered otherwise by reading Intercot. This story was told while we were riding on the TTA with the intention of discussing what to do next, but we got so caught up in that story and others like it that we were near the end of the TTA before we realized that we still hadn’t decided what to do next. That’s just one example of the numerous topics we discussed, both Disney and non-Disney. After our ride together in the Haunted Mansion where I pointed out various hidden and behind-the-scenes things to Jared, he told me it was the best tour of the Haunted Mansion that he has ever had. He also said that being with me at the Magic Kingdom is like taking the Keys to the Kingdom tour without paying. Bragging on me about my Disney knowledge is one of the largest compliments that anyone can pay me, so I was very flattered by those statements. Among the other rides we visited together were Thunder Mountain, where I taught him the “goat trick”, Splash Mountain, Laugh Floor, TTA, Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, and even Cinderella’s Golden Carousel, which I hadn’t ridden in years. On our way to the Laugh Floor, we unexpectedly encountered most of my extended family that was on the trip. I never intended for Jared to meet any of them because I didn’t want him to be overwhelmed with meeting so many people that he doesn’t know at all, but it’s one of those things that is bound to happen. The phrase “it’s a small world after all” is more convincing to me with each year that I live. We had a particularly enjoyable time at the Laugh Floor, and I got picked on. I was wearing my very colorful WDW Hawaiian-style shirt that I refer to as my “billboard shirt.” It’s basically a collage of various WDW landmarks jumbled together that covers every inch of the shirt. Plus, I’m 6’9’’ tall so I was an enticing target for the monsters. They put my face up on the screen, and a caption under my face said, “Will treat everyone to churros after the show.” Then Buddy Boyle came out and said, “At least his generosity is better than his fashion sense.” In addition, the other audience members that participated in the show played along very well. It was also the first time that Brooke and I had seen the new format of the show where Sam and Ella tell a story by using members of the audience as Mike, Sulley, etc. It was definitely the best visit I’ve ever had to the Laugh Floor. Brooke and I decided to stop by Aloha Isle before Wishes started and each buy a Dole Whip Float because it’s our favorite treat at the Magic Kingdom. Brooke and I later realized that those floats were the only dinner that we ate that evening because we were having such a great time that we forgot to eat a regular dinner. Then we all went to watch Wishes. The feeling of watching Wishes while eating a Dole Whip Float is one of those things at WDW that is hard to explain but wonderful to experience. When it was time to head back to our bus stops, Brooke and me to Port Orleans French Quarter and Jared to the Beach Club, we said our goodbyes and parted ways. I had so much fun on that evening that I was sad to see him leave. It was one of the single best days I’ve ever had at WDW, and that is saying a lot considering how many times that I’ve been. I went to meet Jared on that day expecting to enhance our friendship, but what I got was so much more. I came away from that night with the feeling that I had just met the brother that I had never had. Brooke and I spent fourteen straight hours in the Magic Kingdom that day. I was exhausted and had tired, sore feet by the end of the evening, but it was a small price to pay for that feeling.

Be sure to visit Jared's view of this day (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=135529) on his day 4 trip report if you haven't already done so.

faline
06-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Have just finished reading Jared's report on your meeting, it was most interesting to read about the same time from your perspective! Sounds like both you and Jared had a great time! Intercottees truly are wonderful people!!

pdrlkr
06-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

dolphinmickey9170
06-11-2008, 06:00 PM
WOW!! Intercot friends are worth more than most people realize. I have made some really great connections that I hope will last a lifetime!! Thanks so much for taking us on your trip with you.:mickey:

disneydeb
06-11-2008, 06:16 PM
I hope to see you and Brooke in December.

ChipnDaleGal
06-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Sounds like you had an exceptionally good long day at the Magic Kingdom. Loved looking through your pictures. I think it is so great to have so many members of your family all there at the same time and looking like everyone is enjoying themselves. :mickey:

KylesMom
06-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Fourteen straight hours at MK - WOW, that's the stuff that dreams are made of! Unfortunately your pics are blocked here at work, so I'll have to check them out later. What a neat experience to finally meet Jared after all this time - cool story. Thanks for sharing with us all!:mickey:

2Epcot
06-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Joe, thanks for sharing your trip report and pictures. It was nice to read both you and Jared's sides of your meeting.

Edited to add: I liked the old Epcot memorabilia photos ... I still have a couple of those original Epcot license plates, the old mug and key chains. I also came across that same vinyl record album of orignal Epcot music when I was visiting my parents house last weekend ... I had left it there with other vinyl albums.

Jeff G
06-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Excellent trip report Joe:thumbsup:, thanks for sharing.

One question for you though, what is the "goat trick"?

SpecJoe Magic
06-14-2008, 03:10 AM
One question for you though, what is the "goat trick"?

There is a goat that is off to the right as the train tops the second lift hill. The idea is to keep your eyes focused on that goat for as long as possible. What happens is that the descent from that hill curves sharply to the left, so you end up having to turn your head to the right more to keep your eyes on the goat, and it causes your head to be jerked a little (it doesn't hurt) to the left as the train descends from the hill. It doesn't sound that exciting, but it's actually a fun thing to do. You can also use this technique for the goat that is directly up above just before the largest drop of the ride, which is located towards the end of that same section of track (I separate the track sections by the lift hills).

MauiMouse
06-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Joe, glad to see that you finally got to meet up with Jared. :thumbsup:

Looks like you had a great time in the Magic Kingdom too. Thanks for the report. :mickey:

wdwgrl377
06-14-2008, 11:49 AM
What a wonderful time you had! I really enjoyed reading your report and am so glad you got to meet Jared! That's awesome!

Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

ElenitaB
06-14-2008, 06:37 PM
I can vouch that Jared was just as excited and nervous about the prospect of meeting you as well. I'm so glad that you came away from meeting each other with a new brother! :thumbsup:

laward32
06-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Great report and great pics. :mickey:

Piglet822
07-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Joe, it sounds like you're packing a lot in but having a good time doing it :D
I'm so glad you finally got to meet Jared - he's a sweetie. I'm just sorry I wasn't able to meet up with y'all as originally planned. Perhaps next trip we can try again.

Lizzie
07-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a great day.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Day 1 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=134895)

Pictures from our trip (http://www.webshots.com/user/specjoemagic)

Keep in mind that this is not a step-by-step trip report. Instead, it is a summary of our trip. I explained this in detail on day 1 of my trip report.

Day 2:

A long day at the Magic Kingdom-

Today was our first park day at WDW. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom at about 11:00 A.M. We rode Pirates of the Caribbean first, as is usually our family tradition. I noticed once again that the skull and crossbones just before the drop is still missing. How long has it been gone? Maybe they will put it back in during the June refurbishment. We then waited around for a few minutes to see Jack Sparrow’s Pirate Tutorial. Some of the others had seen it before, but neither Brooke (my wife) nor myself had witnessed it. It was an enjoyable show. The guy who was Jack was spot on with his mannerisms and voice. I mentioned to the others that I bet Mack, Jack’s mate, really enjoys his job because he gets to be mean to guests and get away with it because it’s part of his character. I imagine there are quite a lot of Cast Members that would love to say a few nasty things to certain guests. When we were about to board Splash Mountain, Seth (my brother-in-law) decided that he didn’t want to sit in the front row because he didn’t want to get soaked. Brooke and I ended up switching rows with him, and we certainly got plenty of water action in the front. That was probably one of the wettest visits to Splash Mountain that I’ve ever experienced. Fortunately, it was a hot day so we dried out fast. Brooke had been wanting to eat at El Pirata y el Perico for a few years, but it seems like it’s closed quite often. It was open this time. It was her first time to eat there, and it had been several years since I had eaten there. We both had taco salad. It was nothing special, but it was pretty good, and I thought the price was reasonable for the amount of food that was served. Our visit to the Haunted Mansion was special because several of our group hadn’t experienced it since the refurbishment, and I was excited to see their reactions to it. Brooke and I were impressed by it last September when we rode it for the first time, and we were still thrilled with the changes when we rode it again on this trip. The others also seemed to enjoy the update better than the original version as well. I feel that the Haunted Mansion refurbishment was definitely one of the best executed updates that Disney has ever done. We did various other things throughout the day until I knew it was about time for Jared to arrive at the park. We had only been finished with the Carousel of Progress for a few minutes when he called my cell phone to say that he was on his way. We already had Space Mountain Fastpasses, and a few people in our group don’t ride it, so we grabbed one of the extra Fastpasses to take to Jared. Keep in mind that this was going to be the first time that Jared and I had ever met in person. We had talked online for about 7 years after meeting through Intercot prior to this impending meeting. I was a bit nervous because I wanted everything to go right. We had both wanted to meet in person for a while, but our WDW visits were never at the same time, and we live so far apart. Thankfully, his last park day was our first park day. I called to tell him that Brooke and I would meet him in front of the Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street. Once we were within sight of each other, we recognized each other immediately. Then we greeted with a handshake and a brief hug, and the slight nervous feeling that I had just melted away. He was introduced to Brooke, and then he and I launched into conversation that felt like it continued the rest of our evening together without stopping. We did many attractions together beginning at about 7:00 P.M. and going almost non-stop to about 1:00 A.M. thanks to Extra Magic Hours. His enthusiasm for my vast knowledge of Disney stories, facts, and legends made me happy. I thoroughly enjoy talking all about those things, but it’s often difficult to find someone that is willing to listen and take it all in. Jared told us a story about how he used to think Space Mountain has a fast track and a slow track because a lady told that to him and his dad years ago before he discovered otherwise by reading Intercot. This story was told while we were riding on the TTA with the intention of discussing what to do next, but we got so caught up in that story and others like it that we were near the end of the TTA before we realized that we still hadn’t decided what to do next. That’s just one example of the numerous topics we discussed, both Disney and non-Disney. After our ride together in the Haunted Mansion where I pointed out various hidden and behind-the-scenes things to Jared, he told me it was the best tour of the Haunted Mansion that he has ever had. He also said that being with me at the Magic Kingdom is like taking the Keys to the Kingdom tour without paying. Bragging on me about my Disney knowledge is one of the largest compliments that anyone can pay me, so I was very flattered by those statements. Among the other rides we visited together were Thunder Mountain, where I taught him the “goat trick”, Splash Mountain, Laugh Floor, TTA, Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, and even Cinderella’s Golden Carousel, which I hadn’t ridden in years. On our way to the Laugh Floor, we unexpectedly encountered most of my extended family that was on the trip. I never intended for Jared to meet any of them because I didn’t want him to be overwhelmed with meeting so many people that he doesn’t know at all, but it’s one of those things that is bound to happen. The phrase “it’s a small world after all” is more convincing to me with each year that I live. We had a particularly enjoyable time at the Laugh Floor, and I got picked on. I was wearing my very colorful WDW Hawaiian-style shirt that I refer to as my “billboard shirt.” It’s basically a collage of various WDW landmarks jumbled together that covers every inch of the shirt. Plus, I’m 6’9’’ tall so I was an enticing target for the monsters. They put my face up on the screen, and a caption under my face said, “Will treat everyone to churros after the show.” Then Buddy Boyle came out and said, “At least his generosity is better than his fashion sense.” In addition, the other audience members that participated in the show played along very well. It was also the first time that Brooke and I had seen the new format of the show where Sam and Ella tell a story by using members of the audience as Mike, Sulley, etc. It was definitely the best visit I’ve ever had to the Laugh Floor. Brooke and I decided to stop by Aloha Isle before Wishes started and each buy a Dole Whip Float because it’s our favorite treat at the Magic Kingdom. Brooke and I later realized that those floats were the only dinner that we ate that evening because we were having such a great time that we forgot to eat a regular dinner. Then we all went to watch Wishes. The feeling of watching Wishes while eating a Dole Whip Float is one of those things at WDW that is hard to explain but wonderful to experience. When it was time to head back to our bus stops, Brooke and me to Port Orleans French Quarter and Jared to the Beach Club, we said our goodbyes and parted ways. I had so much fun on that evening that I was sad to see him leave. It was one of the single best days I’ve ever had at WDW, and that is saying a lot considering how many times that I’ve been. I went to meet Jared on that day expecting to enhance our friendship, but what I got was so much more. I came away from that night with the feeling that I had just met the brother that I had never had. Brooke and I spent fourteen straight hours in the Magic Kingdom that day. I was exhausted and had tired, sore feet by the end of the evening, but it was a small price to pay for that feeling.

Be sure to visit Jared's view of this day (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=135529) on his day 4 trip report if you haven't already done so.

;) Great summary- I especially like hearing positive reports about the HM because its my favorite

Mackflava99
07-29-2008, 03:55 PM
i really enjoyed reading your report- thanks alot