PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wisdom Teeth!!!

Minnie Imagineer
06-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Next thursday i'm scheduled to go get all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled! The surgeon says they are impacted, but i'm in no pain at all. So anyway, I am choosing to be put under anesthesia and I am so nervous! I am terrified of needles!!! Can anyone tell me what it is like to get the anesthesia needle in your vein and have an IV? I have never had any bloodwork done so I am not used to needles going in my veins. My mom told me that they leave the needle in your arm the entire time...is this true?
Also, I am obviously nervous for the procedure. You can't feel/hear anything while you're under, right? What is it like waking up from the surguery? How long does it take you to recover (bruises, swelling, etc.)?
None of my friends have gotten this done before but they will probebly have to soon. I remember my sister getting this done 8 years ago when she was 17 too and I remember how she said it was so horrible then!!!

this is what my experience will be like-
:jaw: :doctor: :nurse: :ambal: :medic: :bolt:

DisneyDog
06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
I had all 4 widsom teeth removed and they were impacted (I wasn't in pain either). I slept through the entire thing and was so sleepy they had trouble waking me up at the end. If they are knocking you out, you shouldn't feel anything. The miserable part is afterwards when you have to care for the wounds. I took tylenol with codeine and I was sorry because it was very difficult to stop taking it (major headaches from withdrawl). Use lots of ice packs and tea bags help absord the blood/fluid from inside your mouth. Good luck!

Disney Doll
06-11-2008, 03:50 PM
I had all my wisdom teeth out when I was 15 or 16. It really wasn't too bad. Getting the IV in is the only pain you'll feel during the procedure. If you don't like needles just turn your head and look away. I remember only the first minute or so. Once they gave me the drugs I didn't become aware of what was doing on until the chilly wind hit me outside as I was being wheeled to the car to go home. Once I got home I slept most of the day since it took a little while for the drugs to wear off. I was swollen and bruised for maybe a week or so, but the pain wasn't too horrible. I remember having gauze in my mouth that first day which was uncomfortable, but not painful. The best advice I have is to take the pain meds they send you home with. If you wait and see you will probably be hurting.

DizNee143
06-11-2008, 03:57 PM
i had it done two years ago when i was 23..
its not that bad..at least it wasnt for me..
the needle for the anesthesia..you get hooked up to an IV..i have been under that stuff for multiple dental procedures (in the middle of getting an implant now) and then have always gotten my vein in the arm...i always look the other way..and one of the nurses always holds my hand...after that its nothing..they should slowly start giving you the anesthesia..and before you know it..your out..and then the next thing you know they are trying to wake you up..i know 2 of mine were impacted..and one broke on the way out..so with all that..my procedure took about 45 minutes..but its different for everyone..afterwards your mouth is stuffed with gauze to stop bleeding..and i had to do that for awhile..then your on a diet of mushy stuff for a few days..and no sucking through a straw..thats a no-no for at least the first few days or more..
swelling wasnt to bad for me..i left my oral surgeon with an ice pack..and i was told to leave it on for a half hour at a time on and off for the first 24 hours...so that helped with the swelling..and i had no bruising..but again that can be different for other people...cuz my sister had a slight black and blue on her cheek from when she had hers done..
i was scared going into it also..i was hyperventilating and almost passed out i was so scared..but they calmed me down and then next thing i knew i was in la-la land..it ended up not being as bad as i thought it was gonna be...i had it done on a thursday and took off from work that thursday and friday and heck the day after i went to the mall with my friend..lol...i was given percocet to take for the pain..but that drug does not like me..i used motrin instead and that worked really really well for me..
well i think i rambled on enough about this..if you wanna know anything..let me know..hope i helped ya out a little!!
goodluck!!!!!!! :D

The Reservoir Dog
06-11-2008, 05:55 PM
You're lucky to have all out at once. I was in pain. Went to the dentist and found out that my bottom teeth were impacted. however as I've got private insurance through work they only took out the tooth that was causing the pain. They left the other one so when that plays up they can make more money out of me.

However it is simple procedure and you will be out for the duration of the operation. I'm not a great fan of needles either but their is no real pain involved when getting the anesthetic.

After the operation you will feel some pain after a couple of days but you should be given painkillers so you should only feel some mild discomfort as well as looking like a chipmunk for a couple of days (and chipmunks are cute).

On the whole there are many worse operations you could go through so try not to worry yourself too much

I hope everything goes well for you. :thumbsup:

crazeedizneefinatic
06-11-2008, 06:33 PM
I had all 4 out at once years ago. I can say it really was not that bad. I don't remember a thing and woke up groggy and a bit swollen. I was lucky and did not bruise dark but that is a possibility. I remember the feeling of the stitches afterwards, they did not hurt just felt weird. I remember not being able to bend my head forward or backward or they would feel like they were pulling, again not painful just weird. Also I remember not being able to smoke or drink from a straw, I was not allowed to dry out the area where they were pulled from or that could cause a dry socket. Just use your pain meds and ice packs and in a few days and follow your dr's directions faithfully and you'll be good as new. I think the worse part of it is the anxiety. I was like you never had anything major done and was scared to death. Ask your dentist if they could prescrib something to take at home before the procedure for your nerves if that is a problem. You will be surprised at how simple the procedure is really. Let us know how it went.

pink
06-11-2008, 06:48 PM
I just had one of my wisdom teeth removed and it was impacted. I didn't chose to end up going under anthesia but that is because it would only one tooth. I think with four teeth at once you should go under. If you don't you will feel a lot of pressure in your mouth, loud cracking noises, etc.

Remember afterwards:

-Wash your mouth out with salt water (8 ounces with a teaspoon of salt) 2 days after the surgery for about a week or so to get food out of the holes and such.

-Have lot's of ice cream and soup handy because it may be hard to chew after the surgery.

-Ice your mouth 1/2 hour on 1/2 hour off for 2 days or your mouth will be all swollen and more painful.

-When they perscripe you painkillers and they start to wear off know that IB profeen and medicine like that helps in the meanwhile.

Don't panic, it will be over before you know it and you'll be so relieved. Good luck. :mickey:

pixiegoose
06-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I had all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth almost 10 years ago and I was knocked out for it. They gave me laughing gas first and then when they put the IV in, I just giggled. If you're worried about the needle, maybe laughing gas first might be an option?

I didn't feel/hear anything during the procedure. I remember that when they were trying to wake me up, I was thinking to myself "Just leave me alone, I'm sleeping." I was pretty out of it for the rest of the day but the next day I was out with my friends.

The biggest concern after getting them out is preventing dry sockets- get used to slurping instead of sucking. And if you have to eat something right after in order to take pain meds, wear a bib of some sort. My mom had to spoon feed me yogurt so I could take pain meds and it was a good thing she thought ahead and put a dish towel on me as a bib. :secret:

Just follow your doctor's instructions for aftercare and everything should be fine. Good luck!

Minnie Imagineer
06-20-2008, 11:26 AM
It's over!!! I had my surgery yesturday morning. When I went to the surgen's office I was almost in tears I was so nervous! The Dr. did some weird tests, blood press, that thing where they put a clamp on your finger, etc. When it was time for the needle, I just looked away and he said "this will just be a pinch"..I was so scared for the actual procedure, I didn't even notice the prick. However, it took me about 5 minutes to fall asleep which was odd. Well when I got home, I toom the pain meds the Dr. gave me which was not a good idea! I guess my system didn't like them because I threw up immediatly after taking the meds. So I just went with advil and tylenol for the rest of the day. I ate practically nothing, a half of a yogurt and some apple sauce. I almost passes out once, but I recovered from that. I iced my face on and off for 15-30 minutes which was good because now it being the 2nd day, I am not too swollen! That night at dinner, I tried eating chicken broth and those tiny spherical noodles that you don't have to chew. Well I threw that up right after dinner for some reason. So my mom went out to get my meds for nausea whcih worked! I did find something that I could eat- water/Itlaian ice from Rita's!! Now its the second day and I have to try to put my retainers back in :(. But I am anticipating Camp Rock tonight on the Disney Channel!!! :yay: If you don't get DC, then Camp Rock is on ABC on sat at 8, ABC sun at 8, and on disney.com on mon!!!!!!

Flower
06-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Glad to hear everything went well!!! :yay:

Marilyn Michetti
06-20-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't know if this will help, but I'm gonna tell you my story anyway.......

I was checking into my first duty station, (Phila. Navel Hosp.), right out of boot camp, and Corps. school. When you go to your permanent assignment, you go to every possible Dr. to clear you for duty. I got to the Dentist, who told me, "you WILL report on **/** at 10:00, to have your wisdom teeth extracted. I didn't have anything to say about it, I'm Government property. I "reported", lay on a table, fully dressed, with a towel over my eyes, was shot full of Novacaine - the deed was done, and I reported for my indoctrination as a Psychiatric Technician.

Honey, you've got NOTHING to worry about! Well, actually, it's scary no matter, so don't let me "pooh,pooh" your fear.

Good luck!:ill:

pink
06-20-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm glad your procedure is over, you must feel so relieved! :mickey:

AHOTE
06-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Glad to hear things went well for you and your recovery is well underway. :thumbsup: I'm still waiting for my wisdom teeth to come in. I have a standing gag with my dentist, I'm 59 and he's still looking for them. I guess I'm lucky that they never came in.

Minnie Imagineer
06-21-2008, 11:48 AM
The whole procedure and recovery really wasn't that bad! (it was better than I expected!). Thank you to everyone who offered their advice I really appreciate it!!
:thumbsup:

DisneyDog
06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
I am so glad to hear that everything went smoothly and you are doing well. Isn't it great to have it over and done with? Congrats!

Disneypixie513
06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I get my wisdom teeth out tomorrow and i'm so scared. I have no idea why but i'm terrified of getting the "happy meds" and falling asleep.
And then i'm scared of the aftermath.. I've gotten 10 teeth pulled before (not all at once) so i'm sorta used to it. But i'm still so terrified!
What did yall eat? My friend recommended some room temperature beef broth through a straw..Any opinions on what to eat and what not to?

DISNEYLOVERS5
06-25-2008, 07:27 AM
I get my wisdom teeth out tomorrow and i'm so scared. I have no idea why but i'm terrified of getting the "happy meds" and falling asleep.
And then i'm scared of the aftermath.. I've gotten 10 teeth pulled before (not all at once) so i'm sorta used to it. But i'm still so terrified!
What did yall eat? My friend recommended some room temperature beef broth through a straw..Any opinions on what to eat and what not to?

TRY NOT TO BE SCARED I KNOW THAT IS EASIER SAID THAN DONE YOU WILL BE FINE . PIXIE DUST AND PRAYERS COMING YOUR WAY

DizNee143
06-25-2008, 08:38 AM
My friend recommended some room temperature beef broth through a straw..Any opinions on what to eat and what not to?

NO straws!!!!

you can not drink from a straw after surgery...use a spoon..

eat all soft stuff...ice cream..pudding..jello..ice pops..chicken/beef broth..pastina..mash potatoes..i drank alot of the carnation instant breakfast drinks..they were pretty good!!

Disneypixie513
06-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Well it's all over..I haven't had any pain, but i've taken the pain meds just in case.
The numbness is pretty much gone,except for my bottom lip.
But no pain for me :D...my mouth just feels really weird..
And the IV wasn't too bad..they distracted me by asking me questions, and it really didn't hurt too much.

DISNEYLOVERS5
06-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Glad To Hear Theat You Are Not In Much Pain And That All Went Well