PDA

View Full Version : Jared's Triumphant Return to Trip Reports- Day 4 (5/25)

Jared
06-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Enough people, including Talie, have e-mailed or called me wondering when the next installment is coming, and my answer to all of them is, “It’s coming right now.”

Sunday, May 25
Originally, we planned to spend yesterday at Epcot and today at Animal Kingdom, concluding with dinner at Yak & Yeti Restaurant. After learning Toy Story Mania! Would be open during our trip, we adjusted the itinerary to spend a day at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. I still wanted to visit Animal Kingdom today skip Epcot, but my family vetoed my wishes.

While waiting in a rainstorm outside The Seas with Nemo & Friends the night before, I attempted to change our reservation literally to any Magic Kingdom or Epcot area restaurant to no avail. The only World Showcase eateries with an available seating were Nine Dragons Restaurant and Restaurant Marrakesh, both of which we have tried and left disappointed. Even Cape May Café, the Beach Club staple, didn’t have a table earlier than 8:30 p.m. Disappointed and already hungry, I resigned myself to two counter service meals the last full day of our trip.

But when I woke up in the morning, I decided to talk to the concierge in the lobby and try one last time. I explained the situation to the Cast Member, and she magically found a table around 6 for my group at Cape May Café. I don’t know if someone cancelled, or she found a way to cheat the system, but we had a new dinner plan at a solid buffet, and everyone was happy.

So the day was already off to a good start when we started walking to the International Gateway for our morning at Epcot. It was an Extra Magic Hours day, and we arrived shortly after 8:30, but the park was already packed. Traditionally, we heed the advice of avoiding that park that opens early, and now I know why. It was utter gridlock, as seemingly everybody at all the resorts migrated to the same place. It didn’t help it was the day before Memorial Day.

The wait time for Soarin’ was around 40 minutes at 8:45, so we immediately obtained FASTPASSes and moved on to Spaceship Earth for a second try of the new version. Still didn’t like it, although the cartoon at the end was hilarious. I still say the new descent undermines the otherwise serious tone of the ride and is a major disappointment.

As Ellen mentioned in her reply to my last installment, the Project Tomorrow interactive exhibit is a vast improvement to the old Global Neighborhood. We had time to spare, so we played with the games for at least 30 minutes. My mom and I had an especially fun time playing the game with the screen on the floor, and guests use metal detector-shaped sensors to push objects around and power the city. The driving game was a hoot, too.

We wanted to ride Test Track next, but the line was already an hour long. Fortunately, we were already able to obtain more FASTPASSes, which told us to return after 1 p.m. Not wanting to ride Soarin’ until lunchtime, we decided to take a spell from the heat next door at the Universe of Energy. Here is an attraction my family adores nobody else seems to like. Ellen DeGeneres is hilarious, the concept is brilliant and the implementation is still fascinating after all these years. I know it’s outdated, but we still experience it every trip.

Our Soarin’ window was approaching its end, so we went back there now. Even with FASTPASS, we had to wait about 20 minutes, as the regular line said 100 minutes. I still don’t believe anyone would queue up after seeing that on the overhead display. I felt strange getting in line for Toy Story Mania! with a 60-minute wait the day before.

Fortunately, we were seated in the front row and had a perfect view. I hadn’t been in the front in several years, and it was a thrill to enjoy the experience without dangling feet. Soarin’ is my dad’s favorite attraction in Disney. It is truly one of the most exhilarating feelings I’ve ever had.

Now the trouble started. We all wanted to ride Test Track, but my brother desperately wanted to have lunch at Beaches & Cream Soda Shop. In the months leading up to the trip, I told my family one of the real features of the Beach Club is its proximity to Beaches & Cream and its amazing ice cream treats. My brother, having looked at a photograph in the resort elevator of a hamburger, fries and shake, was determined. But considering the potential wait time there and our outstanding Test Track FASTPASSes, we did not know what to do. We lined up for Living with the Land to sort everything out.

By the time we returned from the greenhouses, we had a plan: We will have lunch at Sunshine Season Food Fair now, ride Test Track and return to the hotel. When we returned, one person would put our name on the Beaches & Cream waiting list and meet everybody back at the pool. Justin would have his burger, everyone else would just have a sundae. It was a perfect plan, and everyone was happy.

Sunshine Season Food Fair is my second-favorite counter service spot in Disney behind Columbia Harbour House. The chicken Caesar salad is always good, but I went with the turkey foccacia sandwich, which is another winner. I love the bread, and they never overload the mayonnaise. Justin and Elyssa had the salad, while my parents both had the Cuban veggie sandwich. We skipped the bakery section because we had Beaches & Cream to come later.

Less hungry and quite satisfied, we crossed the park to ride Test Track. The FASTPASS Return line extended far outside the building, and I was afraid we would have a long wait, thereby ruining the plan. Nope. We were in our car and cruising at 65 m.p.h. in 15 minutes or less. Test Track is another ride we like a lot of people complain about. I realize the tests leading up to the high-speed loop are pretty lame, but the feeling of zipping around that track is so exciting.

Jared
06-11-2008, 11:56 AM
It was well over 90 degrees now, and we were burning. Anyway, we had a plan to follow. We exited the park, and when we returned to the Beach Club, I went and put our name down on the list at Beaches & Cream. There was a 45-minute wait, which left us enough time to swim a bit before our snack. Stormalong Bay was as amazing today as it was Friday afternoon. The slide is extraordinary, the whirlpool and having sand on the bottom is so unique. We had fun splashing around for a few minutes, and then we sat down at the restaurant.

As expected, Justin ordered a cheeseburger, fries and a chocolate milkshake. Elyssa and I decided to share the Fudge Mud Slide (though I wanted the No Way Jose). We also ordered a side of onion rings to share.

I had been excited about Beaches & Cream immediately after confirming our hotel stay at the Beach Club. Morgan only enhanced the anticipation by extolling the restaurant's virtues for months during our nightly Instant Message conversations. It lived up to all the hype and expectations. The sundae was absolutely divine, and it was fun eating it in such a unique setting. Also, they served the best onion rings I have ever had in my life, and they went perfectly with vanilla ice cream, brownie and loads of hot fudge. Justin really liked the burger and shake, too.

Despite the old adage scaring people from swimming after eating, we hopped back into the pool after our snack. Hey, it was hot, and not even our ice cream cooled us off.

Dinnertime was approaching - I know we just ate - so we went back up to the room to shower and change. We checked into Cape May Café around 6:25 and were seated right away. Perhaps we just weren't very hungry, but I was disappointed with the buffet this time. I don't know why, exactly, but it wasn't as good as the other few times we have eaten there. The food was just a little worse. The only buffet I really love is Boma - Flavors of Africa, and we wouldn't choose to go to Cape May Café usually, but it served in a pinch when we didn't have another reservation.

I skipped out on dinner before my dad paid to catch the bus for the Magic Kingdom myself. If you look back to the first installment of the report, I wrote I met my oldest friend from the boards on this trip. I doubt anyone was wondering who that is, but I will tell you anyway: Joe (SpecJoeMagic).

Joe and I have been speaking online and on the phone for almost seven years, but we had never met in person yet. He was visiting Disney with his wife and entire extended family, and the dates worked out perfectly. We finally would meet in the greatest park in the world.

He had been at the park all day, but he wasn't too tired he couldn't play for a few more hours. We met at the end of the Main Street in front of the ice cream parlor. Joe is 6-foot-9, so he was easy to recognize. Almost immediately, I realized there was nothing weird about speaking with Joe off the boards in real life. There was an instant connection, and we were on our way.

Joe and his wife, Brooke, had a bunch of outstanding FASTPASSes for Space Mountain, so we started our evening there. We talked the entire time through the queue, especially about how Joe would possibly fit in one of the rocket vehicles. He did, somehow, and we blasted off. We exited having a lively discussion about the popular urban legend that one track is zippier or more exciting than the other. We decided they were both the same, but I told Joe a funny story about the first time I ever rode Space Mountain that made everyone laugh. He can share it with the group if he chooses (and remembers).

We moseyed over to the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor where we met up with Joe's extended family, and I had the pleasure of shaking about 10 hands belonging to people I may never see again. I really don't remember any of the names, except for Joe's sister, Laura.

No matter. They went to Space Mountain, while the three of us went to check out Mike and his pals. The show was hilarious - one of the funniest renditions I've ever seen. The “live animation” was so in sync with the dialogue, and the guest interaction seemed a little snappier. Maybe the top performers work nights on holiday weekends.

When we returned from Monstropolis, we were faced with an unusual conundrum in the Magic Kingdom: What to do next? After talking in circles, we came up with an easy solution: Ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority in circles until we figured out where to go. I hadn't ridden the TTA yet this trip, so I was happy to zoom around Tomorrowland for a bit.

Now I have a confession to make: I don't exactly remember the order in which Joe, Brooke and I did everything the rest of the night. My trip was a few weeks ago, and I didn't take any notes. Though meeting Joe and Brooke was literally the highlight of my entire vacation, perhaps outside seeing Talie at Disney's Hollywood Studios the day before, some of the minor details of the evening are fuzzy. I apologize. I will give it my best shot, and Joe can fill in the missing pieces later if he is so inclined.

I believe we decided to head into Liberty Square to ride The Haunted Mansion, which was a classic experience with Joe. He is so knowledgeable about every detail of that ride, and he pointed out hidden Mickeys and explained the history and concept of the entire attraction. I didn't know most of what he said, and now I feel like a minor expert on The Haunted Mansion lore.

SpectroMagic was beginning, which clogs up much of the park, so we had to find a way to maneuver ourselves from Liberty Square over to Adventureland, so we fought the crowds to that little hidden bridge to Frontierland, and somehow managed to beat the parade and escape! There was almost no wait for Pirates of the Caribbean, so we hopped on board. Along the way, Joe told the story of Western River Expedition, and the Imagineering of the Florida version of Pirates of the Caribbean. The Disneyland incarnation of the ride is so incredible, but the Magic Kingdom Pirates isn't too shabby, either.

It was almost time for Wishes, so we decided to grab a spot, stopping along the way for Extra Magic Hours wristbands and Dole Whips for Joe and Brooke - I was full after Beaches & Cream and Cape May Café on the same day.

We eventually stopped somewhere between Adventureland and the central hub. It wasn't a perfect view of Cinderella Castle, and a tree was in the way, but we still saw the fireworks and had a great time. Interestingly, Wishes is Joe and Brooke's favorite nighttime show. It is my least favorite of the three! Also, did anyone notice I didn't see either of the other fireworks extravaganza this trip? It just worked out that way. Oh well. I've seen them enough.

At the conclusion of Wishes, we circled back around to Frontierland for one last mountain run. Splash Mountain first, then Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to dry off. I have no reason explain why I like Splash so much. I did that already this report. Good news was we just missed the water cannons and didn't get wet. Here, once again, Joe pointed out hidden Mickeys and other little tricks.

We weren't too wet when we boarded Big Thunder. We sat in the back, which Joe said led to wilder ride. He was right, and riding at night makes such a huge difference. It's like an entirely different attraction. Joe also told me some tricks about where to look to enhance the experience. Can you tell he is something of an expert?

It was getting late, and I was starting to tire out. Joe and Brooke were, too, I think, considering they had been in the park since around 11 a.m. We walked through Fantasyland, but the lines for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan's Flight were way too long, so we moved on to Tomorrowland. I wanted one more spin on Space Mountain, thinking it would probably be the last ride of my trip, and Joe and Brooke were gracious enough to indulge me. I sat in the front row, which was an intense and somewhat nauseating experience. I felt bumped and jostled more than usual, but it was still amazing.

With our feet hurting, we decided to take one more look at Fantasyland to see if the lines had shortened. No dice. So we planned to leave. On the way, Brooke wanted to ride the carousel, so we stopped.

It was a perfect attraction to end the vacation with. It's so beautiful at night, and I merry-go-rounded myself until my next visit to the World, hopefully in December.

Meeting Joe was a thrill, and I know he agrees. We had an amazing evening together, and he'll be around to share his thoughts.

It really was an amazing day, but the trip wasn't over yet. I'll be back to wrap things up soon.

dolphinmickey9170
06-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Jared, I really enjoy your writing style. I'm not looking forward to the end, which is so near. Thanks for bringing us along with you!! Maybe we'll get to meet up sometime in one of our crazy mini meets.:mickey:

I love BTMRR at night as well, and riding in the back car is the best.

Capt. Sparrow
06-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks BTMRR is so much better at night!

I really enjoy reading your trip reports. I am sad to see the end is coming. I'm getting the exact feeling when its my last day in the world and I dont want to leave...:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Glad to finally get this installment! ;)

Sounds like you all had a great day; not surprised at the wait for B&C. Did you notice any potential expansion going on? I read a rumor that they were going to try to make the place bigger... :confused:

Good for you meeting up with Joe and family.
Looking forward to the final installment. :mickey:

JPL
06-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Awesome trip report:thumbsup:

Cape May cafe has always been hit or miss it can be really good or downright terrible. Sounds loike you hit a terrible night.

wdwgrl377
06-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Wow! I just love hearing about friends from the boards or wherever meeting up at WDW! That is really cool and I am so happy you got to meet up with Joe. Sounds like you all had a fantastic day! Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

DisneyCouture
06-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Jared I love the way u write. Awesome trip report! That is really cool that u finally got to meet Joe. I can't wait for the next installment.

mouseketeer mom
06-11-2008, 03:35 PM
I love your report, so happy to get the next installment and I'm looking forward to meeting you at the NYC meet in July!

SpecJoe Magic
06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Thank you so much for those kind words. Meeting you was definitely the highlight of my trip. My view on our meeting is contained within my day 2 trip report summary, which can be linked to by clicking here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1655376#post1655376).

That turkey foccacia at Sunshine Seasons is one of our favorite foods at WDW. We get it every time we eat there.

We still haven't gotten around to eating at Beaches and Cream, but your very positive review along with numerous other positive reviews that I've read in the past makes me want to put it on our list of priorities for our next trip.

My success at fitting into the rides at WDW is the result of knowing where to sit and how to sit. My family, after all of these years, is still amazed that I can fit into the logs at Splash Mountain.

I definitely remember the story you told about your first experience on Space Mountain. In fact, the story is part of my day 2 trip report summary. I also included more details about our great visit to the Laugh Floor.

I never intended to have you meet any of my extended family, but you know how that goes. I hope it wasn't too overwhelming for you, and I'm impressed that you remembered even one name.

I must also confess that I don't remember the order in which we did everything that evening, so my trip report doesn't exactly match yours.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading another fantastic day of your trip report. Thank you for taking the time to write in such great detail because I know that it's very time consuming from past experience.

faline
06-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Despite making some adjustments, you managed to have a wonderful day and made sure everyone got a bit of what they wanted! Your evening sounds terrific!

BluewaterBrad
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
:thumbsup::mickey:

offwego
06-11-2008, 04:52 PM
thank you so much for posting this Jared..it was a great deal of fun to read.:mickey:

pdrlkr
06-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

disneydeb
06-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Jared, wonderful again as always!

Thank you and we hope to see you again in December.

2Epcot
06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip Jared ... Another great report. :mickey2:

ElenitaB
06-11-2008, 11:16 PM
So glad that this trip turned out to so great: the visit with Talie, Toy Story Mania, B&C and meeting Joe! :thumbsup:

Thanks for another great installment!

KylesMom
06-12-2008, 10:45 AM
It's great to read about how your family is able to make compromises - and it sounds like there were quite a few this day! I'm sorry Cape May was a letdown - we've had a few of those as well.

Neat how you and Joe & Brooke were able to meet up for an evening of fun & friendship. Great posts, Jared - thanks for taking the time to share with us. Looking forward to your wrap-up! :mickey:

BriarRose0708
06-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Another great day! BTMRR is definately better at night than in the day time, and I sat in the very last car yesterday and think I have whiplash from it!

Jared
06-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Another great day! BTMRR is definately better at night than in the day time, and I sat in the very last car yesterday and think I have whiplash from it!
I still want to hear more about your trip!

BriarRose0708
06-13-2008, 10:47 AM
I still want to hear more about your trip!

you can read day 1 now; day 2 coming up!

Jeff G
06-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Great report! Beaches & Cream is on our must do list for September.

Jared
06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Great report! Beaches & Cream is on our must do list for September.
It should be. It's delicious.

Nikki, I read your reports!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-15-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm so glad you decided to write another trip report. I've always enjoyed your reports. Thank you for posting and it sounds like another fantastic trip.

MauiMouse
06-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Jared, another amazing day. Glad that you finally got to meet up with Joe, he seems amazing with all that knowledge. :thumbsup:

:mickey:

princessgirls
06-19-2008, 08:26 PM
A wonderful day Jared!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Julie:mickey: