PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with accomodation choices!

TiggeRia
06-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I have been working hard for many years to convince my Uncle to go to Disney World with me and my family. He has been to Disney before, but in the midst of the summer under not so great circumstances. He has refused to go back since then, but I have him convinced to try it one more time with my family, in hopes that I can sway his opinions. I want to show him some of the best that Disney can offer, without going completely overboard with money. I am looking at going next May, so that we can see the Flower and Garden show. My family absolutely loves the AKL and would like to stay there again, but this time it would be with 5 adults. Here is what I'm thinking: (All prices are accomodations only and for 7 nights)

Booking 2 Rooms at the AKL with a SV would run us ~$4830
Booking a 2 Bedroom AKL Villa with SV would run ~$5565
Renting DVC points from someone for the same 2 BR SV is ~$4095

Renting points seems to be the cheapest option, but with the greatest risks. Has anyone rented points before that has any opinions on it? Any other suggestions out there? I looked into booking a cabin at FW, but it just doesn't seem as "magical" to me. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!! :mickey:

TiggeRia
06-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. I will be getting an AP in the next month or so...I'm not sure if that would make any difference in price for booking 2 regular SV rooms??

johnO
06-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Maybe going in an "off peak" time of year would be better. When it isn't so hot and not as crowded. I love WDW but would be the first to tell anyone that peak season and the heat of the summer will definetly change your opinion on the place....

Figment52
06-13-2008, 11:44 AM
I am looking at going next May, so that we can see the Flower and Garden show.

Though the F&G festival is really nice, It can already be quite hot in May. If that's what swayed your uncle before, you may want to look at other time frames. Perhaps it's just us, but when we attened in 1998, we found it much hotter than we anticipated. The F&W festival in the fall is fun, and while it's still warm, it's definitely do-able. Especially late October and first week in November.

andreallybadeggs
06-13-2008, 12:13 PM
The F&G starts in March, I believe. Although you'll want to avoid Easter and Spring Breaks the temps might be a little cooler if you don't wait too late.
If you opt for May the earlier, the better of course.
If your uncle is like my dad, the heat was less of an issue than the crowds so first week of May might be nice, actually. It certainly shouldn't feel like July anyway.
There is also the Food/Wine Festival in the fall. Mid/Late November was really nice for us. We avoided T'giving crowds but loved the cooler temps and the Holiday decorations were already up in most areas.
As for your accommodations, if you can afford the prices you quoted, your uncle should be happy. Sounds like it will be a deluxe experience for him. Have seen some threads re. renting points from DVC. Several have reported good experiences but I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to taking even a slight risk with my WDW vacation. In your place, I'd contact Magical Journeys and let them advise on the timing of the visit as well as the best bang for the buck. Hope it all works out and you have a fabulous vacation together.:)

megustamex
06-13-2008, 01:34 PM
I agree that avoiding heat and crowds should make for a happier experience. We went last year during the first week of May and it was incredibly hot. Crowds were moderate but definitely not light. I second going in late Oct/early Nov for food and wine festival or if you really want good weather and light crowds go in mid-late January. You can pretty much walk on any ride and the weather is not hot but very very nice for winter - high 60's to low 70's. You should also be able to get incredibly low hotel rates at this time. If you go during a slower period (oct/nov or january), I suggest holding off on booking your room until you are closer to your trip. The Disney site or even Expedia and other travel sites will have great rates a few months out for slower periods. We have paid the same rate on Expedia and Travelocity as Florida Resident/AP rates for AK in the past - $175 a night. I actually saw this rate for early May on Expedia this year for AK.

italiangrl.08
06-13-2008, 06:45 PM
ONE WAY TO GO-Hey just think of it this way, who said you have to stay in 1 resort! The AKL is a great way to impress! But i understand how pricey it can be for 5 adults so no one ever said you couldn't do like 3 days there and then 4 days somewhere with a more moderate price! This way your uncle can see the AMAZING things Disney :mickey: is capable of without having to see the expensive side too! Oh but i would start with a moderate resort, like umm how bout the board walk or something along those lines! Then wow him with the AKL! Just to insure it is an unforgettable trip!!! This may help if you really want to try to stay at AKL- if your flexible try # 2!

SECOND WAY TO GO!- There are many other resorts sure to dazzle, but you may not even need a pricey or even moderate resort to show him WDW like you know it!:magic: Look into places that are near the parks, I'm talking walking distance! That way no matter how the resort itself is you will always have a back up plan to hop right over to one of the parks!!!!!!

I really hope i helped, you sound like your in quite a pickle!:crowd: If you can't find anything complimentary to mine or other intercot members suggestions :rocks: then hey make it a family disscussion, who ever has an opinion tell them to suggest it, and you'll do your best!!!!
:tink: i'll keep my fingers crossed :fingers: