PDA

View Full Version : Interstate 95 vs. 81 & 77

Boom Baby
06-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I will be driving to WDW from eastern PA and stopping in Columbia, SC to spend the night with family. I can travel 95 and then head west in SC to Columbia -or- travel 81 and then 77 through VA and NC. The mileage is about the same. Has anyone tried both routes (unlikely, I know) or maybe had an experience with either route? Thank you in advance.

g0189a
06-10-2008, 11:32 AM
I have done the 77/81 route coming back from Disney World to eastern PA. It's a bit longer than I-95 but you avoid DC traffic and the chance of any long back ups for Virginia Beach (Saturday mornings this is a killer this time of year). Also an accident on I-95 through the Carolina's can cause big back ups with no way off for miles but I suppose it could do the same on I-81 and I-77.

I enjoyed the trip on I-81 and I-77 it's pretty easy driving. From my house the I-81 route is 648 miles, I-95 is 619 miles. But it is only 15 minutes longer drive time by Google maps though for a bit over 10 hours. You should have about 7 hours the next day to DW for not a bad drive.

We usually take the I-95 route down and stay in Santee, SC for the night.

Glenn

wdwfansince75
06-10-2008, 12:35 PM
DW and I are originally from NE PA and visit several times a year. DD#1 and family live in Harleysville. We use 81 and 77 most of the time to visit, and regret it every time we attempt to use 95 instead.

IMHO, if you are north of PA Turnpike, and west of the NE Extension, 81 and 77 are the best bet....95 between Philadelphia and Richmond is deliberately poorly engineered as part of a huge government conspiracy to con the US public into believing that more funds are needed to cure highway congestion.

As for original issue, of stopping for a visit in Columbia, that is the tie-breaker....It is on the way for the 81-77 route, and a back-tracking for the 85 route.

r4kids
06-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I would highly suggest route 81 to 64 ( after Harrisonburg near Staunton)and take the round about route 288 and hit 95 just south of Richmond. I think that would be your best bet. 81 typically has alot of tractor trailers which could hold you up. Also if at all possible try to avoid major cities by passing through at off times. We drove down and back to DW in April and hardly hit any traffic. We are in Charles Town, WV. 1 hr 15 mins from DC, so it tends to have heavy traffic.

Fryguy
06-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Occasionally in my job I need to head south and I have taken both routes over time. My preferred path is always 81 and never 95 due to traffic. The ride on 81 is so much more scenic and enjoyable.

rt207
06-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I drive from NEPA on every trip. On my first trip I took the 95 route and I hated the Baltimore and DC areas so I avoid that way now. I take 81 to 17 (not 77) which, I believe, merges onto 64 and get on 95 just north of Richmond.

Hull-onian
06-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Those are great trips on driving :car: south.

I hope everyone has a :fan: going with this heatwave.

hokies4life
06-10-2008, 05:56 PM
You don't say when you're going, but as a Virginia Tech grad from Blacksburg (just off 81) I only see one problem with taking 81 down south. Depending on what time of year you go (holidays, beginning/end of semesters) you can run into HORRENDOUS traffic on 81 from all the college students/families [it took me 9 hours to go a total of 250 miles after Thanksgiving one year]. But if you're going anywhere from May-beginning of August you should be fine, or other "off peak" times of the year.

:chipdale:

Boom Baby
06-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the advice! As for hoskies4life's comment, we will be traveling Saturday, August 16th. That just may be the weekend that all the kids to back to college. I guess I could do some research on when the schools along that route start. We plan to leave very early in the morning (so the kids will sleep). I hope to be through VA by 8 or 9 AM.

Boom Baby
06-11-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm sorry, I misspelled hokies4life's username, I guess you can tell I'm not a big college sports fan, oops. Anyway it looks like VA Tech and JMU start classes the next week, Aug. 25th. So, I think I would be okay there, any others I should check? Thanks again for that advice, I had not thought of that. That college traffic can be brutal. I wonder though, if the same would be true for 95. I am leaning toward 81, it seems like most have suggested that route.

hokies4life
06-11-2008, 12:01 PM
There may be some people driving down that weekend, but most likely it should be fine. I would still go with 81 because its such a nice drive through the mountains. Just watch out for a little traffic around Harrisonburg and Christiansburg/Blacksburg. I would say Charlottesville too for UVA but I think they start a little later. But if you're leaving early in the morning you should miss most/all the traffic.

I hope you have a good trip!

:chipdale: