PDA

View Full Version : The Strangers

daparish
06-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Anyone see The Strangers? DH and I saw it today. It was ok. I am not much into horror movies but DH loves them. I thought I would be jumping through the entire movie. I jumped a few times but it was not as scary as I thought it would be. It is suppose to be based on a true story. I tried finding info on the true story and there really is not much there. Many are saying it is based on the Manson murders while others are saying it is based on an unsolved murder mystery that took place in a cabin in Northern California.

luvdiznee
06-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm not into horror movies either. I'm just too chickeny. :secret:But I was interested in this movie also because of hearing that it was based on actual events. I just can't bring myself to see it. :(

WDWFREAK101
06-09-2008, 07:35 PM
It isn't as scary as you think it will be. I think that horror movies are eiether REALLY fun or REALLY stupid. All of the horror movies I have seen are really predictable. There was a movie about Big Foot a long time ago. I forgot the name but there was a scene where a guy was hiding from Big Foot (Yeah, I guess Big Foot is dangerous) and there is a strangly shaped window in the middle of a wall for some reason. I though to myself "Windows arn't put in places like that... Obvioulsy Big Foot will come in there and grab the guy through the window" of course thats what happened. This movie is like that. I was interested in it because I didn't know what it was about and I never really saw what the "Strangers" looked like untill I saw a picture of them in the paper and I was VERY dissapointed. The "dad" (as I took it) had toilet paper around his head and the "mom" wore a mask and the "kid" looked well... I don't know what he was. :confused: The film was a little bit fun if you just relax and enjoy it though. I can't take horror films seriously at ALL so of course I was sitting there scoffing about how unrealistic it was. There was one scene I really liked though. I don't want to give away the ending but if you watch the movie carefully, it is pretty predictable. If you get scared easily, I advise you not to see it though. You won't miss anything. It isn't going to get any awards but it is fun for a nice 2 hour matinee. I would give it 2.5/5 stars. :number1:

KineGirl
06-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I saw this movie too. I love horror/thriller movies and while this wasnt the scariest movie I ever seen, it had lots of BOO! moments. My hubby who is more "reactionary", lets just say, kept flinching. IDK about the PP comments about Dads wearing TP and stuff - looked like a burlap sack to me and the other two were wearing these crazy masks. In fact I dont know about the family of killers premise at all but then the movie does leave you guessing and some blanks left to be filled in. :confused: The movie did have a creepy premise...

Alone in the middle of wooded, rural America. Its 4 am .. knock knock knock. You go to the door and a girl asks "Is Tamara home?". Of course there is no Tamara who lives there....

Things get moved or go missing, ppl creeping around the house off in the shadows just far away enough you cant quite see their faces..

You get the point ;) I went home and stood outside the window of our kitchen and stared inside, while my 17 y.o. daughter (who didnt see the movie) was doing dishes - when she looked up and saw me it scared the bejeezus out of her! LOL

Strmchsr
06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
**Very mini-spoiler alert***

While I didn't find this movie particularly scary or good (it was not the worst I had ever seen, but not great, either) what's really disturbing me in the last few years with the horror genre is the predictability that the bad guy always wins. Back in the day it was predictable that you'd get down to 1 or 2 "survivors" of the initial group (my friends and I would start a pool as to the order the characters were bumped off and who would be the survivor) and that 1 survivor (or 2) would finally kill the bad guy in the end (or until the next sequel). Now every horror movie out there is just as predictable, but evil always wins. "The Strangers" fits right into that mold. Name me any horror movie in the last 5 years and here's how it ends...it appears our hero/heroine has gotten away you start to relax then out jumps the bad guy and finishes off the hero. Evil wins. Good loses. End of story. Not exactly what I call entertainment. I get enough of that in reality. Hopefully things will shift again soon.

daparish
06-09-2008, 08:27 PM
As much as I say it was not that scary, ask me that tomorrow night while DH is out playing tennis. I already have plans to watch tv in the bedroom locked in with my dog. Our living room has a huge picture window so I know I will not be watching tv there. If someone knocks on my door you all will probably hear me sceaming. What is really scary is, I grew up on the bayou in south Louisiana. It is a very small community where we left our keys in the car at night and never, ever locked our doors. We did not even own keys to our house. All of that changed when I married a city boy and moved into the big city. Now, I can not believe we would sleep with our doors unlocked.:doh:

luvdiznee
06-10-2008, 12:25 PM
What was funny, too was when we were talking about going to see this, it sounded like there was a knock at our door. Well when we went to look there was no one. :confused:But we chalked it up to our noisy neighbors (we live in an apartment) who have kids that you can hear all day. :secret::thedolls: