PDA

View Full Version : DME luggage dilemma

TennesseeTink
06-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Okay...here's the deal. DH and I were originally booked for POP and received our ME luggage tags about three weeks ago. A couple of days later, we decided to add a day to the front of our stay and change resorts to POFQ. When I called to make the changes, I gave the CM our new flight info and asked if the new luggage tags would be here on time. He assured me that 3 weeks was more than enough time to receive the tags and all was well. Well, here we are 5 days before we leave and no tags. I called today after the mail ran to ask about it. I was told that the tags were mailed on May 5th(the original POP tags). I told her about the changes and she said there was no way they could get me the tags now before we leave.

She said we have 2 options: we can pick up our own luggage at MCO and then check in at the DME desk; or we check in at DME desk first and request that they get our luggage. Either way our luggage will be on the conveyor belt instead of pulled right off the plane. Am I correct in assuming that either way we will have to get our bags off the bus and into the resort instead of them being delivered to our room sight unseen? I know that Bell Services can hold the bags for us in case our room's not ready so we can go play after we get checked in.

Out of these two options I think I'd rather just get our bags ourselves. Without the DME tags on the luggage, I don't have the same piece of mind that the bags will end up in the right place. Anyone ever have to do this?

Don't get me wrong, a free ride's still a free ride but somehow I don't think we're getting the full DME experience.:(

TennesseeTink
06-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Now I'm considering renting a car. We've always driven to WDW and enjoy having our own vehicle. This is the first time we've ever flown. I was just reading another thread about how there aren't as many buses because of gas and people are waiting for longer than normal for buses to and from resorts. This new info coupled with our DME tag issue is pointing me towards a rental. I just got a rate for our entire stay for less that $92 w/tax. Any suggestions?

PetefromRI
06-09-2008, 05:35 PM
We usually get our own luggage whenever we take the ME.I just like having my stuff with me when we get to our room.I was also thinking of getting a towncar next trip because the Disney busses seem to be getting fuller and the lines are getting longer.I think it all depends on when you go.

Ed
06-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Just to clarify one item, DME bags are not taken directly from the plane to the DME luggage trucks. The airline brings them into the same area as everyone else's bags, where DME employees sort them out so they don't go onto the bag carousel.

There's been no noticeable decrease in the number of DME buses at the airport; bus traffic appears just as heavy as it has been for the last few years.

The good folks at the DME check-in desk should be able to help you with the problem once you arrive.

HOWEVER.... The $92 price for a rental is quite good for Orlando, and it does give you the option of having your own transportation during your stay. It may also give you a little more flexibility regarding the time element getting back to the airport for your return flight. DME usually insists on picking you up several hours before your flight time.

Decisions, decisions.... your call at this point.

CleveRocks
06-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Okay...here's the deal. DH and I were originally booked for POP and received our ME luggage tags about three weeks ago. A couple of days later, we decided to add a day to the front of our stay and change resorts to POFQ. When I called to make the changes, I gave the CM our new flight info and asked if the new luggage tags would be here on time. He assured me that 3 weeks was more than enough time to receive the tags and all was well. Well, here we are 5 days before we leave and no tags. I called today after the mail ran to ask about it. I was told that the tags were mailed on May 5th(the original POP tags). I told her about the changes and she said there was no way they could get me the tags now before we leave.

She said we have 2 options: we can pick up our own luggage at MCO and then check in at the DME desk; or we check in at DME desk first and request that they get our luggage. Either way our luggage will be on the conveyor belt instead of pulled right off the plane. Am I correct in assuming that either way we will have to get our bags off the bus and into the resort instead of them being delivered to our room sight unseen? I know that Bell Services can hold the bags for us in case our room's not ready so we can go play after we get checked in.

Out of these two options I think I'd rather just get our bags ourselves. Without the DME tags on the luggage, I don't have the same piece of mind that the bags will end up in the right place. Anyone ever have to do this?

Don't get me wrong, a free ride's still a free ride but somehow I don't think we're getting the full DME experience.:(

The option where you skip baggage claim and check-in with DME and they then get your bags for you from the baggage claim carousel -- this has been the standard "Plan B" procedure since Day One (May 5, 2005); I know, because I was prepared to use it back on Day 4. Thousands if not MILLIONS of people have done it this way over the past 3 years, and we've never read of a single complaint that it worked out badly.

It sounds scary to you, but to the DME staff it's just another day at the office.

But here's the much more important question that no one has asked ... it's a very important question. DID YOUR ENTIRE RESORT STAY CHANGE TO POFQ? ARE YOU DOING ONE NIGHT AT POFQ AND THE REST AT POP, OR IS IT ALL AT POFQ???

And if it's all at POFQ, here's the million dollar question ... DID YOUR RESERVATION NUMBER CHANGE???

This is so important because of how DME luggage is routed. If your reservation number stayed the same, then YOU CAN USE YOUR "OLD" POP CENTURY DME TAGS!!!

Here's why ... each DME tag has a barcode. Think of the barcode as the computer equivalent of your reservation number. WHen your bags are at Disney's luggage sorting facility at the airport, the bags are sorted by computer scan. When that barcode is scanned, it accesses your resort reservation information. If your reservation (with that same number) is now at POFQ, then that's where the bags will be routed.

The official word from DME is that you should take a black marker and cross out Pop Century on the tag and perhaps write in POFQ. This is just in case a CM trying to be helpful sees a bag marked for Pop in the POFQ section. Just make sure you leave the barcode untouched!!!

Seriously, if your reservation number hasn't changed, then just use the Pop DME tags.

If you don't want to believe me, please call DME directly at 866-599-0951 and ask them about what I just wrote. I guarantee they'll tell you it's entirely right.

ANd then you'll feel better!!!

chicade88
06-09-2008, 10:44 PM
In regard to the longer wait time for busses, unless we just hit it on a bad time I would have to say this is true. We went about a month ago and went the same time last year. Last year we waited about fifteen minutes in line. This year, we wait an HOUR in line for a bus. And it wasn't just our line that was long. They all were. It was an uncomfortable (HOT) beginning to a trip and although we had a wonderful time, if that becomes the norm, we might shell out a little more for a faster mode of transport.

TennesseeTink
06-09-2008, 11:01 PM
The option where you skip baggage claim and check-in with DME and they then get your bags for you from the baggage claim carousel -- this has been the standard "Plan B" procedure since Day One (May 5, 2005); I know, because I was prepared to use it back on Day 4. Thousands if not MILLIONS of people have done it this way over the past 3 years, and we've never read of a single complaint that it worked out badly.

It sounds scary to you, but to the DME staff it's just another day at the office.

But here's the much more important question that no one has asked ... it's a very important question. DID YOUR ENTIRE RESORT STAY CHANGE TO POFQ? ARE YOU DOING ONE NIGHT AT POFQ AND THE REST AT POP, OR IS IT ALL AT POFQ???

And if it's all at POFQ, here's the million dollar question ... DID YOUR RESERVATION NUMBER CHANGE???

This is so important because of how DME luggage is routed. If your reservation number stayed the same, then YOU CAN USE YOUR "OLD" POP CENTURY DME TAGS!!!

Here's why ... each DME tag has a barcode. Think of the barcode as the computer equivalent of your reservation number. WHen your bags are at Disney's luggage sorting facility at the airport, the bags are sorted by computer scan. When that barcode is scanned, it accesses your resort reservation information. If your reservation (with that same number) is now at POFQ, then that's where the bags will be routed.

The official word from DME is that you should take a black marker and cross out Pop Century on the tag and perhaps write in POFQ. This is just in case a CM trying to be helpful sees a bag marked for Pop in the POFQ section. Just make sure you leave the barcode untouched!!!

Seriously, if your reservation number hasn't changed, then just use the Pop DME tags.

If you don't want to believe me, please call DME directly at 866-599-0951 and ask them about what I just wrote. I guarantee they'll tell you it's entirely right.

ANd then you'll feel better!!!

Now that is a very handy piece of info!!:D We changed the whole stay to POFQ and our reservation number never changed. This is good to know. Thanks a bunch!

KineGirl
06-09-2008, 11:33 PM
In regard to the longer wait time for busses, unless we just hit it on a bad time I would have to say this is true. We went about a month ago and went the same time last year. Last year we waited about fifteen minutes in line. This year, we wait an HOUR in line for a bus. And it wasn't just our line that was long. They all were. It was an uncomfortable (HOT) beginning to a trip and although we had a wonderful time, if that becomes the norm, we might shell out a little more for a faster mode of transport.

My experience with DME has been the opposite in regards of the buses. Ive felt the buses were beautiful and comfortable seat and temperature wise. I love the little preview movie they show too!

As for the OP, I had a situation that was similar and I grabbed my own bags - no biggie. When I got to the bus the driver loaded them. We didnt have a ton of bags so when DD got to the resort we just took our own stuff to the room.

I would go with the Pop tags though according to what the PP said - of course, Id HAVE to call to confirm that myself even if a million ppl said it were true! ;) Thats just the control freak in me. :mickey:

TennesseeTink
06-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Well I called DME this morning to verify all the above and make sure that they did indeed have the correct flight info. I spoke with Janet who was extremely helpful!:thumbsup: She said to scratch out POP and the original date and put down POFQ and correct date. She verified the flight info and that the reservation number was the same so we are good to go! I'm still a bit concerned about the buses from the resort to the parks but, hey, it's just DH and I(no kids this trip) and we're not in a big rush to get anywhere so we'll just go with the flow.

Thanks fellow Intercotees for all your help and input! You all rock as usual!:rocks:

Figment52
06-10-2008, 11:13 PM
We've only used DME once, for the last trip, but we did grab our own bags. Since it's only myself and DD, we only had 2 bags, and it wasn't a hassle to bring them to the bus. If I remember correctly, there were a few other people who did the same, and it wasn't a big deal.

We plan on doing this again in October, if only for peace of mind. I don't think there have been any problems lately with people not getting their bags, but it's just nice to have them from the get go.