PDA

View Full Version : Passports stamped?

WonderlandsMostWanted
06-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I swear this has been asked before, but I can't find it. Do they stamp your passport at Nassau, or can you have it stamped somewhere?

I'm sorry if it's a dumb question, but I've never been outside teh country, (other than a daytrip to TJ when I lived in SoCal, and that doesn't really "count") I'm getting my first passport, and I don't know how the whole stamping things process works. :D

TammiMcMan
06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Passport stamping is not automatic. You do have a couple of choices though. The first is to leave your passport with DCL guest services the day before you arrive in port (includes Castaway Cay). When immigration comes on board, they will stamp the passport for you.

The other option is to take your passport with you into Nassau. You can check with the guard at the welcome center, but I believe the office is located right inside. They'll be happy to put a stamp in your passport.

WonderlandsMostWanted
06-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Passport stamping is not automatic. You do have a couple of choices though. The first is to leave your passport with DCL guest services the day before you arrive in port (includes Castaway Cay). When immigration comes on board, they will stamp the passport for you.

The other option is to take your passport with you into Nassau. You can check with the guard at the welcome center, but I believe the office is located right inside. They'll be happy to put a stamp in your passport.

Thank you! If I elect to leave my passport with guest services, do I then pick it up from them before I depart the ship at port? I'm assuming I need it while in Nassau?

DisneyDudet
06-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Thank you! If I elect to leave my passport with guest services, do I then pick it up from them before I depart the ship at port? I'm assuming I need it while in Nassau?

You do not NEED it in Nassau, a picture ID will do, but if you happen to have a situation, I wouldn't want my passport stuck on a ship when I'm not there w/ it.

I didn't know you could leave it w/ GS to have it stamped, but I do know you can head to the office in Nassau, but I hear that staffing of that office is touch and go.

TammiMcMan
06-09-2008, 08:44 PM
No passport necessary in Nassua, just your stateroom key and license.

adoptionislove
06-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Oh Man,

I am so sad. We waited for what seemed like HOURS at our local passport office, only to get to Nassau and NO stamp on the passport. I sure wish I knew about that before I got there. Oh, well, I will need to go again, right!!!:mickey:

tundramom
06-22-2008, 05:04 PM
No passport necessary in Nassua, just your stateroom key and license.

We were wondering about this ourselves. We got our cruise package for October and it actually recommends that you photocopy your passport and leave the original in the safe onboard. DH and I are both a little nervous about being on foreign soil without our actual passport ( not that we intend on getting into trouble:blush:) is this commonly done? I was also surprised that Disney actually mentions pickpocketing as a problem, it must be pretty bad if they bring it up?

TammiMcMan
06-22-2008, 05:24 PM
A passport is not necessary to get back on the ship in Nassau, however if you get stranded there or have an emergency where you need to fly back to the US, you won't be able to get past US customs without your passport.

Some people just don't feel comfortable being without their passport, but if you consider that DCL holds the passports for all foreign travelers, there must be plenty of folks walking aorund with just a copy. I don't believe you could actually get through US customs with nothing more than a copy, but it would help the US Embassy to expediate any travel documents you might need.

You can find plenty of helpful travel supplies, like the lanyards or waist wallets that you can tuck under your shirt. I know there are also waterproof holders, so you don't have to leave valuables just sitting on the beach while you swim.

Unfortunately, I think many of us put our guard down when we go on vacation. Theft is pretty common everywhere, so even in a relaxing atmosphere, we have to make sure that we aren't presenting ourselves as an easy target. That could mean putting a wallet in the front pants pocket as opposed to the back, and/or using a zippered purse with a long enough strap to sling around your neck.