PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle Takeoff Dec 4th, 2008

sloslo
06-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Does anyone know if this will affect traffic to Cape Canaveral. Nasa's website shows a shuttle departing on Dec 4th. We're on thye Wonder on Dec 4.:confused:

DisneyDudet
06-09-2008, 10:18 AM
It could. We went in 2002 to watch a shuttle launch, and traffic really didn't get heavy until you got close to NASA. There are so many places that people watch the launch that not any one place will be overly crowded, except maybe the NASA Visitor's Center.

I would head out as early as possible, considering you've already paid for that time on the ship. Depending on the time of the launch, getting there may not be a problem.

Hopefully you'll get to see it from the ship. Its an amazing sight, and you'll have a GREAT view!

sgundell
06-09-2008, 11:00 AM
If the shuttle does, indeed, launch on Dec 4th as scheduled, you can expect traffic. Allow plenty of time to get to Cape Canaveral.

But, bear in mind that shuttle launches are often delayed -- especially that time of year.

tarzan_rocks
06-10-2008, 07:44 AM
There was a shuttle launch on Saturday, May 31 at 5:02 PM. We stayed on Cape Canaveral Saturday night prior to departing on the Wonder on Sunday.

We came in to Cape Canaveral Saturday around 3PM. There was heavy traffic coming in from the Orlando area. There were two places where traffic stopped, once at a tollbooth and another just in the middle of the highway. I estimate it added about 45 minutes to our trip.

My brother's family came into the Cape at about the time of the launch. According to his GPS he was less than four miles from the Residence Inn when the shuttle went up and it took him an hour and a half to get to the hotel.

Astronaut Blvd. in front of the hotel was practically stopped until at least 7:30 that I saw.

tr

Piglet822
06-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Yes, there is always extra traffic with a launch, especially if it's a weekend launch.
I would allow at least an extra hour for travel.