PDA

View Full Version : Tonsilectomy

tinktude
06-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Can anyone give some helpful hints about recovery from tonsilectomy?

I hear that it is harder to recover from as an adult. I am scheduled to have surgery on July 15th.:(

tinkerbellybutton
06-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I can't offer much advice, I've never had it done but I wanted to wish you luck :pixie: and let you know I will be thinking of you. Take care of yourself and follow Drs orders. :doctor:

disneydeb
06-07-2008, 08:43 PM
soup - jello - ice cream - milkshakes - root beer floats - tylenol and ice chips..

Good Luck!!:pixie:

MomtoRooandRie
06-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I had my tonsils out when I was 21!! The biggest problem I had was terrible ear aches during the recovery peroid of about a week or so.. My doctor said this was common. Keep lots of Tylenol / Ibuprofen on hand, popsicles, jello etc... and get lots of rest. I really didn't feel that well for about a week. The bonus was I lost about 10 pounds, but it was a heck of a way to diet!! Good Luck!! It was worth it , my sore throats, strep etc.. all but disappeared.

RockinRollerMom
06-07-2008, 10:48 PM
My DH had his out in his mid 20's and was pretty uncomfortable for about a week. If you have the option of getting your pain medicine in pill or liquid form, take the liquid! They sent my DH home with pills which were very hard for him to swallow the first couple of days. We ended up calling the doc back and getting the same medicine in liquid form. Prepare by getting lots of soft food. Popcicles, jello, soup, mashed potatoes, ice-cream, pudding etc.

Even though he was pretty miserable for a week or so he'll tell any-one who asks that it was totally worth it. No more strep or throat absesses since.

Good Luck!

Goofeygal
06-07-2008, 11:08 PM
:pixie:Here's a little pixie dust to get you through.

Mousefever
06-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I hope the Tonsilectomy will fix any throat problems! Beware of any guarantees that you will avoid strep in the future though. I had mine out when I was five, and I've had strep every few years since then. Now, if you were getting strep every year before your operation, this would obviously be an improvement. I'm sure you will have fewer infections on the whole, so it will be worth it for you.

I'm a little tired of being told that I can't possibly have strep because my tonsils are gone. Thank goodness for the rapid test so that the doc has to eat his words.

Good luck on your recovery!

Amy

:dory:

princessjojo
06-08-2008, 09:48 AM
:pixie: I just wanted to wish you luck. One thing to keep in mind when eating lots of jello, popsicles and puddings is to stay away from the red and browns. The thing is that with a tonsilectomy, as with almost anything there is some, usually minimal bleeding. Chances are slim and none that you will have any problems. But when you eat red and brown foods, you can't tell if you've been swallowing any amounts of blood with your food or saliva if you should get sick. But you really shouldn't have to worry. BTW Edy's makes GREAT lime popsicles.

Good Luck!!!

d_m_n_n
06-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I had mine out several years ago at 18. I don't do surgery well (outpatient always requires a night in the hospital for me) but it wasn't too bad. I lived off the Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks for at least a week. Piece of advice, don't try to drink from straws for a while...it took me about 2 weeks to be able to drink from a straw without hurting my ears!

daparish
06-08-2008, 03:05 PM
No advice just wanted to wish you luck on a speedy recovery.:pixie:

Boojum
06-09-2008, 01:31 AM
I won't lie---it wasn't pretty. I stayed in the hospital two days because of extreme nausea/vomiting after the procedure.

Make it clear to your family beforehand that you're going to be completely useless for awhile. Don't expect anything of yourself. Rent a bunch of movies you've been wanting to watch; buy a few books you've been wanting to read.

Stock up ahead of time on popsicles, sherbet (I found pineapple to be the least irritating), jello, and juices. Carbonated drinks sting. Vanilla milkshakes feel wonderful.

If your doctor is willing to give you prescription pain meds, take them. Heck, ask for them. My pain was severe enough that I took Vicodin for two weeks afterward.

Sorry if I spooked you, but I wish someone had prepared ME!! Best of luck to you!

Momof2boys
06-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I had mine out about 4 years ago when I was 28. The doc warned me about the recovery. I got home and ended up going back into the hospital later that day because the liquid pain med was making me vomit, which ended up causing bleeding. I was off work for 2 weeks and didn't talk for the first week. At all. Wrote everything down. Get plenty of books or DVDs because you just lay.

But on the up side, I've only gotten strep twice since then.

JanetMegan
06-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm going to PM with some details from mine...

SteveL
06-10-2008, 12:51 PM
From my experience I would advise you to stay away from ice cream and milkshakes for a while. They make mucous and the last thing you'll feel like doing is coughing or clearing your throat.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-10-2008, 10:50 PM
I won't lie---it wasn't pretty.

Make it clear to your family beforehand that you're going to be completely useless for awhile. Don't expect anything of yourself. Rent a bunch of movies you've been wanting to watch; buy a few books you've been wanting to read.

Stock up ahead of time on popsicles, sherbet (I found pineapple to be the least irritating), jello, and juices. Carbonated drinks sting. Vanilla milkshakes feel wonderful.

If your doctor is willing to give you prescription pain meds, take them. Heck, ask for them. My pain was severe enough that I took Vicodin for two weeks afterward.

Sorry if I spooked you, but I wish someone had prepared ME!! Best of luck to you!

Not cheery, but accurate.
Three children--first one at five. A breeze.
Second two in early twenties. Holy mackerel.
Hardest thing is to make yourself drink and "eat" so you'll heal. Very necessary; very difficult. The good part is it won't last forever, I promise. And life afterwards should be much improved for you! :pixie:

mrsgaribaldi
06-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Everyone gave you good advice. I'm just going to send some speedy recovery :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:your way. I'll be thinking of you the day of the surgery.:pixie::pixie::hug: