PDA

View Full Version : Flag retreat Ceremony

tkbk
06-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I want to do something special for my husband on our upcoming WDW trip in October. He was active navy for 7 years and is an active Navy reservist. I know there is some way that you can be involved in the flag retreat ceremony and I want to have him be a part of it. He would absoloutly love it! He is extremely patriotic. How do I go about asking for him to be a part of it when we are there? I want to be able to arrange it and then surprise him at some point during the day that he gets to do it.

KineGirl
06-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Someone here will probably know better than myself but I think you just have to be the first person to request that day at Guest Relations at MK for your husband to participate. Im not sure its anything you can request any further in advance than that day :shrug:

Good luck!

wendy*darling
06-07-2008, 01:46 PM
That would be a wonderful experience for him!

Our Boy Scout Troop has done this flag retreat 2 times- once in June 2001, and again in June 2007.
They do a remarkable job each and every day.

You need to contact Magic Kingdom Security and let them know what you want to do. I would call them on Monday and see when they will be scheduling for your dates. They will put you in contact with the person who is handling the scheduling.
They use veterans often- so I am sure there won't be a problem having your DH be a part of the retreat one day on your vacation.

Make sure to have you camera (video if you have it) ready- it sure makes for some great photos! :thumbsup:

KineGirl
06-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Thank you Wendy! You saved the day again! I was just thinking about maybe I should do this for my Dad - where would someone find the MK Security phone #?

wendy*darling
06-07-2008, 05:44 PM
where would someone find the MK Security phone #?
I just called 1-407-W-DISNEY and asked to be connected.

KineGirl
06-07-2008, 06:21 PM
I just called 1-407-W-DISNEY and asked to be connected.

thank you Wendy Dahhhling :D

Marilyn Michetti
06-08-2008, 05:16 PM
When I was Veteran of the day in Dec., 2004, we just stopped by City Hall on Sun., our first day, and asked. They had an opening on Tues., and I was given one of the most stirring opportunities of my life.
It's first come, first serve, and you have to ask in person, (unless it's changed).
Go for it - it's really special !:flag:

Tinkermom07
06-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I called security today to schedule my vet for the ceremony, and was told that security no longer handles it. You have to physically go to City Hall in MK to schedule. I was all excited there for a minute thinking I could get one more thing done before we go, sigh.

wendy*darling
06-10-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. I was almost 1 year ago when my scouts did it last and 7 years ago for the first time. Same sign up procedure both times.

I wonder why they changed the rules?
(Maybe too many no shows? :confused:)

Best of luck getting him signed up. It truly is a very moving ceremony.

And even if you are not "participating" everyone should stop and take the time to watch this wonderful event that takes places EVERY DAY at 5pm in MK's Town Square. :flag:

tkbk
06-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Thank you for all the info. You guys here at intercot are just Awesome!!!!