PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Week Questions??

Jarrod
06-07-2008, 01:00 AM
We are arriving November 20th and are trying to see if a few of the things we really enjoyed the last time we were there during the holidays will be happening. I have looked at the events section but can't tell about a few things.

When does all the Epcot holidays around the world stuff start? . . Epcot tree lighting, Lights of Winter, and Holiday Illuminations.

I am assuming since we are attending the X-mas Party, we will get to see the Ice-lights on the castle?

Are they planning to have the Hollywood Hollydays Parade this year?

Will the gingerbread house in the GF be open and selling cookies?

Also, is there any chance the Osborne lights will be lit up any earlier than the day after Thankgiving? That seems so late.

Any help is appreciated!:confused:

Strmchsr
06-07-2008, 07:58 AM
The Osborne Lights and Epcot stuff start November 28.

There has been no announcement as to whether the ice lights on the castle will return, but I think it's a good bet since they seemed pretty popular last year.

If I remember correctly, the gingerbread house usually opens the weekend after Thanksgiving.

emerzmom
06-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I have been several times during Thanksgiving. It is my favorite time to visit WDW. The weather is usually perfect and the holiday decorations magically begin to appear as the week progresses.
Last Thanksgiving the Gingerbread house @ GF was up before Thanksgiving Day. We have also been there early enough to see the house being constructed. That was pretty cool! The Osborne Lights were also up the night before Thanksgiving last year. The Candlelight Progression at EPCOT doesn't usually start until early December but most of the holiday decorations are out the week of Thanksgiving.
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party started really early last year (mid November if I remember correctly). We went to the party the Friday night before Thanksgiving week. There was no party the week of Thanksgiving. The party was a great way to start off our WDW vacation.
Just thinking about it makes me want to call and make reservations to go too!
Enjoy your trip!
:mickey:

kadesha
06-07-2008, 10:41 AM
We will also be arriving November 20th and attending the Christmas Party at MK that evening. I've already asked on here about the Epcot stuff, and they've told me that it the Holidays Around the World, the storytellers at World Showcase and the Tree Lighting will not start until Nov. 28, although most of the decorations will already be up.

buzznwoodysmom
06-07-2008, 12:56 PM
We were there last year for Thanksgiving. We arrived the Thursday before and left the Saturday after. The gingerbread house was up when we arrived, one week before Thanksgiving. We attended MVMCP on our first night and the castle lighting was going on and the park was already decorated. We went to MGM early in our trip and the Osborne lights were already up and in full swing as well as the Holiday parade. AK also had thier holiday parade running. The only park that didn't begin the holiday stuff early was Epcot. Holidays around the world and the tree lighting didn't start until the day after Thanksgiving. And that made for a very, very packed Epcot. Probably more packed than I've ever seen Epcot. We were still able to do everything we wanted using fastpass and EMH. We also visited all of the deluxe resorts and all of them were already decorated eccept for AKL. You are going to have a great time. We found the crowds to be very manageable. There were lots of people, but lines didn't seem long at all. Actually the only day we thought was bad at all was the Friday after Thanksgiving at Epcot. The weather was perfect and the parks were all decorated beautifully. It was our best trip ever! Have a great trip!

Jarrod
06-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow, it soundslike it will be great, BUT we are a little disappointed that the EPCOT stuff and Osborne lights will not start until the huge crowds are there. I wonder why they start the Jingle Jungle Parade so early and the MVMCP, but not the EPCOT things. We were hoping to fly home on Friday or Saturday, but with the crowd levels, this will likely push us to have to fly on Sunday after Thanksgiving if we want to see Osborne Lights and EPCOT holiday Illuminations. Maybe something will end up starting early.

buzznwoodysmom
06-07-2008, 02:24 PM
You shouldn't have to stay longer to see the Osborne lights. Like I mentioned in my post, we visited MGM at the beginning of our trip and the Osborne lights were already going on. The only thing we had to wait until after Thanksgiving for was Epcot. Which for me, out of all the holiday happenings around WDW, Epcot was the least exciting.

Jarrod
06-07-2008, 04:18 PM
According to the posted schedule for this year, they are not going to start the Osborne lights this year until Friday the 28th.?? So, we were not sure if we could fit the lights and the EPCOT events in the same night. The only part of the EPCOT holiday stuff we are interested in is the tree lighting/lights of winter/holiday illuminations. We really enjoyed those the last time we were there during the holidays. Maybe they will light up the Osborne lights early.

buzznwoodysmom
06-07-2008, 08:10 PM
According to the posted schedule for this year, they are not going to start the Osborne lights this year until Friday the 28th.?? So, we were not sure if we could fit the lights and the EPCOT events in the same night. The only part of the EPCOT holiday stuff we are interested in is the tree lighting/lights of winter/holiday illuminations. We really enjoyed those the last time we were there during the holidays. Maybe they will light up the Osborne lights early.

Oh, I had no idea they changed the start date this year. That is a bummer. We are planning on returning for Thanksgiving in 2009 and I will also be disappointed if we can't do both. If I had to pick, I would see the Osborne lights at MGM before Illuminations at Epcot. You should be able to see the lighting of the tree at Epcot and then swing over to MGM for the Osborne lights. Illiminations is great, but there is only a small part at the end that is different than the regular Illuminations. At least that is all we noticed to be different. Good luck getting it all in.

jnfr2424
06-17-2008, 10:39 AM
:mickey:Ok I just booked a Thanksgiving vacation WD
W for Nov 26- Dec 3... My question to everyone who visited on Thanksgiving Day, where did you go for a Thanksgiving dinner - I also have tickets for Cirque on that night - any tips from anyone would be great!:mickey:

BigRedDad
06-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanksgiving Day dinner at this point may be pretty booked up. It is a busier time and people have been able to make ressies for some time. You may have to settle on what is available.