PDA

View Full Version : Why's it so hard to eat at the world?

iheartmickey
06-05-2008, 05:36 PM
So, I planned this trip for myself ahead of a conference next week ... kinda mommy getaway. And now my friend and her kids are going to join me. Long story.

So against my advice she got the disney dining. I told her we didn't have enough time to plan our meals to make full use of the dining plan.

I'm getting to my point ... promise. :blush: She said to me the other morning (in an angry rant) "why is it so hard to find a decent place to eat!" She said she felt sorry for the people that weren't aware of the need for ADR's and the people that want to wing it. I said "I told you so", in a nice way.

Then I've been thinking about it and she's right. If I want to have one nice meal while I'm on vacation, and I don't want to have to leave the property, but I get turned away because I didn't plan my trip, I can understand her frustration. Especially for her ... it's just her (DH passed away) and the kids and her DS 5 yo is on the autistic spectrum. She doesn't know when or where they'll want to eat. AND they can't wait for a table with DS ... he'll have a fit!

I'm glad she's force me to plan and call for ADR's so I know she and her kids will have a good time.

Why can't they leave some openings for walk ups. Or even for the last minute day guests.

Doesn't this annoy the locals ... they can't say "let's go to Le Cellier for dinner tonight". They'd have to plan it months in advance!

Just a thought. Sorry for the rant. :blush:

KAT1811
06-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I agree completely. I cannot imagine being a Disney first timer and finding out that I spent a ton of money on a vacation to this fabulous destination and I am limited to counter service and the less desirable table service eateries. I have begun to plan trips for friends and family (even a few of my DM's collegues) because they are so unfamiliar with the way Disney works. With my assistance in the planning process they get to eat in whichever restaurant they choose and they maximize their touring time. Only because I have enough Disney intel to do such a thing. I truly feel bad for those that go to WDW blind. WDW should provide a guide to WDW vacation planning that truly depicts the steps necessary to have a successful trip.

MickeyMomof2
06-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I found out last week that some of my husband's cousins are going next week. They told me they bought the dining plan. I said, "You have made reservations, right?" She brushed me off and said, "No. They have lots of restaurants. We'll just decide when we get there. We don't overplan." They are a party of 8, so I am guessing they are going to have HUGE problems using their table service credits.

r4kids
06-05-2008, 09:53 PM
The funny part is since Disney doesn't provide this, it makes sites like Intercot so successful and helpful. People sometimes tend not to make many plans when vacationing due to unexpected events or they aren't big planners. DSIL is going for free dining in Sept and I am not sure she has made any ressies. I planned both of our Disney vacations last year. I hope for the best. One thing I am always a little confused about is when people come to Disney it is not an inexpensive endevor so why not research it before hand. I am not counting those who live in the area or those on a spur of the moment vacation.

irish1967
06-05-2008, 10:50 PM
I am not trying to start a debate here - I do feel for your friend and her situation but I wanted to post another point of view.

To preface, I do believe that system in place rewards people who are willing to plan ahead and make the ADRs but I also think that people who don't aren't really left out in the cold either.

While one cannot walk up to a TS restuarant and be guaranteed a table when they want one, especially during a busy time (and with many school systems on summer bread, this is a busy time), they do offer a wide variety of counter service options for those who want to fly by the seat of their pants. Just take a look at the menus in Info Central - there are dozens of options available in the CS category.

It isn't like 15 years ago when we took our niece to WDW and our CS options were a hot dog or hamburger.

Or 20 years ago when eating at a sit-down restaurant in WDW or EPCOT meant being at the gate at opening and running to the restaurant to get a reservation for that day.

Sorry, but given the fact that the vast majority of ADRs are made by people who intend to keep them, Disney is doing right by their shareholders by going with the scenario that is more likely to occur (ADR) than a simple possibility (walk-up.)

Think about the mass exodus that leaves the parks when a thunderstorm hits - most people with ADRs in the park will ride it out rather than go back to the resort. The ones without will just leave and figure something out later.

As a (very minor) shareholder, I can tell you which option I prefer :cool:

I also think that most locals don't care that much. I have family that lives in the Orlando area and in the last 15 years they have come to WDW only when we were there or their children would visit for school trips.

I guess my point is that someone who chooses to plan a last minute trip shouldn't expect to have the same options as someone who has done the research and planned their trip out months in advance.

Especially since Disney does a great job of taking care of those who do decide to take the last minute trips.

KineGirl
06-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Doesn't this annoy the locals ... they can't say "let's go to Le Cellier for dinner tonight". They'd have to plan it months in advance!

I have family in Orlando and the last place they want to go is WDW to eat. There are alot of great restaurants in the greater Orlando area. Plus your whole party would have to have tix or be RPs. Believe it or not (most of) the locals dont love Disney the way we do.

Other than that I half agree with you. On one hand I miss the days when we go and decide that morning "you want to go to Chefs de France?" and we would call and make ressies. I think ppl should still be able to do this to an extent. We didnt plan on TS every night and we didnt have to plan our ADRs 180 days out. It was just something we did on a whim in those days. The restaurants were also much less crowded or at least hectic in those days.

On the other hand the value of the DDP to have TS everyday almost makes up for the headache of the pre pre pre planned ADRs. After having done the DDP for 3 years now Im undecided how I feel about it at this point - ADRs and all.

I used to LOVE the DDP - it affords me to eat many more TS than we would normally have eaten at, explore menus and therefore have more new experiences at Disney. But nowadays Im kinda TS'ed out. Its just so much food and time out of the day to sit down and eat. I feel like I eat twice as much on the DDP. Maybe this year with no appys I wont feel that way but last year I was stuffed the whole time and usually carrying my dessert "home". Im almost afraid to NOT do the DDP in the future though in case we do decide to eat at a TS we wont be able to get into one without a 180 day pre made ADR

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I found out last week that some of my husband's cousins are going next week. They told me they bought the dining plan. I said, "You have made reservations, right?" She brushed me off and said, "No. They have lots of restaurants. We'll just decide when we get there. We don't overplan." They are a party of 8, so I am guessing they are going to have HUGE problems using their table service credits.

I was told in the past that if there are more than 4 in your party you have to have an ADR. They will not add you to the waiting list.

Last year we took a trip in January. We couldn't make an ADRs because my sister was extremely sick and we didn't know how long she was going to be able to spend in the parks. We tried to eat in Epcot and were turned away because there were 5.

KAT1811
06-06-2008, 09:05 AM
On our next trip we have a TS planned for each day. DH did not want to do the DDP bacuase he did not want to be tied down to dining if he did not feel like it (with the DDP we feel the need to use the credits we paid for). On our next trip we are flying by the seat of our pants in a way; if we do not feel like dining at our TS choice for the day I will cancel the ADR and we will move on. Unfortunately because of the absolute need of ADRs we were forced to choose a TS meal for each day not knowing if we are going to feel up to it (or if the children will). We are not the kind of family who can survive 12 days on counter service restaurants, I guess that is just the diva in us. I remember on one trip, which we did only a couple of TS, I swore I would scream if I saw another burger or fry.

I do wish there was some give for those who would like to decide last minute. Plus as I said before not everyone knows that ADRs are a must and that planning dining 6 months in advance ensures you eat where you would like. I'll admit deciding where we want to eat 6 months in advance is a little ridiculous even for us Disney lovers.

jonahbear2006
06-06-2008, 09:09 AM
We found this out the hard way. We went last April, as our first Family trip. We waited until we had our last child and he could get something out of it. He was 7mths old and loved it. We got there and found out, in the park, that no one would seat us without reservations. It IS hard. I can imagine, being such a popular place and being able to accomodate everyone. It can turn first-timers off completely, and maybe not come back. Perhaps this is why so many counter services now offer such a variety. When I went to WDW at the tender age of 13, I remember the food being horrible, and no choices. I was a vegetarian and forced to eat a hamburger or starve. The food has definitely gotten better since then. You have to plan. Going again in Feb, I planned every aspect, and I will tell ya, visiting Disney and having a successful trip is a science that you learn over time. We are becoming pros at this already and know lots of little tricks.

FW 2007
FW 2008
BC Sept 2008

DisneyCouture
06-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I have family in Orlando and the last place they want to go is WDW to eat. There are alot of great restaurants in the greater Orlando area. Plus your whole party would have to have tix or be RPs. Believe it or not (most of) the locals dont love Disney the way we do.

That is very true. I have family there myself and they aren't really big fans of Disney.

avantgardeinker
06-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Try dining at non-peak dining times. We usually make ADR's, but if we don't one on a particular day we'll just do a late lunch early dinner around 3 in the afternoon and usually don't have a problem getting a table. If you say you don't want to be tied down and want to be more flexible, you have to be prepared to do just that... Be more flexible.

:mickey:

Momof2boys
06-06-2008, 10:32 AM
We are trying the DDP for the first time this October. In the past, we ate at our chosen TS places for lunch, as it was less expensive. However, now with owning DVC and not on an AP Room Only rate we decided to add the DDP and get some dinner ressies. We called at about the 160 mark and was able to get each restaurant we wanted. Times may have been a little off but nothing major. With our son being Type 1 diabetic, we try to keep him on schedule with his meals. Having ADRs really help with this.

I'm an avid planner and enjoy planning our meals - it's a family event. I tell my husband that sitting waiting for our table is a benefit of my control-obsessed behavior and overplanning as we could be those guests we see wandering into LeCellier for dinner on a Saturday and being turned away.

Lynn J Mc
06-06-2008, 10:33 AM
In defense of the Mouse - every time I call they ask can they help me make dining reservations. They have encouraged me to make them. There are some cities where you can't count on the right reservation if you don't make it a month ahead. I like ADRs, I'm not crazy about the 180 days out and I think they should go back to 90 days.

thrillme
06-06-2008, 02:50 PM
We're planning a trip in October and I totally DESPISE the whole ADR process. I've said it before...I have absolutely NO CLUE what I'm going to want to eat nor WHEN. I'm on "vacation" for heavens sake.

I agree wholeheartedly they ought to allow 1/2 the resturant to be taken up with ADRs more than 24 hours in advance the rest should be available to walkups.

The only thing I can predict is that I want to be at the Halloween party and I like being in the parks late as possible.

buzznwoodysmom
06-06-2008, 03:21 PM
To the OP, I understand that your friend has a child with special needs and it can be difficult for him to wait long times for seating for meals. However, I hope they understand that even with an ADR they will not be seated immediately. We've had ADRs at Ohana's where we waited close to an hour before being seated. There are many other places that we've had to wait up to and past 30 minutes even with our ADRs. I am sure you already know this, but maybe just make sure your friend understands that an ADR doesn't mean her little one won't have to wait at all. Especially being that you are going during a very busy time. I hope they have a great trip.

Hull-onian
06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
We went to the Rainforest Cafe over at Animal Kingdom. We had ressies. The restaurant itself was nearly empty. A young family came in behind us (they were not RFC members,nor did they have ressies) and RFC refused them seating.
That being said, I believe in making ressies and then cancelling them if you cannot make it to the restaurant you choose.

Also, I believe, we could have two Magic Kingdoms-side by side.:thumbsup:

iheartmickey
06-06-2008, 05:57 PM
To the OP, I understand that your friend has a child with special needs and it can be difficult for him to wait long times for seating for meals. However, I hope they understand that even with an ADR they will not be seated immediately. We've had ADRs at Ohana's where we waited close to an hour before being seated. There are many other places that we've had to wait up to and past 30 minutes even with our ADRs. I am sure you already know this, but maybe just make sure your friend understands that an ADR doesn't mean her little one won't have to wait at all. Especially being that you are going during a very busy time. I hope they have a great trip.

She knows. I've told her already. She just can't wait the hours and a hours it could take to get a table, with out an ADR.

I've already planned that I'm going to check in for our ADR and let her walk around with him until "it's time".

When my friend goes out to eat here she eats at weird times, just to miss the normal wait at all restaurants.

iheartmickey
06-06-2008, 06:02 PM
We found this out the hard way. We went last April, as our first Family trip. We waited until we had our last child and he could get something out of it. He was 7mths old and loved it. We got there and found out, in the park, that no one would seat us without reservations. It IS hard. I can imagine, being such a popular place and being able to accomodate everyone. It can turn first-timers off completely, and maybe not come back. Perhaps this is why so many counter services now offer such a variety. When I went to WDW at the tender age of 13, I remember the food being horrible, and no choices. I was a vegetarian and forced to eat a hamburger or starve. The food has definitely gotten better since then. You have to plan. Going again in Feb, I planned every aspect, and I will tell ya, visiting Disney and having a successful trip is a science that you learn over time. We are becoming pros at this already and know lots of little tricks.

FW 2007
FW 2008
BC Sept 2008

This is exactly what my friend was meaning.

It's a total turn off to people who don't know any better.

We've got our reservations ... yes we're eating at Wispering Canyon Cafe at 8:40 pm but I just want these poor kids to have a GREAT time. This could be their once in a lifetime trip. I wish we had more last minute options.

Don't get me wrong with the start of this thread. I love planning and knowing where I'm gonna eat. I just think Disney might want to save some of those tables for the unexpected guest ... or those honeymooners that didn't know any better. :D

The whole thing has my friend kinda put off by the whole thing. AND I understand her frustration.

dmosher
06-06-2008, 06:07 PM
I can honestly say that I have been in WDW virtually every time of year (not counting holidays of course) and as long as I am flexible with my eating schedule, I have always been able to get into any restaurant I wanted. Don't believe me? Try it, just go up to any host and say, "are there any spots available today?"

9 times out of 10, there are a few spots if you don't mind eating during parade times, or even eating late. Here's a great tip. Eat a big breakfast, then have a late lunch (say 1:00-2:30) or later if you can. Bring snacks if you get hungry in between (fruit or bars are great for this), drink plenty of water (yes this helps to keep you full and hydrated as well), then plan your dinners for late.

We find you can usually get in as the latest possible seating or around the time of fireworks or a parade/show.
Last time we were in Epcot we ate at Rose and Crown as one of the last people there. We heard the familiar fireworks music, stepped outside, watched them, then went back in and ate dessert.

Just a thought,
:pipes:
D

lawgirl
06-06-2008, 06:17 PM
We've never done the dining plan before. I usually try to call whenever we book our trip to at least a couple of places we know we want...usually JIKO and BOMA.

It was pretty frustrating at Epcot last time, because we didn't make any reservations. We're usually pretty cool with just doing counter service (love morocco!) but I wish we could have done "le cellier" spur of the moment...I didn't know 6 months ago that I would want to eat there.

But, next time I will make the usual reservations for BOMA and JIKO, and then hopefully get in somewhere cool in Epcot. I just wish it was like the old days, when you could walk right up and make decent reservations.

KAT1811
06-06-2008, 06:24 PM
As far as the eating at off hours goes, I suppose it would work for some families, most with older children or no chlidren at all, but I know as a mother with young children eating at off times really messes with their schedule. They can wait a bit but being young they need to eat when they are hungry and late, off times, are not really an option for them.

As far as DH and myself goes we would much rather eat late so the late times work great for us. Tonight we are planning a late dinner just the two of us and will most likely eat somewhere around 9:30/10:00pm.

I still think that the necessity of ADRs should be relayed to each guest at the time of booking. I know they tell you when you are able to begin making your ADRs but they (at least when I have spoken to them) do not relate the necessity (ie. "The most popular dining times at most restaurants often book up at the 180 day mark so please make your reservations at first chance. If you do not make ADRs prior to arrival you risk not being able to secure table service seating while at WDW. Upon arrival there may be limited seating avaliable at off peak dining times. This is especially important since the implementation of our DDP. If you have any questions please feel free to call Disney dining at (407) WDW-Dine."

RALPH
06-07-2008, 08:08 AM
"I guess my point is that someone who chooses to plan a last minute trip shouldn't expect to have the same options as someone who has done the research and planned their trip out months in advance. "

Sorry I forgot who said this, but this is the base argument. And it goes for most things is life. Eliminate planning a trip and substitute the concept of your choice. It is just the way things work.

I do think WDW should do a better job of informing first timers of the potential downside of not making ADR's and problems with party sizes. That is where Intercot and other sites like this shine.