PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Boston. Help!

The Flying Dutchman
06-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey all. As some of you know, I am a graduate student at Purdue University. I am set to graduate at the end of July/beginning of August and was just offered a position with a pharmaceutical company located in Cambridge, MA. The Mrs. and I have lived in MN and IN for the past 7 years and while looking at places out in the Boston Area, we have experienced definite sticker shock when seeing the cost of living.
So, I was hoping some of you fellow disney-lovin' folk would be willing to help us out. If you have any suggestions as to where to look for a place to live or any places to avoid, please post them! With the price of living inside of Boston so high, I believe that I am going to commute to work each day via the commuter train, so all outlying communities are fair game. Also, while we know we will have to rent at least to start out for the first couple of months, we are also looking to buy our first home (tired of throwing out rent money and gaining no equity in return!), so any advice for buying the in the Boston area would also be appreciated.
Anything you can tell me would be great! We are both basically newbies when it comes to that area of the country, so any hints/warnings are requested.
Thanks in advance :mickey:

Scar
06-05-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm not too familiar with Boston, but I have heard of one place to avoid:

Lynn, Lynn, the city of sin,
You never come out the way you went in. ;)

(Note to any residents of Lynn: Please accept my apology for the poor joke, I couldn't resist.)

crazypoohbear
06-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Welcome to taxachusetts!! It's expensive here and only getting worse!

First of all you should know that the commuter train has been in the news alot lately, for being so bad :( it is notoriously late or doesn't show up at all!

Secondly, if you want to afford a place you will need to look at least 30 minutes outside of Boston. Metrowest area is "cheap" by Boston standards. Thats' Framingham, Natick, Marlborough, Southboro, Westboro.
Weston, Wellesley, Newton, Lincoln, Sudbury are all expensive.
I am not sure about Waltham, Medford, Malden area. Maybe someone else can come in and help.
South of Boston I don't know about except I have heard that Quincy is expensive.
I do know that with forclosures there are plenty of houses available :(
good Luck and let us know what other info you need.

crazypoohbear
06-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm not too familiar with Boston, but I have heard of one place to avoid:

Lynn, Lynn, the city of sin,
You never come out the way you went in. ;)

(Note to any residents of Lynn: Please accept my apology for the poor joke, I couldn't resist.)

What JOKE!!! :blush:
Also, I don't think you are allowed to move to Dorchester unless you are Irish.
Medford is meffid
Dorchester is DOT
Somerville, is slummerville
Newton is newin

brewcrew26
06-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I lived in Allston (off Commonwealth on the B line) for two years during grad school. My apartment was robbed three times. Now, that isn't to say Allston was a bad neighborhood, per se. I just had a sketchy landlord.

Coming from the midwest, the price of living shocked me, as well. Plus, the fact that you almost always have to get a realtor to find an apartment - something you don't need to do in SE Wisconsin.

DH had a 2-bedroom apartment near Northeastern and the hospitals off Huntington Ave. on the E line just near Back of the Hill. Yea, I wouldn't live there. He saw a group of women beating up a pizza guy one night with baseball bats. Albeit, the apartment building was really nice with a pool and concierge, I didn't feel safe in the area at all and I had him drive me home at night (this was when we were first dating three years ago).

We have a lot of friends who live out that way still. Many love their places in Somerville (pretty close to Cambridge), Gloucester, Wakefield, and one of our friends lives in a western suburb...it's just escaping me right now. If you're not against it, you could always get roommates. While I was in grad school, a lot of married couples lived with another single in a two bedroom apartment in the city and it cut down immensely on the monthly rent sticker shock.

We're thinking of moving back that way, too, but are looking in Providence or NH since the commuter line (purple) goes fairly far.

I'd suggest looking at a lot of the college websites. They all have housing departments that can answer your questions about neighborhoods to live and what the make-ups of each one are. I found them to be really good resources.

Also, be prepared for Dunkin Donuts on every corner. I thought people were joking about it. But, you'll be shocked to see DDs across from DDs.

I've got a lot more about my 2 years there. I absolutely loved it despite some hiccups, so if you want to PM me for anything else about the Boston area (restaurants, nightlife, transportation), feel free.

Emme&TeddysMommy
06-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Welcome to good old Massachusetts! I am not from that part of the state but just wanted to say welcome. I also worked for a biotech/pharmaceutical company in MA before I left to be a full time mom. The people I have worked with have been great. I wish you all the luck with the new job!

c&d
06-06-2008, 09:44 AM
We live in Melrose, small town, 2 miles x 2 miles. We have 3 commuter rail stations that will get you into North Station in about 15 mins. We're also close to the Orange Line. Prices are in the mid 300-500 range. The housing is mainly Victorian, our house is 109 years old.

Wakefield the town just north of Melrose is also nice (and also on the commuter rail). Stoneham the town to the west of is also a nice town (not on any rail line.) Housing costs are similar to Melrose's

Reading is just north of Melrose, more expensive housing than Melrose. Also on the commuter rail.

Renting first is best as you get to know the area.

I don't know what part of Cambridge you're position is located. If you will be taking the commuter rail in from the North, there is a shuttle than runs from North Station to various places in the Kendall Square area. If chose to live west or south you'll most likely take the red line in.

Hope this helps a little. Please feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood.

MissStyles
06-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Congratulations....this must be an exciting yet crazy time for you. I lived in MA my whole life until I was 25....I've been gone for almost 3 years. I guess it depends what your price range really is and how far you are willing to commute. Like stated above there is the commuter rail (purple line) that goes into North Station in Boston (where the Boston Garden is) and you can either walk or take a T from there. It also depends where your work/school is. I used to commute from Lowell to school in Downtown Boston (commuter rail)...Lowell is much more affordable than living right near downtown. Other suburbs that are closer than Lowell that I can recommend are Watertown, Waltham (accessible to downtown by bus) and Somerville (accessible by bus or T - subway). I lived in Cambridge and Somerville in apartments before moving back to Lowell...it was more affordable and the apartment I lived in was much nicer.

It's going to be an exciting change for you...let us know if you have any other questions!

LauraF
06-06-2008, 11:10 AM
I live out in Metro West now (in the "boroughs")and I can tell you that the prices are starting to match the Boston ones as people are learning about the easy (relatively) commuting. It's getting *much* more crowded than when I moved in 7 years ago, but there are still deals to be had. The Framingham/Worcester belt has great deals but is more urban (and has some sketchy parts in either of those cities), but if you start looking around maybe Attleboro/Franklin or even Mansfield, it will be a little cheaper and more suburban (and give you proximity to artsy Providence). On the other side of the state there is Stoughton/Avon or Brockton/Easton where you can pick up the Red line with a short drive. If the ocean is important you're very close to the Cape at that point. It depends on your preferences for community and schools really.

One thing to think about - where will you being needing to get to in Cambridge? Most of that city is off the Red Line so you'll either want to take the train into South Station and pick up the Red or go into North St and walk. That may help you narrow it down. Go to the MBTA (Mass Bay Transit Authority) website for details on all the train lines.

Good luck with it all! I love living in Mass even with crazy taxes and urban sprawl. It's got so much to offer. The cost of living is expensive, but so are the salaries!

Hull-onian
06-06-2008, 07:04 PM
It would be good for you to get in touch with someone who works in real estate. They know everything. There is Century 21 or Coldwell Banker or Jack Conway. I don't know your exact situation, but since it is Cambridge (great restaurants by the way), I believe the North Shore would be your best bet. I used to commute from Hull by bus-boat-mbta-once in a while a car, believe me, it was one and a half hours to two hours for one way. In the wintertime, worse. Watertown isn't too bad an area. Saugus is nice. Melrose is okay. Peabody is a little further out and Salem and Beverly. Please PM me, I live local, I can get you phone numbers easily and locations.
" I know almost everything." Quoted from "20 Questions."

merlinmagic4
06-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I know very little about housing in Boston but wanted to welcome you to Massachusetts!!! If you have any questions about the Cape or Southeastern Mass., let me know!!

Hull-onian
06-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I know very little about housing in Boston but wanted to welcome you to Massachusetts!!! If you have any questions about the Cape or Southeastern Mass., let me know!!

Yes, we love the Cape too. We go to Chatham in July with our niece and her family. It is great. We eat at Larry's PX for breakfast. A good time is had by all.:D

brewcrew26
06-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Yes, we love the Cape too. We go to Chatham in July with our niece and her family. It is great. We eat at Larry's PX for breakfast. A good time is had by all.:D

I heart Chatham! It's so cute!! I spent the summer of '04 there covering two pitchers on the Chatham A's for a documentary. There's a really cute pizza place and an ice cream story that we went to all the time. Oh, takes me back!!

MamaStyles
06-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Congratulations....this must be an exciting yet crazy time for you. I lived in MA my whole life until I was 25....I've been gone for almost 3 years. I guess it depends what your price range really is and how far you are willing to commute. Like stated above there is the commuter rail (purple line) that goes into North Station in Boston (where the Boston Garden is) and you can either walk or take a T from there. It also depends where your work/school is. I used to commute from Lowell to school in Downtown Boston (commuter rail)...Lowell is much more affordable than living right near downtown. Other suburbs that are closer than Lowell that I can recommend are Watertown, Waltham (accessible to downtown by bus) and Somerville (accessible by bus or T - subway). I lived in Cambridge and Somerville in apartments before moving back to Lowell...it was more affordable and the apartment I lived in was much nicer.

It's going to be an exciting change for you...let us know if you have any other questions!

I agree with Miss Styles regarding the Lowell area (north of Boston) Having recently moved to Florida from Chelmsford MA ( I was tired of being COLD!) I know how the real estate market is.....I have a condo I have been holding onto, the value has continued to plummet to the price I paid 5 years ago! So you, as a buyer might be able to find something more affordable than you think. Unfortunately, or FORTUNATELY for you there are desperate sellers out there. I would definitely try to find a real estate agent to work with.
I do miss all the fun activities which are only a train ride away. (Quincy Mkt, the North End, walking along the waterfront, the Freedom Trail.)
I wish you well...and don't be scared off..Massachusetts has alot to offer, if you don't mind the COOOOOOOOOLD!!:snowball:

The Flying Dutchman
06-07-2008, 08:43 AM
First, let me say thank you for all the congrats. Its been a really exciting time for both the Mrs. and I and everything has been just moving so quickly (phone interview on 5/28, contacted again on 5/30 to set up arrangements to fly out to Boston, fly out on 6/1, interview on 6/2, job offer on 6/4, accepting on 6/6) that it all just hasn't really started to sink in yet. Believe me, when it does, the whole anxiety/excitement of it all will probably do me in!
Secondly, thank you all for the wonderful advice. We are taking each of your posts to heart and making a big board (mentally right now, physically later) of good places to live. You all have been fantastic with your advice, willingness to speak via PM, and just overall.
As for a specific response to one of you (MamaStyles) I am actually looking forward to the cold! I grew up in Minnesota and miss those winters terribly (I know, I'm weird :D)

Please keep those answers coming. They have been a huge help! And to those that have offered to answer specific questions via PM, thank you. I will most definitely be taking you up on that!

crazypoohbear
06-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Something I just thought of. You could always check out the areas you are looking at by reading their newspapers online.
I.e.
bostonhearld. com; metrowestdailynews.com
bostonglobe.com
or google the name of the town/city and search for their local news papers.
Also, Boston area doensn't get nearly as cold as minn. We also don't get that much snow.
if you go to boston.com there is lots of info on what is going on in boston as well.

ErinElectronaut
06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Hope your home search is going well!

I have lived in Massachusetts my whole life. It's a wonderful state :) I recently moved to Watertown, and I work in Cambridge. I drive to work, but the buses from Watertown, Waltham, and Newton are very convenient to different parts of Cambridge. Newton is a little pricier, but Watertown and Waltham are more affordable. I used to live north of the city and commuted by car.... traffic can be pure hell. Two years of commuting that way was long enough for me. Definitely consider being close to the commuter rail, T, or buses.

Goodluck!! :thumbsup: