PDA

View Full Version : BBB-To tip or not to tip??

DisneyMomx2
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
When we took our girls to the BBB in DTD last year, we did not tip the Godmothers because I had read that they were not allowed to accept gratuities. However, I just read somewhere that someone was told they do. This trip, our girls and our niece are booked at the BBB in the Castle. I will gladly tip if they are allowed to accept but I am not sure what the proper thing to do is. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Hayden's Dad
06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
When my DW had her hair done her Fairy Godmother in training accepted the tip we gave her. I say they deserve it. She did a wonderful job, and they were just tickled to death that it was my DW who was getting her hair done.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm pretty positive that they are a non-tipped role. Meaning...they make the regular hourly wages and any tips they get they are *supposed* to claim on their taxes. Most never do since they technically don't receive them

So with non-tipped roles, they are supposed to refuse a tip 3x before accepting to not offend the Guests. Again, most never do and accept the first time.

Disneyatic
06-05-2008, 11:30 AM
We tipped last September when DD got her hair and make-up done.
Honestly, beforehand it never occured to me to tip them, but I saw 2 other people tip their FGMIT while DD was getting her stuff done and then thought "Oops, why didn't I think of that?" and when DD was done I had her give the tip to her FGMIT.
She accepted it at the first offering and was very appreciative.

dfamasb
06-05-2008, 11:58 AM
If the fgit is deserving I say at least offer. Even if they don't accept they will appreciate the gesture!!

**I just realized that this is my 50th post! Woo Hoo!! :woohoo:

OhToodles!
06-05-2008, 12:54 PM
What about at the Main Street Barber Shop? Do people tip there as well? We're planning to get DS's first haircut on our October trip and the barber will probably need a tip after cutting a one year old's hair for the first time. Ijust hope it goes well! :mickey:

merlinmagic4
06-05-2008, 01:37 PM
We were there in April. I saw money changing hands so I directly asked our FGIT. She told me they are allowed to accept tips now.

DisneyWhirled
06-05-2008, 01:51 PM
We tipped last September when DD got her hair and make-up done.
Honestly, beforehand it never occured to me to tip them, but I saw 2 other people tip their FGMIT while DD was getting her stuff done and then thought "Oops, why didn't I think of that?" and when DD was done I had her give the tip to her FGMIT.
She accepted it at the first offering and was very appreciative.

The same thing happened to me. I didn't give it a thought UNTIL I saw a customer give another FG a tip, which she put away. I quickly sent DH to get change, and verify that tips were acceptable. They said that they were, so we tipped the FG who did her hair and then the one that did her make-up and nails. They were very appreciative. I must say I felt like a boob. My DH then gave me a hard time b/c he said, "you tip your hairdresser, don't you?"

Ian
06-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Definitely tip. These folks work very hard ... can you imagine being responsible for making the hopes and dreams of a hundred 6 year old girls a day come true??

We tipped our Fairy Godmothers in Training and we tipped them generously. They accepted and we were glad they did. They MORE than earned it!

Hayden's Dad
06-05-2008, 02:16 PM
What about at the Main Street Barber Shop? Do people tip there as well? We're planning to get DS's first haircut on our October trip and the barber will probably need a tip after cutting a one year old's hair for the first time. Ijust hope it goes well!

Hayden has had three of his gour haricuts here. They do a wonderful job and are used to handling small children. If it is his first haircut make sure you let them know they do something special for first haircuts. Yes tip them they deserve it.

Young@Heart
06-05-2008, 11:49 PM
What would be an acceptable tip for the crown package? I usually tip my hairdresser 20%-is that an appropriate amt? It would be about $10, I think.

PrincessEmmasMommy
06-06-2008, 05:57 AM
So, for the castle package 20% would be about $30 something. Each? I know it is worth it, but if castle package, do you tip the person who gives DD her costume in the dressing room too? Where do you draw the line? The actual service part is only the equivalent of the Coach package at about a $10 each tip. Please help!
Jen

Mousemates
06-06-2008, 08:01 AM
What about at the Main Street Barber Shop? Do people tip there as well? We're planning to get DS's first haircut on our October trip and the barber will probably need a tip after cutting a one year old's hair for the first time. Ijust hope it goes well! :mickey:

Yes and yes....but they are worth it....you might even let DH or an older DS get a cut there too...they do a good job and nothing like walking around the kingdom with an orange mickey and pixie dust (Mickey shaped glitter) in your hair.

DisneyWhirled
06-06-2008, 09:28 AM
So, for the castle package 20% would be about $30 something. Each? I know it is worth it, but if castle package, do you tip the person who gives DD her costume in the dressing room too? Where do you draw the line? The actual service part is only the equivalent of the Coach package at about a $10 each tip. Please help!
Jen

We did the middle package..I can't remember the name, but did not include the dress. The total was about $52. I tipped $12...$7 to the FG that did the most work (hair) and $5 to the make-up and nail FG (she spent the least time w/DD)

I think if you took the $30 and split it between the FG's that would be more than adequate. I think you should tip on the service part only, not the tangibles, so $10/each would be just fine...they will be happy, I'm sure!