PDA

View Full Version : What scents remind you of DW?

smartinez1
06-05-2008, 07:44 AM
I just thought about this as I was answering another post, but what scents remind you of DW? My boss gave me a hand soap and lotion set from Avon for Christmas. It's spice holiday berry or something, but it smells exactly like the scent of the Apple pie in Mickey's Philharmagic! No lie, evertime I was my hands and use that soap (I try to use it sparingly, cuz I want it to last :secret:) I am instantly transported back to the theater, and I can see the scened in my head of the apple pie and then it blowing up in Donald's face! How about the rest of you? There are just certain smells that remind me of Disney, sometimes I will be walking in a mall or somewhere, and I don't know if it's the airconditioning, but it reminds Disney!

RAIDER
06-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Well for me its the smell of a smoked chicken /poultry if i am out were cooked food is being sold in a mall or the street

As it always reminds me of those roast smoked turkey legs they sell in the Disney Parks :cloud9:

m1ckeymouse
06-05-2008, 09:06 AM
For me it's the smell of the freshly baked cookies at the local supermarket. Reminds me of Main Street Bakery everytime! :mickey:

And it's been sooo long since i've been i'm deep withdrawal mode! :ill:

Hopefully next year ....

buzz638
06-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Like m1ckeymouse, everytime i walk in a bakery, it reminds me of the Main street bakery:mickey:
Wich i can smell for very far away !!!:blush:

Buzz

DisneyMomx2
06-05-2008, 10:41 AM
For me it is Lever bath soap. LOL Not that it has anything to do with Disney itself but we seem to buy that everytime we go down to bring with us. So when I shower in the morning here, it reminds me of when I am showering for a day out down there. :)

DisneyOtaku
06-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Two smells remind me of Disney. One, fresh baked goods remind me of Main Street Bakery. The second is some shampoo my mother uses--it smells like the shampoo you can find in the hotel rooms!

ChipnDaleGal
06-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Mine is shampoo related at well. On one of our first trips I had brought along shampoo and conditioner that was coconut scented. So now I very much associate the smell of coconut with the happy feeling of a morning shower and a whole wonderful day of WDW ahead of me. :mickey:

Mousemates
06-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Mine is a candy shop in my old hometown of Gatlinburg, TN...there is a shop there called the Carmel Corn (spelling) that reminds me of the MK candy shop whenever I walk by and smell the smell.

Queen Stephanie
06-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Everytime I smell gingerbread, it reminds me of the beautiful oversized gingerbread house on display each Christmas at the Grand Floridian. It is amazing how big the bakers at GF make this house each year and how WONDERFUL it smells!:chef:

johnO
06-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Smells are directly associated with memory.

cardshopgirl
06-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Mine is ice cream. Everytime I smell it it reminds me of the Main Street Ice Cream Shop.
I love it! I also think of Epcot when I smell oranges like at the Land boat ride and Soarin

cinderellagrl
06-05-2008, 01:18 PM
this is silly, but I was thinking about this very topic the other day.

I live in an apartment building and the other day I returned home to find that the hallway carpets had been cleaned.... for some reason it smelled exactly like the hallways of the beach club..... ahhh I want to go back, for now I will just sit in the hallways and enjoy

Gator
06-05-2008, 01:29 PM
There are 2 things that trigger it for me.

1. The Elephant Bar, an exotic restaurant in my town, has a BBQ smell that always reminds me of Flame Trekk at AK. Even driving by triggeres my memory.

2. On a hot day when a door of an air conditioned building opens, it creates a certain scent. I don't know what it is, but I do remember telling my wife that it smells like WDW in the summer.

T-Belle
06-05-2008, 05:53 PM
I have 2...
Chlorine from pools always remind me of walking into the lobby of the Poly and

my peach scented body spray that I only wear when I'm at Disney.

Bluesky481
06-05-2008, 06:38 PM
There's lots of great smells that remind me of Disney...however, thanks to Figment, Disney now comes to mind when I smell a dead skunk :sick:

Oh well, as long as a smell reminds me of Disney, it can't be all bad...right???:confused:

I much prefer catching a whiff of citrus...takes me right back to the orange grove on soarin'

Tinksmom
06-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Okay. I think mine is going to sound weird compared to some of these. :crazy: It's the smell of a certain type of plastic, like that used for a child's coin purse or a bag of markers. There something about that smell that triggers my early visits to WDW when my souvenirs were often coin purses or pencil bags.:cloud9:
Now I will say sunny, 68 degree days with a light breeze instantly takes me to Disney World, too. :fan:That just feels like Disney weather to me. (We go in the winter, so that's our normal weather there.)

Bobby T
06-06-2008, 02:13 AM
Maybe it's because I live in Chicago, but the smell of a city bus takes me back to waiting to board a WDW bus at Pop Century to MK.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
06-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Okay. I think mine is going to sound weird compared to some of these. :crazy: It's the smell of a certain type of plastic, like that used for a child's coin purse or a bag of markers. There something about that smell that triggers my early visits to WDW when my souvenirs were often coin purses or pencil bags.:cloud9:
Now I will say sunny, 68 degree days with a light breeze instantly takes me to Disney World, too. :fan:That just feels like Disney weather to me. (We go in the winter, so that's our normal weather there.)

Not wierd at all...I totally know what you mean.
The other day I was putting together the kids "slip n slide." It had that exact same smell as the little pencil bags we used to get at Disney :silly:

cer
06-06-2008, 11:58 AM
The smell of the inside of my luggage reminds me of the world. The first year we ever went as a family (May '06) we bought new luggage to take on the trip and I can't shake the memory associated with it, nor do I want to.

SharkBait
06-06-2008, 12:42 PM
My mom only wears one type of perfume for Disney World. Every now and then she'll put it on while at home and I'll pick up on it right away!

bruin1344
06-06-2008, 01:10 PM
the scent of chlorine reminds me of the water rides

pittsburgh12
06-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Fresh smell of popcorn!!!! It reminds me as soon as you walk thru the underpass to get to Main Street, how theres that popcorn vendor right on the corner. So everytime I smell fresh popcorn (not movie popcorn). I think of Main Street USA in Magic Kingdom!!!

79- Contemporary
81- Contmporary
82-88 - Contemporary
94- Dixie Landings
05- Contemporary
08- Grand Floridian

DisneyLuver91
06-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Burt's Bees Ivy Dry soap smells like Rome burning in Spaceship Earth. I have a bad case of poison ivy so whenever I shower, I feel like I'm in Disney! :blush:

MuchLovedMama
06-06-2008, 05:15 PM
For me it's the scent of oranges. I remember when I was a kid riding Horizons & theres this area in it that smells like oranges. That was always my favorite ride because I loved that smell.

KylesMom
06-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Coppertone & Caramel Corn . . . :cloud9:

forbella
06-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Whew, I thought there was something a little weirder than usual about me when I was talking to my co-work (and fellow DW fan) and my wife about how certain smells remind me of DW! I'm sooooo glad to see that someone else share's this experience with me! For me it's been twice this week. The first time was extended:thumbsup:, I got to smell this Monday through Wednesday morning at a church that we were holding a conference for our district's principals- each morning our group of nerdy teachers arrived in the church lobby and the smell of morning mixed with clean AC and the church's selection of cleaning solutions took both my co-worker and I right back to the entrance of the Pop Century's lobby/cafeteria in the mornings! :mickey:Wow! The other time was at our fancy movie theater here in Memphis - the Malco Paradiso- smells just like DW due to snacks, and an Italian style water fountain in the center of the theater's lobby! Again, thanks for the great post that connected us all!:blush:

kathiep
06-06-2008, 08:19 PM
I have 2.

First, the new H2O lotion. Last trip, I was recovering from a bad case of poison ivy so the skin on my arm was very dry. I was using the lotion regularly. I took the one from our room last year and it's been in the bottom of my purse since then. I put some on the other morning while getting gas and it took me right back.

The other is hydrangea. On my first trip as a child, I got very sick with strep throat at the end of our trip. We were leaving the MK on the ferry one night (back then it was only the MK - guess that dates me!) and it was very hot. I was feverish and hydrangea was in full bloom and the scent was very heavy in the air. I ended up vomiting over the railing of as the ferry docked. To this day, I can't stomach the smell of hydrangea.

AdventurerKim
06-07-2008, 11:19 AM
The smell of apple pie reminds me of WDW in Philharmagic during "Be Our Guest". Also, if I smell the scent of Rome burning from SE, I suddenly imagine that I'm riding SE. :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
06-07-2008, 02:09 PM
For me its lotions and parfumes. Everytime we go to WDW I get a new lotion that I put on everynight and morning. Once we return from our trips that scented lotion will always remind me of the resort we stayed in for that particular trip. I also buy plugins for our room to keep it smelling nice. I get a different scent each time and that scent is tied to the particular resort forever. I use different ones in different rooms of our house. So for me my bedroom smells like our wilderness lodge room, the living room smells like our Coronado Springs room and so on.

This is not about WDW, but when I had each of our children I packed a new parfume and lotion set for my hosptial stay. To this day when every I smell or wear those two parfumes I think about the days my baby boys were born. Each scent is distinctly tied to my children. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I smell them.

Main Street Jim
06-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Oranges :) And they don't remind me of Soarin', but the l'oranges in another "forgotten" Epcot favorite, Horizons.

donnah77
07-22-2008, 11:34 AM
I had a WDW scent reminder just this morning. My daughter's sunscreen - and not that it smelled so sunscreeny (which we are perpetually coated in while at the World), but it smells sweet like the candy shop on Main Street USA! There is also a nice orangy air freshener that some local stores use that was used in the MK bathrooms. I didn't notice it on our last trip, so I don't think they use it there anymore.

darthmacho
07-22-2008, 11:52 AM
That last reply about the sunscreen hit it right on the button! I remember on my second trip feeling like, "Oh my God, something here smells so familiar, as though I'd never left. It took me a while to realize that it was the smell of the Water Babies sunscreen that was following me around. To this day, I can't help but sneak a sniff.

Other scents and what they trigger:

Humid (and hot) summer mornings = Leaving your hotel for the parks early in the morning.

Fireplaces or smokey grills = The Wilderess Lodge, especially Artist Point.

Balsam candles, soaps or potpourri = The Wilderness Lodge, especially the gift shop.

Damp basements and indoor pools = Splash Mountain and other water bourne rides. :mickey:

playdead88
07-22-2008, 06:11 PM
cold stone creamery! it smells just like the main street ice cream shop

EpcotFan182
07-22-2008, 06:15 PM
for me its coppertone, i would apply some everyday before heading to the parks.

PopDivaPaige
07-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Whenever I smell coconuts or oranges it reminds me of WDW. The oranges are from EPCOT's Soarin'. The coconuts just remind me of it. It is a beautiful, sweet smell that reminds me of it.
:wave::wave::wave:

Arnold Simba
07-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Pine Sol - It reminds me of Disney Bathrooms.

dixielandings
07-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Totally know what you're talking about, OP. Many smells (and sounds) remind of WDW.

Here are a few: hot pavement, waffle cones, vanilla coffee, diesel exhaust, Bath and Body Works eucalyptus-spearmint lotion, and that smell of water-ride water - I don't know where I've smelled that outside of WDW, but I have and, of course, I think of Disney every time!

disneygeek84
07-23-2008, 10:36 AM
I have some rather odd smells that always remind me of Disney World...

The first is Lavender. We always stayed at CBR when I was little and I don't know if that was just how the room smelled, or if the soap smelled like Lavender, but every time I smell it, it reminds me of CBR.
The second is the fumes of buses. Everytime I smell a bus it brings me back to waiting for a bus at my resort or in the parks.
Thirdly, and this is the strangest of all, cigarette smoke. When we went way back in the day everyone was allowed to smoke wherever the wanted (not like nowadays) so you would always have to walk threw it (which no one in my family smokes) so everytime I smell it now, it reminds of old school Disney.
And lastly...there's a smell on BTMRR that I'm really not sure what it is, but I'm sure people know what I'm talking about it. I don't remember where we were but I started to smell it and my mom looked at me and said, "Does it smell like Thunder Mountain in here to you? Or am I going crazy?" I told her No, that I was smelling it too and we talked about my first ride on BTMRR when I was 4 and my dad was filming the whole thing and wouldn't hold on to me.

Great memories. :mickey:

Jeniflower
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
we have a candle we keep in our kitchen, its all berrys and spices and things and always, always reminds me of the Christmas shop in Disney:mickey:

spiderkd
07-23-2008, 12:08 PM
There are three distinct smells that take me instantly back to WDW.

1-Sunscreens (especially some of the American brands that are a rarity in the UK)

2-Cinnamon, which is one of my favourite smells anyway but never fails to get me thinking about the Magic Kingdom... although I'm not really sure why. Is it used a lot?

3-This one is the oddest choice I guess, but Tic Tacs. The first time I ever tried them was in Orlando on a balmy summer evening. Every time I open a pack now I remember that evening so clearly (over 15 years ago) :blush:

#1disneyfan
07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Air conditioning reminds my DD of the buses in WDW. Everytime we start up the air in the car, it has a certain scent, and she says it reminds her of Disney.

KAJUNKING
07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
i try to take home as much of the soap and shampoo from the resort as i can and now and then ill use disney shampoo or soap and it always takes me back. the other night we were at our local theatre and i dont know what it was but it smelled like disney

Disneyexpert15
07-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Sunscreen and water at dw.:mickey:

SoaringEpcot
07-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I was on an elevator a few weeks ago and I said to my DW this smells like Disney. I am not sure if it was the greese that smelled like the rides or what. It was not a bad smell, but it did remind me of Disney.

amd780
07-23-2008, 02:58 PM
The smell of citrus always reminds me of Horizons. :number1:

Also, some treated water has that certain smell that Disney water attractions have. And burning wood always reminds me of Rome burning in SSE :mickey:

FiremanDisney
07-23-2008, 05:48 PM
When our dishwasher "vents" it has that "humid" watery smell that reminds me of POTC and Splash!

GhostHost999
07-23-2008, 11:01 PM
If I catch a whiff of freshly popped popcorn, it always reminds me of the first walk down mainsteet...heading towards the castle...good stuff. :mickey:

Coolwench
07-23-2008, 11:11 PM
I have a perfume called Vacation from Avon. I bought it for our first family vacation to Disney. Every time I wear it It reminds me of DIsney.

MickeysEars
07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
well, I just love the smell of the Norway shop. My husband bought me the Laila purfume and i thought that it would remind me every time i wore it, but it didn't. On our last trip, my husband bought Geir, the scent for men, from the Norway store, and WOW!! I never realized that the scent on the store was a combination of the two, when we are both wearing the scents, I can close my eyes and we are back in NORWAY.

bertasso59
07-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I have two;Dove soap because it smells like the Morning Mist they used to spray at the old Journey into Imagination(you would smell it as soon as you approached the pavillion) and of course-diesel fumes from waiting for the busses
:bus:

wdwvacationeer
07-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Both of our Disney Stores have closed recently-so I won't be able to smell it any more. However, the one that was in our Galleria Mall had carpeting that smelled like the rooms in the resorts. Every time I would go in there I would notice it; so, one day I decided to ask one of the workers. Oddly, she told me that I wasn't the only one that had commented on this and that several people had noticed. The kids thought I was nuts but I knew it smelled the same. Also, sometimes after it rains we notice that it smells like "Disney in the morning."

emmingo
07-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Maybe it's because I live in Chicago, but the smell of a city bus takes me back to waiting to board a WDW bus at Pop Century to MK.

Haha! I was thinking the exact same thing as I waited for the Chicago city bus this morning! Its almost the same...not quite, but sooooo close! :unsure:

wonderalice23
07-25-2008, 12:23 AM
I usually work until 11pm - in the summer, especially after thunderstorms, the warm air and wet pavement combined makes a smell that reminds me of evenings at WDW. I also am reminded of it every time I put on my sunblock....mainly because I use it the most at WDW!:thumbsup:

miprender
07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Both of our Disney Stores have closed recently-so I won't be able to smell it any more. However, the one that was in our Galleria Mall had carpeting that smelled like the rooms in the resorts. Every time I would go in there I would notice it; so, one day I decided to ask one of the workers. Oddly, she told me that I wasn't the only one that had commented on this and that several people had noticed. The kids thought I was nuts but I knew it smelled the same. Also, sometimes after it rains we notice that it smells like "Disney in the morning."

I totally agree, when I go to the Disney Store in RI I can close my eyes and feel like I am at Disney. Do they pipe in that smell somewhere?
Also I was there the other day and asked if they were closing this one and she said no this one is staying open:thumbsup: So when I get to missing mickey I always head over there.

Venus0880
07-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Ok, mine are a little peculiar:

1. The smell of the ice in the gigantic ice maker at my work smells like the poly lobby. I have been caught more than once sticking my head in it to enjoy the smell.

2. Sadly, the smell of ciggy smoke in a park or some other open air area. Smoking was rampant when i was a kid at DW.

3. The city buses always remind me of the DW buses. I never thought i would enjoy the smell of pollution.

Aurora
07-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Well I might be one of the only ones who likes a certain kind of mildew because of the slight scent on old water rides like IASW and Pirates.

Another weird one -- our pediatrician's office has a water fountain and lilve plants in the lobby, and during the summer when the air-conditioning is on, the smell is like walking into the Polynesian. :blush:

Cookie123
07-25-2008, 01:17 PM
For me, it's the scent of my sunscreen. I don't wear sunscreen on an everyday basis unless I am in a theme park. The particular sunscreen that reminds me of WDW is: "Sundown" which it seems is not made anymore. I have just a tiny bit left from a previous year, and I save it to sniff in the winter .... just to remind me of WDW !

newcarsmell
07-26-2008, 02:54 PM
The smell of the atrium at the Polynesian is unique - guess it's just all those plants. (btw, why is it that I expect to run into the Brady Bunch at this hotel?

kemps@wdw
07-26-2008, 11:49 PM
I have 2 also. Ditto on the bus smell.:bus: The diesel smell reminds me of waiting @ the bus stops. And the toasted nuts cart just outside The Land in Epcot. I love that smell soooo much that I make them @ home so my home smells that way too! :cloud9:

TheMartellFamily
07-27-2008, 02:23 PM
It is the orange citrus smell. When I spray this as a disinfectant spray at my medical office it brings me back to riding Horizons.

Minnie Imagineer
07-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I love that 'hotel smell'. I don't know what it is but most hotel lobby's have it!

OhToodles!
07-28-2008, 12:44 PM
well, I just love the smell of the Norway shop. My husband bought me the Laila purfume and i thought that it would remind me every time i wore it, but it didn't. On our last trip, my husband bought Geir, the scent for men, from the Norway store, and WOW!! I never realized that the scent on the store was a combination of the two, when we are both wearing the scents, I can close my eyes and we are back in NORWAY.

I have the Laila perfume as well and it reminds me of Norway every morning when I put it on. My DH will say it smells like Disney after I put it on. I need to get more on my next trip - I'm almost out!

ilovemyjj31
08-02-2008, 12:18 AM
That's too funny..ok mine is waffles..I got the recipe for mickey waffles, and i make them in my waffle iron, omg..they smell exactly the same!!!

PLus the shampoo i saved and break out every once in a while when i wanna take myself back..lol!!:cloud9:

LizLovesDiz
08-02-2008, 12:52 AM
The musty smell from POTC reminds me of an area on the casino floor where I work,when I am in that part I immediately start getting excited about my upcoming trip!!! :mickey:

Mickey91
08-03-2008, 09:15 PM
I have a citrus lotion that reminds me of Soarin'.

Also, a while back, A neighbor was burning stuff in the yard and it smelled like Rome burning on SSE.