PDA

View Full Version : Family at the Poly: Last Day Studios

thejens
06-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Saturday, May 31, 2008 Hollywood Studios and last night at Polynesian
This is the hottest, most humid day yet and we think we smell the forest fires. (It turned out to be the Universal fire I assume!!) This is my least favorite park, but I am eager to try Toy Story Mania. I run to fast pass TOT for my daredevils (not me this trip) and meet my troops dilly dallying at the restrooms near TSM. This is my first sign of flagging troops. I usher them into line and find that Ben is missing. I run out of the attraction, find him, and drag him in. We are going to have Fun! The ride is a blast. It seems inefficient to load and unload, but maybe it is because we had the handicapped access? In any case, it is worth it. Our whole group wants to ride it again and likes it more than Buzz. We fast pass it and head to an early lunch at the Sci Fi. We all pick at our food. It feels like we just ate. We share shakes and onion rings and dip and mostly order cheeseburgers. As always the food is okay at best. Even Ben doesn’t like his BLT soup or burger. The adults order sundaes and give them to the kids. It is a very fun environment, our waiter is a character and the kids love watching all the funny cartoons and trailers. Next to Star Tours and JedI training. Zac is scared by Star Tours. The story is too real for him. “I just like to watch Star Wars, not be in it,” he tells me tearfully afterward. Ben gets picked for JedI training. Zac does not want to fight Darth Vader and quickly hides behind my legs when Darth Vader comes out. He peeks his head around to watch. Ben really enjoys it. The girls head to Mermaid while we encourage Ben to resist the Dark Side of the Force. This area is TOO HOT. Ugh. I wish they would add some fans and misters or trees or something. All of us are wiped out by the end, dripping wet and thirsty. I fast pass Indiana Jones, buy a bunch of waters and meet the rest of the crowd to head to Playhouse Disney. This park is hard to please everyone. Ben rolls his eyes and my Mom doses off in her scooter. I would have too, but it is fun to watch Zac LOVE this. He claps and sings and dances. It is really perfect for the little ones. And it is air conditioned! I realize everyone is fading when I tell them there is time for Toy Story before Indian Jones. Lindsey starts to cry and ask for the pool. Ben is whining because I did not let him buy yet another laser toy at Star Tours (we have several at home.) Zac wants to go back “home to the Polynesian.” Frankly all the grown ups are pooped too. I don’t mention that Indiana Jones is outside and not air conditioned. Being very flexible and spontaneous and not at all an itinerary bound park commando (as some have suggested) I am open to heading back to the hotel. There is only one problem: we have Fantasmic/Brown Derby reservations with a 48 hour cancellation policy. I am not sure what the penalty is. I look at my wiped out family standing obediently (if grudgingly) in the fast pass line at Toy Story Mania and decide any cost would be worth it. Everyone loves Toy Story Mania again (as I knew they would.) Zac begs to go on again and cries when I pull him off the line. My Mom looks hot, tired, and I am thinking the humid slightly smoky air cannot be good for her lungs despite the oxygen. I basically explain all of this to the gentleman in the Brown Derby and ask what is the penalty. “I can cancel that for you,” he smiles kindly at me, "I'll just put down 'sick mother'." We trudge to the bus stop, but don’t have to wait quite as long this time. I hate to miss Fantasmic, but there is always next time. It is fun to give away fast passes again.

We all have a nice time back at the Polynesian. The kids play and watch cartoons (they all love Donald Duck especially), the adults lay down, I pack, and we eventually head down to the pool. We all relax and stay cool and enjoy eating when we are actually hungry. I love the pork sandwich at Captain Cooks. The children swim until the water pageant starts, then head back in to the pool until the Pirate and Princess fireworks begin. I am feeling sad that my Mom is going to be leaving us in the morning. My sister and our kids live near to each other, but we don’t know when we will be seeing our mother again or when we will be back to WDW. It was a wonderful trip and I am so glad we all have these memories.

Last Morning: Breakfast at Kona was great. Loved the Tonga Toast!!! (Thanks for the tip Intercottees.) Perfect for sweet lovers like me!
We cashed in all our snack credits on rice krispy treats and head home. :(

5 Mousekteers
06-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Sounds like you all had a great vacation. That was probally the forest fires, the Universal fire was in California. (Unless the wind was really blowing hard:blush:).
It's always nice to make someone else's day by giving away some Fast Passes:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
06-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Awww! I hate to have your trip end. I was really enjoying your reports!

Bethis26fan
06-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing. :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
06-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Last days are hard, and often very sad, but I am so glad that you were all able to have such a special trip together as one big family. I am sure your mom will treasure the memories that she made with all of you. Thanks for sharing it all with us. :mickey:

tinkerbell04
06-05-2008, 09:51 AM
You really had a great trip and I enjoyed reading all of your reports. Thanks for sharing your memories with us!

faline
06-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Somestimes a change in plans works out for the best for everyone!

You created some wonderful memories on this trip that you can all treasure in the years to come!

pdrlkr
06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all the great reports! :smickey:

dolphinmickey9170
06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks for sharing your fabulous trip with us!!:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks for sharing your report...

thejens
06-05-2008, 11:01 PM
OOOPS! :blush:
Is there a Universal in California???
Who knew?

thejens
06-05-2008, 11:02 PM
OOOPS! :blush:
Is there a Universal in California???
Who knew anything existed that far away from my beloved WDW?

KineGirl
06-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Phew! what a trip! So much magic and so much food! TY so much for sharing with us! It really sounded like another memorable Disney trip!

A Mouse Fan
06-06-2008, 02:55 PM
What a great trip! Sounds like you had a wonderful (if not exhausting) time! I swear one day I am just going to go to Disney just to relax at the great hotels and not go to the parks BUT that has happened...Yet :blush:
Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip!

princessgirls
06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the great trip report!

Julie:mickey:

MauiMouse
06-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your last day at the Studios. Very nice of the CM at Brown Derby too. :mickey: