PDA

View Full Version : Tygger7's Trip Report-May 9-22: Day 1 (Part 2)

Tygger7
06-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Cast:
Me (Obsessive Disney Planner)
DH (Ever increasing Disney-addict)
DD15 & Her best friend, also 15

Day 1 - Continued

Okay, I must add one thing. The weather in Ohio has been horrible this spring. We even had SNOW in late April. It's been cold, rainy, & downright depressing. What a contrast when we got to Pop Century! The weather was georgous: sunny and about 90 degrees! Of course, it may not have been that hot, but felt like it after coming from 50 degrees and rain.

So, at this point (around 1:00pm), we're all ready to go, and my husband is surprisingly alert considering he's running on 30 minutes of sleep. We walked around Pop Century, since we'd never stayed there before, and took pictures. I've heard so many people talk about the "unfinished" hotel across the lake and finally got to see it for myself. Wow. What a horrible waste. It looks so bad that I wonder if anything could be salvaged at this point. I really hope they do something with it...either finish it or tear it down.

We meander towards the bus stop and after a 15 minute wait, the bus comes for Downtown Disney. I still can't believe we're finally here!! We arrived at DTD about 2pm, and start shopping. :D Of course, the only thing on my mind at this point is getting to Beaches & Cream for my Kitchen Sink Sundae. But, first things first, and my DD15 has been waiting since our last trip to "Build her own" light saber at Once Upon A Toy. We finished up and headed to the bus stop to go to the Beach Club, and Beaches & Cream!

Once we get on the bus, the lack of sleep starts catching up to my poor DH. He kept falling over onto my shoulder asleep. We arrived at the Beach Club, and I realized I THOUGHT I knew where Beaches & Cream was, but really had no clue. After getting directions, we found it right away. I put our name in and they said it would be about 20 minutes. We walked around, sticking close, and took some pictures of the pool, and they called us about 10 minutes later.

I had heard that it was rather small, and wow...it was. But the atmosphere was fantastic, and reminded me of summer vacations with my parents at the beach. None of us had eaten since breakfast at 6:30am, so I went against my original plan of only eating ice cream and got a hamburger & fries. Yeah, my first Disney food of the trip! I'd heard lots of great things about these hamburgers and was not disappointed. Everything was delicious, especially the fries. :tasty: Now for the finale: Kitchen Sink Sundae!! I've been waiting two years for this little beauty. My DH is basically lactose intolerant, so he passes on sharing the sundae and lets me and the girls go at it. It was really nice that they gave you the little bowls to dip it out & share. The girls wimped out after 2 small bowls a piece, but I kept going. Okay, I even lost count. I feel I was able to successfully save most of the ice cream, but once it melts, it's a mess. But I couldn't stop eating it....it was SOOOO good. I decided we'd better leave though, as my DH was looking quite glassy-eyed at this point. I offered to just go back to the hotel and let him sleep, but since it was so late in the day already he wanted to stay up until bed time.

We wandered around taking pictures, and headed towards the Boardwalk. Again, another first for us. The atmosphere is great, and I'd love to come back in the evening sometime when more of the clubs are open.

It was getting on in the evening, so we decided to start making our way back to Pop. Poor DH was too exhausted to walk to DHS, so we took the little boat over. Of course, we get the boat that the air conditioning didn't work. The captain was so funny though, and explained that the only other boat available was out of service due to a "protein spill" :ack:, and she said that she opted to be hot instead of dealing with the smell.

We hopped off the boat at DHS, and then caught a bus back to Pop. All in all, a wonderful first day even without hitting the parks. Off to bed, and then on to the Wilderness Lodge in the morning!!

More to come!
(By the way, I have tons of pictures which I'll post....just as soon as I figure out how. :blush: )

ChipnDaleGal
06-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Even with the excitement of finally arriving, you guys have to be super tired. Sounds like you had fun exploring Pop and DTD. Congrats on making it through the Kitchen Sink. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. :mickey:

tinkerbell04
06-04-2008, 12:52 PM
WOW! I can't believe that you guys did all of that on no sleep! I am looking forward to hearing more about the trip.:mickey:

faline
06-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Your husband must have been awfully glad to finally crawl into bed that night! You still packed a lot of stuff into the day of your arrival!

Tygger7
06-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Here's the really funny part. By the time we got back to the hotel, my DH was wide awake again. He stayed up until 11pm getting the cameras & stuff ready for the next day. I'd only had about 2 hours of a nap while he was driving, but the girls slept most of the night. I crashed as soon as I hit the bed, but the girls outlasted both of us, talking to their boyfriends on the cell phones until 2am!

pdrlkr
06-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

dolphinmickey9170
06-05-2008, 03:52 PM
I do not like the "no sleep" feeling while in WDW. I do not like the drive any longer either since we have been flying. Hope you DH recovers from his driving all night. Thanks for sharing.:mickey: