PDA

View Full Version : Q re: picking your stateroom location?

Dsnygirl
06-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi! Another newbie question... :blush: ...

We've been given our choice of midship rooms available for our cruise next year, most are near the midship elevators. Two of them are almost directly adjacent to them... the other two are down the hall about 4 rooms from them.

I'm thinking I'd like to be down the hall, even though our travel agent at MJ said the rooms close to the elevators usually have extra sound-proofing. But I don't want to be too far down, b/c I want our room to be able to be easily found by our girls, should they need to.

So - what do you guys think? Should we go for the ones that are just down the hall from the elevators? And for some reason, being on the L side of the ship just "feels" right when I look at the layout... plus, it'll overlook CC when we're there from that side, I think. Am I right?

(PS - not sure if it's helpful to know, but we'll be on deck 6 in a verandah room....)

Any input is appreciated... thanks! :thanks:

DisneyDudet
06-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I hear from a lot of people that rooms by the elevators are not noisy at all. A lot of people rebook those rooms as well, just for their location. 4 rooms down from the elevators will not be a big deal. You just have to make sure you go down the correct side.

As far as being on the L (port) side, the ships tend to "back into" CC, so the port side isn't going to offer the best view. On the off occasion that they do pull into CC (has happened, but its rare), you will have a good view.

As far as finding the room, why not decorate your door with homemade magnets? A lot of people do it for fun, plus it makes your door stand out in the endless corridor of rooms. We will, and others will too!

Dsnygirl
06-04-2008, 12:05 AM
I hear from a lot of people that rooms by the elevators are not noisy at all. A lot of people rebook those rooms as well, just for their location. 4 rooms down from the elevators will not be a big deal. You just have to make sure you go down the correct side.

As far as being on the L (port) side, the ships tend to "back into" CC, so the port side isn't going to offer the best view. On the off occasion that they do pull into CC (has happened, but its rare), you will have a good view.

As far as finding the room, why not decorate your door with homemade magnets? A lot of people do it for fun, plus it makes your door stand out in the endless corridor of rooms. We will, and others will too!
Thanks!! Now see?? This is why I come here and ask all these questions... what would I do without you all?? :thumbsup: :thanks:

DisneyDudet
06-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks!! Now see?? This is why I come here and ask all these questions... what would I do without you all?? :thumbsup: :thanks:

I don't know! Probably not make the best decisions! I always try to run my options by someone who knows, which would usually be Ellen.

You're just lucky I, somewhat, knew the answer!

LW_DFREAK
06-04-2008, 02:20 PM
We just returned from a Disney Wonder cruise and our room was right outside of the elevators. At first I freaked! I am a noice freak. Our friends, whom we traveled with, had the exact same room next to ours last time they cruised and loved it, so the booked it again our on cruise. I just didn't realize how close to the elevator it really was. Let me just say, we loved it! You couldn't hear anything and it was EXTREMELEY convenient. :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
06-04-2008, 07:35 PM
My criteria for picking staterooms is that they be mid-ship near the elevator! ;) That said, we've stayed in 6064 (which had a little corridor from the elevator lobby area that led right to the stateroom) and 2548. Both locations were great and there was very little noise heard from the hallways. I think the fact that the beds are towards the outside of the ship and the closets/bathroom(s) are closest to the hall, helps keep the noise down. :secret:

As Morgan says, the ships tend to "back into" dock at CC, so try to get something on the right side of the ship (sorry, I don't know the correct naval term :blush:)... they're the cabins that are x5xx or x6xx.

Tink1
06-05-2008, 09:39 AM
My criteria is balcony size. I usually try to see what balconies look bigger than others on the ships.

DCL is pretty standard though, so on those ships I actually like to be near the aft eleveator lobby (6616) since those elevators do not tend to get used as much and I am right near the stairs to run up for soda.

On other lines, I like to sail the "back aft" -the cabins that go across the back of the ship. I love to watch the wake and those cabins usually have larger balconies.

But, as long as I am on the ship, I can deal with whatever cabin I am in!

nanc

JerseyDad
06-05-2008, 03:32 PM
.....we had a mid-ship room last Nov. on the Wonder (Rm. 7042)...and it was literally 12 steps to the elevators. I loved it!! It wasn't noisy at all...and the convenience...teamed with our room & verandah...made for a great on-board experience.

Dsnygirl
06-05-2008, 04:26 PM
:mickey: Again - thank you all for your posts!! I think I will "reverse" my thinking and go for a room on the right side of the ship... and not worry about it being near the elevators! Sounds perfect! :thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
06-07-2008, 08:30 PM
As Morgan says, the ships tend to "back into" dock at CC, so try to get something on the right side of the ship (sorry, I don't know the correct naval term :blush:)... they're the cabins that are x5xx or x6xx.

Starboard. :) :pirate::sail:

It helps when your dad was in the Coast Guard!

Blythe, I'm glad you've decided on a location!

We're still trying locations and stateroom types out. We're already budgeting a full verandah room for our cruise next year. We will try for Starboard side next year. I'm going to take a list of rooms I'd like when we book on board in TWO WEEKS!

And to help you figure out 'left' from 'right'... Port has 4 letters... as does Left... So there ya go! Easy way to remember!