PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about discounts?

KAT1811
06-02-2008, 05:16 PM
We are already booked and all our ADRs are made for a trip to the World in November but I began to think about the economy, the gas prices and began to wonder what type of affect it will have on Disney. I know that people will still go, we are evidence of that, but I was wondering if Disney will start throwing some great deals out there to stimulate travel. I know after certain events and when the economy was poor in the past they used these methods to attract travelers so I was just wondering what you thought now?

PetefromRI
06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Great question.With the value of the U.S. dollar compared to the Euro and Pound ,I don't think that Disney will have to do much out of the ordinary.We've noticed tons of foreigners over this past year at Disney and when I talk to our British friends at the resorts they tell us that the deals right now are amazing because the $ is so weak.The pound is almost 2-1 against the Dollar.If this weren't the case then maybe you'd see some great bargains.

Jasminegirlsmom
06-02-2008, 07:59 PM
You won't be seeing any significant discounts unless attendance goes way down, like what happened after 9-11. Based on the crowds I've seen the last few times I've been there I don't think it's likely any big discounts are coming. Free dining is probably the extent of it.

KineGirl
06-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I dont think things will change much. I also dont think WDW has ever been more affordable. In the past few years there have been more and more deals. It def wasnt that way when we first starting taking our trips 15 years ago.

DestinationWDW
06-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Disney may not offer heavy discounts but I think they will stick with the basics. I know i am looking for something in DEC to supprise the kids with, my only problem is that they know the way and will figure it out LOL. But you never know,

BronxTigger
06-02-2008, 09:58 PM
I doubt we will see large discounts. As a PP mentioned, foreign currencies are strong compared to the dollar, so attendance is not a problem. Additionally, the price of gas and food has gone up, which affects Disney a lot since they have so much transportation (FREE DME and on-site buses) and so many restaurants.

Gator
06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I doubt it will be anything special or out of the ordianry. The economy isn't bad. The only real issue is that fuel prices are up and gas and flights are up. But most people will still be willing to spend an extra $100 to get to WDW.

Rich Mc
06-04-2008, 10:13 AM
We have the free DDP for trip in Sept. and after calculating the way we eat, Table Service every night, its a great deal.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-06-2008, 10:18 PM
With the Euro still so strong, I don't see them doing nything special either.
But I disagree with Gator, the price of EVERYTHING is up. A gallon of milk is almost double what it was last year. And orange juice has gone sky high too. The price of gas drives the price of everything else up too. After all you have to truck the goods to their destination.

RALPH
06-07-2008, 07:51 AM
My boss lives in Celebration. He talks to a number of WDW management types who live there. They are saying things are still strong through August, but they are beginning to see a "softening" in Sept. Not sure what that means but my boss got the impression things were looking down. Funny, I think the free dining just took effect for that period. It would take a significant "softening" to spur further discounts.

A co worker of my wife is planning a Nov trip for six. Right now, airfares (fuel) might prevent that trip from happening. That is a much bigger problem for WDW.

dsnyfan001
06-07-2008, 08:05 AM
what i think stinks now is due to the price of gas going up and up, so is fuel for the planes and busses. Prices are only going to rocket due to fuel. I heard that Memorial Day alone was like so much percent less on travel. Most cities and companies in the state of Ohio just went to a four day workweek due to this. I have a suv and I most likely will have to trade it in!! But... no matter what goes up I am still going to Disney! I dont care maybe the parks will have less people there and it will be nice to not have to wait for more than an hour in a line LOL!!!

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-07-2008, 09:35 AM
I think it will all depend on how high gas prices hit. They are saying by the end of the year they expect it to be around $6. If that occurs...they could be forced to in order to get Americans to travel.

magicofdisney
06-07-2008, 02:52 PM
The American dollar might be weak, but the price of gas is strong. Think how much a plane ticket from Europe increases each time fuel prices increase. I would think that has to offset some foreign travel.

KAT1811
06-07-2008, 10:38 PM
A co worker of my wife is planning a Nov trip for six. Right now, airfares (fuel) might prevent that trip from happening. That is a much bigger problem for WDW.

The American dollar might be weak, but the price of gas is strong. Think how much a plane ticket from Europe increases each time fuel prices increase. I would think that has to offset some foreign travel.

These are the types of things I was thinking. Somewhere along the lines everyone is affected even the Europeans.

I still think that WDW has to be feeling a bit of a hit.

countrycharmer
06-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Just got off the phone with a friend who works at Coronado Springs.... as of today they are only at 40% occupancy. Last week he said they were only at 35% and this is most resorts. Sad because this has had them closing pools, bars, etc. early and sending staff home! Not exactly what I would want to happen if I were one of the 40% who WAS THERE!

DestinationWDW
06-08-2008, 05:44 PM
If the resorts are only at 40% full, what does that mean 4 park attendances is that down as well? Could this be from businesses cutting back on expenses? I am sure Disney is trying to forecast future quarters. Hey I bet everyone is canceled their trip because of the outragous stroller price increase LOL. No really what does Disney do at times like this. I will be there in Oct which 8 years ago was the best time to go because of attendance levels. Now it’s busy since they introduced the MNSSHP. So it would be nice not to have long waits for the attractions. But if they close attractions that would not be great either. I wonder what the outlook is for July 4, I was thinking about driving down for a 3 day trip? It mgiht be worth it if attendance is down, boy it sure will be hot thought.. July would be a first

Crow
06-09-2008, 06:53 PM
maybe someone who is a CM at the resorts could give us regular updates as to occupancy rates?

KAT1811
06-09-2008, 09:26 PM
This is excactly the type of thing I was talking about. Even though other currencies are still strong the flights are going up, making international (long flight=high price) travel less attractive.

Last year they did not offer any end of year specials other than annual passholder and Disney Visa. I was thinking that they may introduce some general public specials and maybe increase the other (AP, FL res, & DV) discounts.