PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Teachers

Disney Doll
06-02-2008, 03:03 PM
We're thinking about planning a grand gathering and we have at least one teacher in our group. Since I'm assuming he won't want to miss school I need some suggestions on when to go. Ideally I want something not too crowded and not too hot. So, when do you other teachers visit the World?

TheRustyScupper
06-02-2008, 03:19 PM
1) Bummer.
2) Unfortunately for teachers, they only have certain times off.
3) And, those holiday or vacation periods are crowded.
4) I recommend the week IMMEDIATELY after school is over for summer.
5) You get in before everyone else starts vacation.

merlinmagic4
06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
When it's crowded or hot :D School systems vary on what teachers can do. Some don't even allow a day before or after a vacation and some allow teachers to use their personal days as vacation time. My DH can take the one "comp" day they get on the day before/after vacation but all other time off for vacation is forbidden. Have you asked him what his contract says?

Young@Heart
06-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm a teacher, and we always go in the summer. :( I know lots of subs that go in Jan, before the schools have their winter breaks, and they get great weather.
We've learned to deal w/ the heat, though. We usually go right after school is out, but historically, the parks aren't any less crowded or hot than a few weeks after that (our last day this year is June 20th). So to avoid that feeling of my summer being over before it's even started, we opted for an Aug. trip this year. Originally, we were going to try the end of Aug, but I think that might be too close to back-to-school time for me.

DisneyDudet
06-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I think you should talk to your family member who is a teacher and see what they say. Depending on the district and state, they may be able to swing a trip. My mother is a teacher and we manage to during the off season a few times, other times we go right after school is out (when I was in school).

If we go in the off season, we usually do it over a weekend, and for about 5 days total. This way, we have two days for "free". Also, the temp is usually nicer, and crowds thinner, so we don't have to go for 9 days like we do after school is out.

We have taken a few longer trips during school times, missing a week or so, but my mother worked with the school and principal, and has never been denied.

That is why I say talk to the teacher in the group. You never know what can be done.

scootch713
06-03-2008, 08:03 AM
He may be willing to miss school. We are doing a disney cruise with 12 families next year and there are two teachers from different school systems. They are both taking their three personal days and then two days without pay.

LuvAllPrincesses
06-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Wow - I'm feeling fortunate now. I'm a teacher in Pennsylvania, our district's contract gives us 3 personal days per year to use however we please and they can accumulate year-to-year, but we can only use 5 in any given year. I save them to do Disney every 2 years, we leave on Friday after school and return Sunday afternoon, to make it a full 8 day trip plus 2 days travel time. I can also piggy-back it on a school vacation to get additional days, but then we deal with crowds, which makes it not worth the extra days. Talk to that teacher about the contract in their district/county!

Disney Doll
06-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback! If he could miss during the school year that would be ideal, but in case that's not a possibility I want to have a few different dates to play with. It would probably be only a week so I'm still hoping he could swing the time off.