PDA

View Full Version : First Trip to DW...looking for something special for my son

julieinok
06-02-2008, 10:24 AM
My family will be vacationing in DW for the first time in October 08. I have planned and planned...trying to make it the most fun possible. My daughter will be delighted at all of the awesome Princess encounters I have planned for her, but it is my son who I fear will be 'short changed'. Does anyone have an idea for something I can plan for my son (age 6)? Something that would be wonderful just for him and not involving princesses :) Thanks for your help!
Julie :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
06-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Pirate Cruise form Grand Floridian.

faline
06-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

Bibbidy Bobbity Botique offers the Cool Dude packages for little boys. There's also a Barbersop on Main Street that provides haircuts which are often a hit with little boys.

Cool Dude Package
Features: Hairstyle
Cost: $10

Allow 20 minutes for styling. For best results, arrive with clean hair.

Boy Styles

Various combinations of styles, colors, stencils and glitter available. Consult styles book at the Boutique

He might enjoy the Jedi Training at Disney Studios though there's no guarantee he'll be picked to participate.

d_m_n_n
06-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Totally agree! DS10 went twice and DS6 went on our last trip...they both loved every minute of it! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

KylesMom
06-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Welcome to Intercot!

I would agree with Rusty regarding one of the Pirate Cruises from the GF or YC/BC marina. We first sent DS out on the GF Pirate Cruise at age 6, and he had a blast. It is very age-appropriate and well chaperoned.

The only downfall is that this is something that you won't be able to share with your son - it is a kids-only event. However, it is well worth the $30 or so, and DS always had a blast. :mickey: They only run certain days during the week, and they do sell out, so if this is something that interests you I'd check into it soon. More information can be found here:
Children's Activities (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/specactivities.asp)

WidowsSon
06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I was in the same situation this past February. While Disney offers a ton of special events and expereinces for small girls, all of which we did when my daughter was younger, there is esentially nothing as complete offerred for boys. Not even a PIXAR breakfast.

So we ended up doing some smaller things that worked. Depending on height he may be able to "drive" the indy car while mom/dad rides as a passenger. He loved this followed by a pic both in front of the score board and in the car right outside.

The jedi show as also a hit, he didn't get picked but we went into the store right next to the show and they do pics with digal charaters from the movies and you face. it is a great keep shake. There is also a speeder in the area.

I really felt that he desered a character breakfast so if your so movaited like we were we went to Universal for the day and they do a spiderman breakfast, it was very cool he loved it.

Good luck in your planning

Mickey'sGirl
06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT!

Our guys have two favourite things.

1) Mickey's Not So Scary Hallowe'en Party. If you are there during the season -- buy the tickets and go. They loved loved loved it.

2) The last breakfast seating at 1900 Park Fare. The Mad Hatter was there, and because we were one of the last tables seated, the characters had lots of time to spend with us. DS9 and DS3 really enjoyed it -- and the food was very good too!

Have fun! :mickey:

MarkC
06-02-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm being serious here-- I think if you tell your son while sister is off doing princess things, the two of you get to go on whatever rides he wants to. It will be quality time and he will most likely enjoy that more than anything else. Just tell him it's you and him, and he gets to choose. That will be the highlight of his trip. Just my honest opinion. Mark

Kairi_7378
06-02-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm being serious here-- I think if you tell your son while sister is off doing princess things, the two of you get to go on whatever rides he wants to. It will be quality time and he will most likely enjoy that more than anything else. Just tell him it's you and him, and he gets to choose. That will be the highlight of his trip. Just my honest opinion. Mark

I think this is a great idea. Maybe you can let him help you pick an ADR that's "his" style, be it some non princess characters (Garden Grill, Chef Mickeys), fun atmosphere (O'hana or WCC), unusual atmosphere (Coral Reef for fish, Sci Fi for the movies), or new flavors (World Showcase.)

tys_mommy
06-02-2008, 01:38 PM
We did the Family Magic Tour (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/tourDetail?id=DisneysFamilyMagicTourTourPage) for my DS9 & DS2 when we went in April. They both had a lot of fun but it was a bit long for the 2 y/o - it took about 2 hours of wandering throughout the park. If your son is reserved or shy this won't be too much fun for him but if he doesn't mind acting silly he'll probably enjoy it.

tys_mommy
06-02-2008, 01:43 PM

You'd have to be creative about this but if you have 2 kids that split with 2 parents maybe try to time fast passes right with all the tickets in the party - the 2 that aren't doing a scheduled activity can have double the fun without waiting in long lines. Mom & Daughter go to BBB but before they do they grab 2 FP to what ever son’s favorite ride is for the dad & son while they do the same.

mook3y
06-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Totally agree. our DS thought this was the best!

Next favorite thing was Disney quest

julieinok
06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
We received our Not so Scary passes in the mail a bout a week ago! I think it looks like a lot of fun. We have booked Chef Mickey's for dinner, Akershus for breakfast, Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast, Whispering Canyon for dinner, Donald's Safari breakfast and 50's Prime Time cafe for lunch. Am I missing anything? Did we make good choices? I am wondering if we should swap the safari breakfast for the 1900 Park Fare, as you suggested. I did also book BBB for my daughter and my son just before we go to the NSS Halloween party.

Welcome to INTERCOT!

Our guys have two favourite things.

1) Mickey's Not So Scary Hallowe'en Party. If you are there during the season -- buy the tickets and go. They loved loved loved it.

2) The last breakfast seating at 1900 Park Fare. The Mad Hatter was there, and because we were one of the last tables seated, the characters had lots of time to spend with us. DS9 and DS3 really enjoyed it -- and the food was very good too!

Have fun! :mickey:

teambricker04
06-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Those sound like great dining choices! We also like the Garden Grill for a character meal because of the way it is set up, there is no one else in your pictures or trying to get up to the characters.

My sons are conisderably younger than yours (3 and 1yo), but in May we stayed at the BC and saw one of the pirate adventures and it looked like a TON of fun for both boys and girls.

Some of the princess stuff is overwhelming (especially when you don't have a princess) but I bet you will be surprised at how many things there are to do that override that! I think it is a great idea to go to the BBB before the halloween party!

Brainiak5
06-03-2008, 07:19 PM
There's always cane pole fishing if he's an outdoors fan too:mickey:.

Kairi_7378
06-04-2008, 08:15 AM
I think your dining choices look great... good mix there. Donald's Breakfast gets very high reviews from the character experts at Intercot (check out some of Hayden's Dad's trip reports) and I think it would be good to keep it.

c&d
06-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Definitely agree with the Pirates Cruise. Our son loved the Grand Adventures in Cooking at the Grand Floridian. It was during the holidays, so they decorated Gingerbread Men and then passed them out.

TexasPrincessAurora
06-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey::mickey:

One thing we are doing with DS on our trip this winter (he will be turning 5 on this trip) is letting him choose the character meals we do. I printed off a single sheet for each character meal that had pictures of all the characters that would be at that meal. I laid them all out on the floor and let him choose his top 5 sets of characters that he would like to dine with. That way he feels like he is involved in the planning and those meals are his special choices.

I don't know if your son enjoys video games, but Disney Quest might be something fun to think about doing as well. And maybe a look at the Lego shop at DTD as well.

PS I notice you're from Norman...I'm an OU alum!

Beast_fanatic
06-25-2008, 09:07 PM
You could take him to the Lego shop at Downtown Disney. Or, there's also a build your own light saber that he might enjoy.

DisneyLove
06-26-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure where you're staying, but going out with dad on the WaterMice at one of the marinas could be fun. I know my brother always enjoyed hanging out at the resort and playing shuffle board with my dad. We would rent surrey bikes and that was a lot of fun too. If you're staying at a DVC resort, I know they have activities for kids that are fun too.

Katie :mickey: