PDA

View Full Version : Wii-Fit and J9 being MIA

J9
06-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey guys!

I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately. I've been lurking a bit, but even that hasn't been as often as I'd like. First it was the end of my law school era that took all my time. (I'm proud to report that even though I started my first semester with like a 2.4, I was able to go up and up and up and graduate with a 3.0! I am quite proud of myself!) But now that graduation is over, I've been thrown unceremoniously into Bar/Bri classes to study for the Bar Exam. I'm taking two of them in July, so I haven't much time for anything else other than studying, practice questions, and the like. PA and NJ had better be good to me in July, because my plan is to take Florida in February (and maybe California the next July - just to cover my basis if I ever move to Disney areas). So that's just where I've been lately. Hopefully all will go well and I will be, ready and raring to go after July!

In other news, has anyone purchased the Wii-Fit yet? I have and I'm kinda in love. I am not an exercising person, but because it's a game, I keep trying to beat my high scores which in turn makes me exercise more. I've had it for about a week and according to the game, I've lost about 3 pounds!

The worst part is that it calculates your weight and BMI and tells you if you're underweight, average, overweight, or obese. My little Mii is obese which really upsets me because while I know I am chunkier than I should be, I do NOT think I'm obese. (Heck, I wear size 10 Michael Kors jeans!!!!) Of course, this just motivates me more to keep at it. I'm proud to report that In another 2 pounds, my little Mii will no longer be obese, but just overweight.

Seriously, if you guys and gals have a Wii, preorder this thing somewhere if you can (they're pretty much sold out everywhere). You and your kids can work out together, and it won't seem like anything more than a game. I highly recommend it.

My friend and I are blogging our progress with the game, so if you want the link let me know. I'm not sure if I can post the blog link, but I will totally PM it out!

I'll be checking in here at intercot periodically, probably as a Disney-fied study break! TTFN!!!

princessjojo
06-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Great things coming from you lately, huh? Congratulations on graduation. That is a big feat, I know. Just did it myself with 2 kids and a DH in tow. And the progress you made with regards to grades is really good. It seems like all A's gets you no where, but 1 C will tank you quick. Good luck with studying for boards as well. You can do it, with a little faith in yourself.

I saw that Wii Fit "game" last night and love, love, loved it. Only problem is we have PS2, PS3, & Xbox 360. I don't see a Wii anywhere in the foreseeable future in our house. But D-sis has one, so maybe when she gets tired of it, which should be anytime now in the life of a 16y/o girl, I can inherit it. I had no idea it could do all that. I'm afraid of what it would tell me. Being 5'2 on a really high-heel day, and a person who never misses a meal, it's not bound to be good I'm sure. Great job losing 3lbs playing a game. I'm impressed. And that it's fun makes it that much easier.

Anyways, keep up the good work, with studying and the workout. It'll all pay off sooner than you know.

SBETigg
06-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I love my Wii! I do fitness on Wii Sports and eighteen holes of golf every morning. I can't wait to get Wii Fit! Looks like so much fun.

Congratulations on law school graduation and best wishes on the Bar exam!

drummerboy
06-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Congratulations on the graduation and good luck on the bar exams. One was enough for me, thank you. I kind of tracked like you--started out somewhere in the middle and worked up to about top 15% through a lot of hard work and determination. Takes a while to figure out what's going on, doesn't it?

Hmmm. Maybe I should have sat for the FL bar exam now that I think of it. :mickey:

2Epcot
06-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Congratulations on graduation!

I just tried out the Wii-Fit last night at a friends house. We had been over there before and played the other games, but they just go the Wii-Fit about a week ago. My wife and I and friends had a great time playing the games. I believe I heard it is already being used in some exercise programs. I was impressed with how sensitive the balance board is to your exact body position. I told my wife I want won.

Melanie
06-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Congratulations on graduating and good luck on your upcoming bar exams! :thumbsup:

We are looking to get a Wii for the kids for Christmas, and if so, definitely getting Wii-Fit for myself. It looks cool! Thanks for the review.

ElenitaB
06-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Congrats on all your academic success! And good luck with the Bar!

We have a Wii Fit. I'm not able to use it yet but DS uses it EVERY day... with no prompting from mom. He loves it and for good reason. It's amazing. This afternoon he got on it and it actually asked if he had grown some. We measured him and sure enough! Just how did the system detect that?? I thought that little detail was pretty amazing.

Momof2boys
06-02-2008, 03:51 PM
What exactly does the Wii Fit do ? We have a Wii and anything to get me to exercise is great . . . but I can't figure out what it is ~

TiggeRia
06-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Congratulations on graduating and good luck on your exams!

I have the Wii Fit and am having a blast with it. I love doing my morning yoga and strength exercises. My whole family has been playing with it, and I'm hoping that trend continues. It's nice to get up off the couch and move around! :)

SAHDad
06-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Congrats on the graduation.

I think that you can have the Wii Fit ignore the BMI (or at least not change the Mii). BMI is only of limited utility anyway - during one of the Tour de France races, Lance Armstrong was (per his BMI) classified as "overweight".

J9
06-02-2008, 08:43 PM
What exactly does the Wii Fit do ? We have a Wii and anything to get me to exercise is great . . . but I can't figure out what it is ~

The Wii fit is basically a scale that measures left and right balance and your weight. The game itself consists of things like hula hooping and boxing and even Yoga poses to help you get active. It's pretty good for me so far (its told me all in all I lost a pound this week - although i apparently gained 1.5 since yesterday. I probably shouldn't have weighed myself right after dinner.)

But if I keep losing a pound a week, it's only 6 months before i lose what I want! :-D

PS - I did my week 1 blog update for those of you who have the link!

WDWFanatic
06-03-2008, 09:15 AM
:congrats: on your grades J9 and good luck on the bar exam. We've missed you.

I got the Wii fit for Mother's Day and LOVE IT! It is a lot of fun. I think my boys like it as much as I do and DH loves going in and killing our high scores, lol.

The only problem I see is that it shows my weight changing so much up 5 pounds one day, down two up three, etc. We have run in our room so I'm wondering if that's why. Has anyone else had that problem?

My favorite right now is the ski jump, but I can't hit the soccer balls or get across the tightrope to save my life, lol. I like the yoga also. I think it's helping my 12 yr olds posture to boot.

J9 :tink::pixie::cheer: for your bar. Let us know when you are taking the test and we'll send out an extra dose!

J9
06-03-2008, 01:11 PM
The only problem I see is that it shows my weight changing so much up 5 pounds one day, down two up three, etc. We have run in our room so I'm wondering if that's why. Has anyone else had that problem?

I haven't had a problem with that all week except yesterday. It told me I gained 2 pounds in one day (but I did go on literally 2 minutes after eating dinner.) My friend's had the same problem and we think its because of the rug. She tried putting the extenders on the board and that helped a little bit. I have a rug in the basement, but its a burbur rug (i think that's what its called) and has no cushioning, so I don't think its too much of an issue for me - although doing some of the lying down yoga stuff kills my back!

My favorite right now is the ski jump, but I can't hit the soccer balls or get across the tightrope to save my life, lol.

I LOVE the ski jump! I tried it for the first time last night. I tried the soccer too and that's ok - I just keep getting hit by panda heads disguised as soccer balls!

J9 :tink::pixie::cheer: for your bar. Let us know when you are taking the test and we'll send out an extra dose!

OMG that you so much for that! I'm taking a review class right now and I actually feel like my scores in Con Law have gone DOWN since starting! And I have no idea how they expect us to memorize all this law. I'm in full on panic mode after one week! LOL

2Epcot
06-03-2008, 07:29 PM
My favorite right now is the ski jump, but I can't hit the soccer balls or get across the tightrope to save my life, lol. I like the yoga also. I think it's helping my 12 yr olds posture to boot.

The ski jump was my favorite as well. Our friend's son was very good at hitting the soccer balls with his head. My wife made it across the tightrope once ... I didn't try. One of our friends who takes a regular yoga class said the Wii Fit was more precise then what they do in class.

PirateLover
06-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I really want this... I completely lost track of time and forgot to pre-order, and now my whole area is sold out :(

Lacy
06-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Congrats on graduation and good luck on the bar!

I am glad to hear a review of the wii fit. I'm pregnant now so I don't think I could/should use it so we are waiting until after the baby is born. DH is looking forward to it and I think it could help me lose the baby weight, if I have the energy. We are currently enjoying Mario Kart!

J9
06-03-2008, 10:43 PM
I really want this... I completely lost track of time and forgot to pre-order, and now my whole area is sold out :(

I don't know where in Philly you live, but have you tried the Target at Haldeman and the Blvd, or the Circuit City on Cottman Avenue? They both had some this past week just sitting there...

WDW crazy
06-04-2008, 01:05 AM
We got our Wii-Fit about a week and a half ago. It is really cool. It really is a workout if you do enough of the activities. It makes exercise fun because it is all games.
It is going to be hard to get just like the Wii system itself. But it is worth it if you can find it.