PDA

View Full Version : Ever been able to keep your trip a secret?

Ropachs
06-01-2008, 02:12 PM
So I'm wondering if I should try to keep our October trip a secret from our DS6. A friend of mine kept their trip a secret from their kids until the morning they left, I think that would be so exciting...to think you're getting up to a normal school day only to be told...nope, we're going to the airport buddy! On the other hand, if kept secret, he would lose looking forward to the trip for several weeks. (If we do tell him, it won't be until September sometime.) So what have you all done with your kids? When did you tell them? Anyone pulled off a big surprise?

kadesha
06-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm interested to see the responses here! I'm going to try to keep our November trip a secret, but I'm not so sure I can! When I am planning a trip, I tend to talk about it all the time!! lol! But I think it would be an amazing surprise for them to wake up from being in the car all night to be at Disneyworld!

faline
06-01-2008, 02:29 PM
A number of people have reported surprising their children with a trip to Disney World in a variety of ways. Some actually made it to Disney World before the kids realized where they were headed.

The best I've been able to do is to plan a surprise trip for my husband (along with tickets to the Daytona 500) as a Christmas gift.

buzznwoodysmom
06-01-2008, 03:07 PM
We surprised our boys once when they were very little. We went to WDW for a quick birthday trip when they were turning 2 and 4. It was our first time staying on site and we booked All star Movies. They were huge Buzz and Woody fans at the time and we ended up getting to stay in the Woody building. They didn't have a clue until we arrived. Even at that point the 2 year old really didn't have a clue, but they were excited none the less. We had a surprise party in our room complete, with balloons, banner, buzz and woody gift baskets and even a cake. They may not remember much from that trip, but thier dad and I won't ever forget it.

We are leaving in a little over a week for a vacation at Disney's Vero Beach resort. The boys, now 6 and 8, are super excited to be staying in a disney resort at the beach. What they don't know is that on our way home we are stopping by WDW for a two night stay. We won't tell them until they figure it out. Or we may be super cheesy and tell them something like "Hey boys, dad took a wrong turn and look where we ended up" as we drive through the gates. Either way they are going to flip when they realize where we are going. They have been talking about WDW a lot latley. According to them it is time for a trip to WDW, they miss it dearly (we were just there in Nov.). I just hope I don't slip up before we get there!

forgettomorrow
06-01-2008, 06:41 PM
When I was a freshman in high school my parents kept our disney trip a secret. We actually were supposed to go on vacation to Washington DC for two weeks (or at least that's what they told me). We left for vacation, spent a week in DC, and then my parents gave me our tickets for 4 night at WDW and a 3 night cruise on the Disney Magic. We were on a plane from Dulles that night!

They really pulled it off well, I didn't see it coming at all!

It's a really great idea for your kids, to have a big surprise at least once in their young lives. They will remember it forever. :cloud9:

Young@Heart
06-01-2008, 07:06 PM
I would love to do this, but I could never pull it off. :blush: Once I book our trip, I become waaaay more Disney obsessed than usual.

tinksmom02
06-01-2008, 09:26 PM
I only have a little over 100 days to go...we're keeping it a secret from DD5. We're traveling with friends, and we've decided not to tell them until the night before we leave.

Yes, they lose out on the planning excitement, but they're 5 LOL Plus, we were there 2x last year, and Jenna knew about both of those trips. I love to surprise her!!

It IS tough, though...my friend and I are getting pretty good at speaking in code, but the cat almost came out of the bag yesterday at her son's bday party...his aunt gave him a suitcase and started to tell him he could use it on the plane to Disney LOL We just about lost it...fortunately he wasn't really paying her any attention :blush:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-01-2008, 10:29 PM
My sis kept it a secret from her 2 kids in 2006. Right up until we got to the airport, they thought it was her and me going and that they were going to Hampton Beach for a few days. The older one was a little disappointed that he wasn't getting to have his friends come up to the beach to hang out. But he got over it quick enough!

princessjojo
06-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm working on it, but it's tough. We're leaving next week for our big family trip, but I got the ok from DH to take our younger DS Colbey back in Aug for his birthday. He has no real idea. The best I'm going to be able to do though is keeping it quiet until we get to the airport. Then I'm going to have to start answering questions. Maybe I can tell him we're going somewhere else instead.

I guess I'll have to work on that part a little more, huh.

Dopey's Girl
06-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I have been keeping my October trip a secret from my Best Friend's 6 year old for the last year. I live with the 2 of them, and she (the 6 year old) is just DYING to go, but since mom is a single parent, with little help from dad, trips weren't really a priority for her. So last year after raise time at work, I decided that it was time to get them both there. I have been planning (4 nights/5 days at BC, MNSSHP on Oct 16, AM ADR at Crystal Palace, Dinner at 1900 Park, Le Cellier and Cape May) and planning with her mom, but we haven't told her yet.

We decided that it would be fun to have her in on the planning (She's a character nut, and I just think she will love having some say in the trip!) so I'm telling her tomorrow. It's her 7th birthday, so I have 7 gifts for her The first is a Snow White outfit for one of her Build A Bear Buddies. #2 is a High School Musical Shirt and some Princess goodies. #3 is some new Princess sunglasses and some sunscreen. #4 is a HSM towel and an Ariel bathing suit. #5 is a new suitcase. #6 is an autograph book and a calendar I made counting down the days. The best is #7, it's a T-shirt I designed with the HSM kids that says "Horray! H is coming to Walt Disney World!" and a First Visit Button I got for her on my last trip.

I can't wait to see the look on her face when she figures it out!!!:mickey:

TammiMcMan
06-02-2008, 12:44 AM
We were able to get both my teenage son and younger daughter onto an Orlando plane with them still thinking we were going to Philadelphia. If my daughter hadn't been listening so attentively when the flight attendant gave the destination and estimated flight time, I think we could have pulled it off completely. The look on her face was priceless as she yanked the headphones out of her brothers ears and started yelling at him that we had boarded the wrong plane.

I love surprises!!!!

mouseketeer mom
06-02-2008, 09:09 AM
I have had good intentions of pulling off a surprise, namely last year when I planned the Christmas morning call from Mickey. However, my own excitement couldn't be contained in the weeks leading up, and there was no surprise to be had! I just love to include everyone in the planning, love all 5 of us yakking at once about what we want to do..well, I guess the surprise factor isn't in the cards for us, but I think it sounds terrific if you can pull it off!

Mickey'sGirl
06-02-2008, 09:21 AM
We surprised our kids at Christmas 2006.

I took our oldest son to work with me in the morning, so that DH and our youngest son (who was 2 at the time) could get the dogs to the spa, and get the car packed up etc. DH and our youngest picked us up, and we told them we were going to go to Niagara Falls for dinner. About 1/2 hour away from the border, we told them that we weren't going to go to Niagara Falls after all, but we were going to drive down to Florida to visit DH's parents, because I forgot to send their Christmas presents. Our oldest got upset because we changed the plan "But I thought we were going to Niagara Falls!!" :mad: . Anyhoo.... we got down to the in-laws and spent a couple of days --- then we told the kids we had to get back home so I could get back to work. We loaded up the car and headed over to Disney. DS2 started noticing the Hydro towers and signs that were Mickey shaped and kept saying "Mickey Mouse! Mickey Mouse!" But our oldest was engrossed in a book and didn't even look up --- until as we were driving through the gate "Harry -- look at this!" He looked up and said "We're at Disney! Why?" So I told him we though we would spend a few days if it was all right..... and he and the little one proceeded to do High 5's and Oh Yeahs!.

We pulled it off -- and that one moment was terrific -- but Harry asked us not to do it again. He told us how much he enjoyed looking forward to a trip.

I say -- if you want to do it -- go for it. It was great fun being able to surprise them.

disneyfamily05
06-02-2008, 01:40 PM
I managed to pull it off last summer. It originally was a surprise for DS then 6, DD then 4, and my mom. I ended up telling my mom about 5 months before we left - just to make sure that she would be at our house (she lives in another state - and then visits our house for a month or two at a time) and she would pack the right clothes.

I told DS and DD that we were going to take grandma on a special trip the night before so I would pick DS up from school early (it was his last day of K). We did - and we took off in the rental car to the airport (I had packed all the bags and put them in the car while they were sleeping the night before). And DS & DD sat in the back discussing where they thought our special trip was -- DS was sure we were going to the Cleveland zoo and DD even said "remember when we were in Disney and stayed at the hotel in the zoo (she meant AKL she was 2 then)". My mom looked like she was going to die from laughter. The whole time DS is looking out the window going "Yes, this definitley looks like the way we take to the Cleveland zoo" as we are driving through the mountains to get to Pittsburgh airport (just as a note - there are no mountains on the way to the Cleveland zoo).

We get to the airport, jump out, get in line -- DS is silent at this point. We check in our bags and give them to the Homeland security people to take and the the security guy sees our magical express tags and says "You are going to visit the mouse" Again - DS and DD just look and silent. I start laughing telling him they don't know yet (he started to look panicked)- but told him he could tell them. He really got into it and said "do you know what this is?" pointing to the mickey head on the tags - and DS said "Mickey" - and the security guy says "Do you know where he lives?" the kids say "Disney" - "That's where you are going". And my mom, the security guy, and I just wait for the claps, hoorays, etc....... and ... nothing. DS and DD looked at him like he had two heads. And said "Oh - ok" and they turned around and walked away. :confused: On the little train/tram that takes you to the terminals DS just kept looking at me out of the corner of his eye. Once we sat down infront of our gate. He finally said "Are we really going to Disney??" I said "yes". That's when the hoorays, and yelling began. I always felt kinda bad that the security guy didn't get to see it. :blush:

Jasper
06-02-2008, 01:53 PM
It really depends on your family and especially your son. We have such a big difference in age for our kids (11 years from oldest to youngest) that it never really worked for us. However if I read your post correctly you only have the one child who is only 6 so I would think it should be capable of being pulled off if you wanted to.

Good luck!

LandFan
06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Nope. Not a chance - I can't even keep it a secret for 5 minutes:D

FaithTrustPixieDust
06-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Ditto that, Land Fan. It's a great idea, but that would never work for me!!!

Besides, my kids (5 and 7) are constantly asking when our next trip will be! They have been several times, and now I get them involved on what they want to do, where they want to eat, etc.

Momof2boys
06-02-2008, 03:35 PM
We surprised our 2 boys (now 10 & 7) with 2 trips before - it does make for a lot of questions on the plane ride : where are we going to eat, where are we staying, can we swim, can I ride ____, etc.

We gave them a poem once we picked them up from school and before heading off to the airport, and the other time they didn't know until we were at the gate & the flight attendant announced the flight to Orlando.

It's fun :) But now they love to be involved so they are guaranteed to eat at their favorites.

DisneyDog
06-02-2008, 03:45 PM
We just did it last month! We kept the secrets for months from my DS5 (he'll be 6 in September). My mom lives in Florida, so we just told him we were going to visit her. He knows nothing of geography and didn't know that Disney is in Orlando area, so we were able to keep it from him until we arrived at the airport and met up with my folks. It was midnight when we landed, so all of the stores were closed and saw virtually nothing of Mickey in the airport. My folks greeting him at the bottom of the escalator with a huge sign surprising him that he's going to Disney World! It was amazing.

I later asked him if he would have like to have been told earlier, or if it was better to be surprised. He said he was happy to be surprised. It's a month later and he is still talking about it. He says he wants to move to Disney World and go there for 10 days in a row.:mickey:

teambricker04
06-02-2008, 04:36 PM
My sons are too little to remember exactly when I said we are going (the 3yo asks everyday to go to MK and the baby, well, he doesn't care either way). I could pull it off now, but not for long!

I HAVE kept it a secret from my inlaws. They live in FL and expect a trip across the state if we go to WDW. We had always invited them, but they were always too busy to make it to us, so they would make us feel bad about not seeing them. So the last couple of times we didn't say anything at all. TERRIBLE, I know...

joonyer
06-02-2008, 05:39 PM
One year we told the kids we were going camping in Florida. We picked them up after school, with the car already loaded and drove down to Orlando. Our youngest, age 9, (more curious than his big brother) was wondering why we didn't have the normal camping gear packed, (Coleman stove, tent etc.) so we told him we were renting a tent and stove when we got there. He wasn't sure about this but still had no idea we were headed to WDW. As we got closer, he began to recognize landmarks and road signs, and started telling us "Hey, we are close to Disney world". His older brother (12) had fallen asleep and had no clue until we got so close the ruse was up and his brother woke him up screaming "We're going to Disney World!, We're going to Disney World!" It was great, watching his brother wake up disoriented only to find out that were were pulling into Wilderness Lodge!
But after that one, they are too alert now for us to get away with that again.

scootch713
06-02-2008, 06:14 PM
My friend pulled off the big surprise.... he even had his school uniform on thinking he was dropping dad off at the airport.. then going to school. In hindsight though, she said she/he/they all missed the anticipation part.. the trip went so quickly and it was over. So she said she would never do it again.

For us, the anticipation is so much fun. We pick our meals at the 180 mark, we do a chain of days when it gets to like 50 and count down, ect.....

Tink&Goofy
06-02-2008, 08:51 PM
We pulled it off big time, in August 06. DDs were 4, 11, and 14. We had told them we were going to Boston for an "educational" trip, and we made plans together, searched online together, picked hotels, restaurants, activities, etc. I'm not quite sure how we were able to keep it quiet for 5 months!

We got to the airport, and the first leg of out trip was to Dallas, where we were to change planes. Coincidently, our plane was continuing on to Boston! We didn't tell them until we were ready to board the plane in Dallas for the final leg. The older 2 were REALLY HYPER! (If you were on that flight, I apologize..:trio:) It was great. DD14 always thinks she has us figured out. I can tell you, that is the first time I have ever seen her speechless :jaw:

Patty
06-02-2008, 09:08 PM
I managed to keep it a secret for 10 months a few years back. My kid's then 5 and 8 knew we were going to FL, but my family lives in FL so that was no suprise to them. I wanted to wait until we pulled into Disney and they saw all the signs, but I had a little problem at the end. The morning we were leaving, my DD woke up with a fever, and felt so sick she was asking if we could go another time, when I told her that we had to go now, and that it would be o.k., she started crying saying she was to sick to fly and that Nana would understand. My heart was so broke that I had to break down and tell her where we were really going! I still wish I could of waited until we got to the park, but she was so upset I had to try and make her happier. By the way, first day at the park, she was still a little feverish, and my mom was sick to. When you look at the pictures, everyone thought that it had to of been our last day, they both looked so worn out, the truth was that we were still waiting for the monorail, and hadn't even entered a single park yet! She felt better by that afternoon, and the rest of the trip was great!
Keeping it a secret for as long as we did was really a lot of fun. A few times it almost slipped out, if the end had turned out better, I think it would of been great just to see there faces when they figured it out.

GOOD LUCK :secret:

crazypoohbear
06-02-2008, 09:44 PM
My sis kept it a secret from her 2 kids in 2006. Right up until we got to the airport, they thought it was her and me going and that they were going to Hampton Beach for a few days. The older one was a little disappointed that he wasn't getting to have his friends come up to the beach to hang out. But he got over it quick enough!

AND last year I invited one of their friends and we kept that a secret from them until we got to the airport. The kid who came with us called my DS in the morning and asked him to come and get some cash from his so we could pick him up something at DTD. HE jumped in the car and I told his mom that he could ride into the airport with us and come back home with My DH. It wasn't until he went through security that my DS finally realized that his friend was coming with us... That's twice I have tricked them.... I'm wondering if they aren't that bright! LOL :blush:
BTW they are teens!

andreallybadeggs
06-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Kept the secret twice from our Disney fanatic and now Cast Member!! :mickey:
First time was a tack-on to a trip to the beach.
Second time was her 16th birthday and I almost burst for the 5 months of planning. She and best DF thought we were taking them to Branson (2 hours away by car) and were excited about that.
When we got to the airport and they found out our real destination it was pure magic. We asked her
"If you could be anywhere in the world on your 16th birthday were would it be?" She started screaming
"Disney World!!" and we said..."Phew, since that's where we have reservations." It was a fabulous weekend and we know she will NEVER forget that 16th birthday.:cloud9:

Grumpy's Daughter
06-03-2008, 09:26 AM
We're trying to keep it a secret for Christmas! SHHHHHHH!!!:secret: We usually go camping for two weeks in the summer with our extended family, but this year, other activities got in the way of our plans. So, my mom said to me, "We've got a really long Christmas break this year- wanna go?" Like she'd have to ask twice! So, I started pricing things out, got a reservation, and have basically planned our ADR's and itinerary. The plan is to surprise them on Christmas morning that we're leaving the next day! Just hope that I can keep it a secret that long!

Hull-onian
06-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, when we started planning the trip, I had to tell DD because we were pulling the kids out of school three days early. However, for Christmas, I made each person a copy of their park hopper passes, laminated them, and attached them to a Mickey or Minnie canvas carry on bag for the airport. That was their big surprise for Christmas. They loved it.

brownie
06-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I tried surprising my wife in 2001 with a trip for our anniversary. I arranged time off from her work and set-up family to watch our kids.

She was surprised, but it was about 4-5 months before the trip. I was too excited about the trip to keep it secret any longer!

DawsonAR
06-03-2008, 10:37 PM
We have kept all our trips except one a secret. The first trip was the best. It was for our son's fourth Birthday. I ordered a Stuffed Mickey Mouse from Disney.com that had a card that said "come on down to disney and see me now" " Happy birthday, love Mickey". On the morning we were to leave, I had him go get the paper off the steps. Right by the door was Mickey sitting on a Buzz Light year luggage set. He was so excited. We did something similar for my daughters birthday.
Another time, I was at Disney in November and I had Mickey autograph a book and invite my kids down. The morning we were planning on leaving, it was sitting by their breakfast. They opened it to read it and Mickey had a personal invitation to them.
Our last trip wasn't a surprise. My son told me when we returned that he wanted us to surprise him from this point forward. He said he enjoyed the planning, but it is more fun to be surprised. So I guess I will be looking for new ways to surprise them.