PDA

View Full Version : Tigerinvestigator's May08 Day 9 (Departure/Final Thoughts)

Tigerinvestigator
06-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Sunday May 18 Departure Day

The alarm clock went off way to early this morning. The girls and Jaxon got ready first and walked down to Boma for their departure breakfast. From what I heard it was a great breakfast( it must have been because it was a long time before they got hungry) and they had a good time. I stayed in the bed trying to prepare myself for the long, long, long, longlonglong......drive which was ahead. It is bad enough I had to leave my "home" but even worse I had to drive all the way back to Tennessee in one day! The smoke from wildfires had cut off our trip to St. Augustine we usually make after Disney and the girls and Jaxon had to be back at school on Monday. I slowly got up and dressed and finished packing. When the others got back from Boma we were packed and ready. A quick check out and then we were on our way. As we left the AKL grounds we ran headlong into a marathon which diverted us through the Animal Kingdom Cast Member parking. We stopped at the Hess station near the Boardwalk and that gave us one final look at Hollywood Studios, TOT, Swan, Dolphin, and Boardwalk. While I filled up the tank ($76) we caught glimpses of happy guests on their busses headed for happier times. A few minutes later we hit I-4 to I-75 and we were on our way. I had the windows down breathing in that warm Florida air (I swear it is different than the air when you get into Alabama) for a few last hours. We stopped in Cottondale and let Jaxon buy his dad a big Aligator head. We stopped in Birmingham at Shoneys (far cry from Garden Grill) and rolled back into TN about 9pm. I asked Jaxon (who was experiencing his first ever bout with Disney blues) as we were pulling up at his house if he was ready to go home or I could turn the truck around and drive another 12 hrs back to Florida and he said "turn this truck around". Another great vacation had ended just as all of the vacations before it. And here are my final thoughts:

1) The weather and crowds were perfect this week. More so than usual and we never waited in line. Only the last two days were very hot and we never saw a drop of rain.

2) Unchaperoned kids are a problem Disney will have to address at some point. I honestly don't see how a family can enjoy an entire week at a value resort with all of the unchaperoned kids. Vulgar language, loud music, public displays of overaffection, and teenagers running over small children were the norm the one night we stayed at ASMu. Moving to AKL was a blessing.

3) As a career law enforcement officer I was a little upset about the lack of security at DTD while we were there. It was a weeknite and I saw several gang members, smelled dope, and heard profanity within earshot of kids and families on vacation. This is the first night we have noticed this at DTD and they need to stop it before it gets out of hand.

4) Getting back to positive things- The official Ticket Center is great and I highly recommend this Intercot Sponsor!

5)I absolutely hate we never got to meet up with DolphinMickey and crew. We tried but it just wasn't in the schedule. We also looked for Hayden'sDad to no avail. I missed the opportunity to meet Pogo a few years ago (staying at the Poly and we were probably a few feet away watching Wishes from the beach while they watched from their balcony) and I have regretted it ever since because we have become good friends through Intercot.

6)My girls are so much fun at WDW and having Jaxon this trip made it even better.

7)The P&P Party is worth the money!

8)Jiko is the perfect place if you are looking for a good restaurant for an anniversary.

9)My final thought is this: I have always struggled with the Disney Blues as many of you have. It is a feeling of sadness mixed with disappointment of leaving a magical world behind and entering back into a not so perfect world. I have come to the conclusion that while it is painful it is also necessary. I never want to lose the Disney blues because that would mean I no longer love WDW as much as I once did. Those blues are a symbol of our love for WDW and spring hope for another trip and future vacations with our families!:thumbsup:

Thanks for reading folks.........and in the words of Jiminy Cricket....."So long".:)

darko aggie
06-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your vacation, Ive enjoyed reading every post. Reading your vacation makes me very anxious for my vacation in July. Just like you we'll be driving also, but from Oklahoma:unsure:, a first for us.

ChipnDaleGal
06-01-2008, 12:23 PM
I so enjoyed all of your reports. It was a delight to follow the adventures of your family and lucky Jaxon. Thank you for taking the time to share it all with us. And don't forget... the best cure for those Disney Blues is starting to plan a new trip!:mickey:

Vintage Disney
06-01-2008, 01:06 PM
I enjoyed reading your trip reports. We were there May 6 - 12 and I am still suffering from the WDW blues. :)

tinkerbell04
06-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip! I have really enjoyed reading as you review your adventures. We are leaving in 11 days and are getting quite excited!

faline
06-01-2008, 03:42 PM
I've greatly enjoyed tagging along on your trip! I think that all Intercotees truly understand those Disney Blues! Hopefully, you are already planning another trip which is really the only "cure"!

dolphinmickey9170
06-01-2008, 04:31 PM
5)I absolutely hate we never got to meet up with DolphinMickey and crew. We tried but it just wasn't in the schedule.

We were also sad we didn't get a chance to meet up with you. Hopefully we can manage to make another meet some other time. I think it was totally awesome that you were able to bring Jaxon with you. What an awesome friend you are.

Thanks for the awesome reports! I loved reading them and hate that they have to end. I agree with you on the Disney Blues, but we have the next trip planned and two more on the back burner, so this makes the blues a little easier to deal with.

Take care!:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
06-01-2008, 06:32 PM
I have enjoyed all your reports. I know how you feel with the "blues". I really havent seen any real "bad elements" at DTD, but it is rare that we are there at night. WDW is one place that I do not tolerate the "gangsta" lifestyle (of any race). I hope Disney crcks down. Like You my friend I visit to escape what we have to deal with all too often in the real world.:mickey:

WDWCrazyKaren
06-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! What a great trip report. I think most of us here were as sad to see your trip end as you were! I loved hearing your stories. Thank you also, from all of us, who would love to take a non-family member with and just don't have the opportunity. I'm so glad others are able to do this, and your family truly gave Jaxon a memory of a lifetime.

cal5755
06-02-2008, 11:27 PM
I really enjoyed reading ALL of your trip reports.I was sad to reach your last day, you are great at telling your vacation stories. I love all of your DD3 silly happenings during your vacation... her personality shines through in your posts. I am so glad you guys didn't hit any bad weather and it sounds like your trip was super great and super magical!! Thanks so much for sharing :mickey:

I completely agree with your last statement. I myself get the Disney Blues and usually pick myself up by planning the next one..... you are so right that if we lost those Disney blues it would mean not loving that magical place so much.... and I just can't see that happening so... like you...I will take the Disney Blues too.

Thanks again for sharing!

DizNee143
06-03-2008, 12:23 PM
i really enjoyed reading all about your familys trip..sounds like you all had a wonderful time..and im glad you got to share that joy with someone who had never been..thank you for sharing your trip with us!:mickey:

A Mouse Fan
06-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Thank you SO much for sharing your wonderful trip with us! What a great family you have! That was really wonderful of you to take Jaxon...I am sure he will be talking about the trip for months!
I am glad you had great weather and we are hoping for some of the same for our trip in November! I 100% agree with you that unchaperoned kids are becoming more of a problem...and yes, if Disney is going to keep this a "family" environment...no gangs, no profanity etc. they are going to have to beef up security and be strict about enforcement.
I am sorry about your Disney Blues...I confess :blush: I always cry when leaving the last day and pulling out of the WL...geez I am tearing up now!
Thanks Again!

Tygger7
06-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Sunday May 18 Departure Day

9)My final thought is this: I have always struggled with the Disney Blues as many of you have. It is a feeling of sadness mixed with disappointment of leaving a magical world behind and entering back into a not so perfect world. I have come to the conclusion that while it is painful it is also necessary. I never want to lose the Disney blues because that would mean I no longer love WDW as much as I once did. Those blues are a symbol of our love for WDW and spring hope for another trip and future vacations with our families!:thumbsup:

You so eloquently worded what I've been feeling since we got back from the world. I've been so depressed since we got home, and reading your thoughts on "Disney blues" really made me smile...because you're exactly right. Thank you for helping me to see things in a different light. :cloud9:

By the way, I too tried to hook up with some follow Intercot members, but it just didn't work out. We were there from May 9-21, and quite possibly crossed paths. Oh well, something to look forward to next time!

KylesMom
06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
All nicely summarized and said - especially your last point. Glad you've made it home safe & sound - and can begin planning the next family trip! I'm sorry to hear about the various issues with regard to the All Stars and DTD - although we've never seen the "seedier" side of Disney such as this, I don't doubt that it's just underneath the surface. They MUST be diligent to keep Disney what it is - a safe, comfortable place for families.

Once again, it was wonderful to tag along with you and your family - thanks for sharing! :mickey:

pdrlkr
06-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the great reports! :smickey:

indytraveler
06-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Thank you for letting us in our your vacation. I enjoyed reading each of your days of fun. We usually play the soundtrack of Wishes as we leave the property for the last time on our trips. Everyone is quiet and reflective of their time during this 15-20 min.
Thanks again.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I really enjoyed reading the reports. And Jaxon is lucky to have friends like you. This is a memory he will never forget.

mouseketeer mom
06-08-2008, 09:01 AM
The Disney blues...it hurts all the way from your toes,doesn't it? Thanks for your terrific report!:mickey::mickey:

pogo
06-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Jason.....

The last day reports are always the hardest ones for me to read. I can hear the sadness in your voice. :(

Thank you for once again sharing your family vacation with us, and thank you for being such a great human being by taking Jaxon with your family. You've given this young man a lifetime of memories that will help him build his character as he grows up and I'm sure he will grow into an outstanding person like you. He's had a great mentor. :yes:

One day we will meet (how about December)and I'm sure our friendship will flourish all the more.

Take care my friend and may God continue to bless you and your family. :D