PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with a C-Pap machine

Friend of Figment
06-01-2008, 12:15 AM
I have just gotten a C-pap so this will be my first summer travelling with it. I am going to Argentina in June and DW in August. Does anyone have any advice about taking it along? Does anyone use theirs on the plane? (The flight to Argentina is overnight - I'll be in first class because of FF Miles so I will have a lie flat bed.) Is there a plug in near the bed at the Contemporary?

Thanks!

kakn7294
06-01-2008, 06:18 AM
I don't have a CPap but a friend who does says they are easy to travel with. He just packs it up and goes but he's never had an overnight flight so he's never used it on a plane. I don't know if you use regular tap water or sterile water in yours, but you might want to consider getting sterile water for your trips. If you use tap water at home, you are used to it but who knows what bugs may lurk in the taps on a trip. There should be a plug handy at the CR - I know there are at the values and mods as there is a clock radio on the nightstand between the beds. I hope your trips are great! If you are there at the right time and interested, there is a mini meet being planned for August 11 at Epcot. Check out this thread. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=134753)

ElenitaB
06-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Check with your airlines regarding using the C-Pap on your flight.

Also, if you do need to use sterile (distilled? would plain boiled do?) water, arrange with the concierge at your hotel to get it. You won't be able to travel with it due to TSA's fluid restrictions.

Good luck! Is the Argentina trip for business or pleasure? I've always wanted to travel there.

Friend of Figment
06-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the reply. Argentina is for fun. I'm a college instructor so I have summer off. I decided on Argentina since their economy is worse than ours and the dollar is still strong there!

My machine doesn't use much water so maybe 3ounces will be enough. I'll have to measure.

I can't believe I'm going to miss the meet by one day!

Rayadragon
06-11-2008, 04:53 PM
My dad uses a C-Pap machine. We carried it on the plane, but since it was just a day trip I'm unsure about whether or not you could use it on the plane. He uses sterile/distilled water in his. I believe what we did was pack a small bottle or two in the checked luggage for his use, but it would probably be easier to have it delivered or to talk to the hotel front desk about your options. For use at night he would basically keep it on the nightstand between the two beds. There was a power outlet that the alarm clock plugged into that he used. A word of caution though was that his mask seemed to get especially mildew-y compared to normal. We wound up washing it out in the sink one day to try and help with the smell. Hope this helps!

chick20679
06-14-2008, 09:38 AM
I assume you are flying either American or United to get to Argentina?
If so, you can use the website seatguru.com to find out if the aircraft you'll be on will be equipped with EmPower (so you'd be able to plug it in), but I would advise that you still call your airline in advance and verify that use of your CPAP machine is allowed during flight.
It will help you immensely if you are equipped with all the correct information before you get to the airport on your departure day.
Hope this helps a little. :thumbsup:

Friend of Figment
06-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the good advice.

KODABEAR
06-17-2008, 10:16 PM
My DH has been using a C-PAP machine for over 5 years. We go to WDW 3-4 times/year and have stayed at lots of different resorts. (Contemp last Dec) all have an outlet near the bed. You may have to move the radio depending on your machine size to make room. Enjoy your trips!!:mickey:

Beast_fanatic
06-19-2008, 10:17 PM
On our last trip, they made DH take his CPAP machine out of the carrier and run it through the X-ray by itself (similar treatment to a laptop). Other than that, we didn't have any problems with. We had bought a couple of 3 oz plastic bottles with secure sealing lids, and we took those filled with distilled water in our ziploc bag for the first night. Beyond that, we picked up some distilled water at the grocery store.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-12-2008, 02:24 PM
:) We are driving so bringing my own distlled water won't be a problem....but I was wondering about plugs at the Pop....I know their rooms are smaller than the deluxe, but was wondering if they still have plugs by the bed.

VolMickey
07-12-2008, 02:37 PM
I've used bi-pap for many years, including last 2 times in The World -- CR and AKL. No problems.

DigitalDaredevil
08-08-2008, 02:09 AM
Every Disney Hotel that I have stayed as has plugs near the beds/nightstands.
Another suggestion for your CPAP users the fly is to keep the user manual on top of the CPAP. Although they are becoming more and more common, it is smart to have the manual withthe machine so when the TSA sees your luggage they don't start wondering what you have.

ariel326
08-20-2008, 11:06 AM
TSA knows exactly what a CPAP is. When you get to security if you are carrying on you must take it out of the bag and TSA does a swab test on it. Also, always keep a small 8-10 ft extension cord in your bag.