PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews 5/23-5/27, Part 1

Hammer
05-31-2008, 02:58 PM
I took my parents to stay at Saratoga Springs Resort May 23-27 in a studio. Dining this trip was different, as my parents like a nice sit-down breakfast and dinner and have a snack in the middle of the day. So, I did not use either Dining Plan this time, though I did purchase the DDE card, which is good until 6/30/09, which will be used for discounts on alcohol in October when my sister and I will use the Deluxe Dining Plan.

Friday 5/23- Breakfast- at my parents’ home in Clearwater.

Lunch- Artist’s Palette- Mom and I split a Cheese flat bread and Dad had a Tuna Salad sandwich on toast. Food was passable and served its purpose to tide us over until dinner.

Dinner- Kona Café, Polynesian Resort- When choosing our dinners, I made a point to choose mostly casual places with a variety of food, as my parents tend to like those places since they retired. I had an appetizer of the sticky wings, which Mom and Dad each tried (we are all about trying each other’s food in my family) and Dad ordered the crab cakes which Mom tried (I’ve had them before). The sticky wings were preferred. Main courses were teriyaki sirloin for my Mom and I, medium rare and Dad got the filet mignon, also medium rare. Mom had them switch out the broccoli for the asparagus. All found their steaks to be tasty, though Mom and I did encounter a little gristle on our steaks. No dessert, as nothing really interested us (I still miss KoKo Puffs here). Service was very good as we never wanted for anything and special requests were granted.

Saturday 5/24- Breakfast- Perkins in Crossroads.

Dinner- Grand Floridian Café, Grand Floridian Resort- This was chosen as the Grand Floridian is a favorite of my parents and it fit with the casual theme. No one ordered appetizers tonight as the spinach and artichoke dip is gone  and none of the other options interested us. Our entrées were NY Strip for Dad, medium rare (on the rare side) and my Mom and I each ordered the Shrimp and Prosciutto Penne Pasta. Everyone was pleased with their meals and my Dad commented that the steak was better here than at Kona, though Kona was still good. Everyone ordered dessert this night: mini key lime pie for me, mini lemon cheesecake for mom and pineapple sorbet for Dad. Mom and I were somewhat disappointed with our desserts. The Key lime was just okay and my Mom said to tell my people in the Dining forum (;)) that the lemon cheesecake did not have any lemon flavor. I tasted her dessert and I have to agree. Dad’s sorbet was good, though.

After Dinner treat- We went to DTD to see if we could get seats at any of the movies we were interested in seeing (no such luck) but we stopped at Ghiradelli’s and each ordered Diet Coke Floats, which hit the spot.

Sunday 5/25- Breakfast- in the room (Special K and coffee)

This was the one day Mom and Dad wanted to do a park. I had been going to the parks for parts of every day, but Mom and Dad preferred to just relax and were fine with me going off and doing my thing. But they were interested in Epcot and the Flower and Garden festival.

Afternoon snack- Fish and Chips and Harp Ale(Yorkshire Fish Shop) as well as Grand Marnier slush, Diet Coke, and Pastries (France). We ate the fish and chips under an umbrella table in the UK. Very tasty and Dad was pleased that they had Malt Vinegar as he loves that on fish and chips (Dad was stationed in England in the 60’s while in the Air Force). We picked up a napoleon, éclair and a chocolate croissant in the Patisserie (I got the slush and the diet coke at the stand) and enjoyed these in the indoor seating next to the Patisserie. Everything but the éclair scored rave reviews. The éclair was just okay.
Part 2 coming soon...

dolphinmickey9170
05-31-2008, 06:14 PM
These are great reviews. We just dined at Kona the evening of the 22nd and had the filet, with substituted broccoli as well. The filet was so tender and flavorful. We really enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing!!:mickey:

MMouse6937
05-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Christine, those were great reviews, Thanks!

I haven't eaten at any of the places you described so I appreciate the insight. We were thinking of Kona for this trip as I've heard it's pretty good.

Jeff
06-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the reviews!:thumbsup:

ElenitaB
06-01-2008, 09:16 AM
I've been waiting for you to post your reviews! Thanks for sharing!

And thanks to your mom for her input too! :thumbsup: When's she going to start posting?

tinkerbell04
06-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the reviews! It sounds like you really had great meals on the trip. I am looking forward to part 2!