PDA

View Full Version : Raglan Road

mouseketeer mom
05-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Thinking about it...
What is the atmosphere like? Is it like a bar atmosphere?
We really like the food at Rose and Crown, but really only like eating outside, not really into the drinking, pubby atmosphere inside.
Wondering if Raglan Road feels like a bar, or like a family place..I think the menu sounds great!
Thanks!

Natazu
05-30-2008, 07:24 PM
It's pretty much a bar with a restaurant around it. The interior is beautiful but the entertainment is very loud. If you're in the main room, conversation is impossible. We've been a couple of times and never really enjoyed the place, the food, or the service.
Their CS fish and chips place next door (Cookes of Dublin) is awesome though.

mouseketeer mom
05-30-2008, 09:15 PM
It's pretty much a bar with a restaurant around it. The interior is beautiful but the entertainment is very loud. If you're in the main room, conversation is impossible. We've been a couple of times and never really enjoyed the place, the food, or the service.
Their CS fish and chips place next door (Cookes of Dublin) is awesome though.

Thanks! That was just the information I needed. I won't be making an ADR then., not for us.
Thanks for your previous advice too, on the Flying Fish, you sold me, and I can't wait to go!

bc002k
05-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Let me just interject..

We went for an early lunch (no ADR, walked right in) a few weeks ago, and it wasn't much louder than a library at that time. So you could always go at that time and avoid the rush. The atmosphere is nice, and the food is really good (the Bread & Butter Pudding is the greatest dessert in WDW).

Janmac
05-31-2008, 01:42 PM
We had an early supper ADR here in Dec. 06. I think we were the first diners. It was very quiet. The atmosphere didn't seem very much like a bar to me tho the bars themselves were awesome in size and decoration. We had a nice leisurely meal, but when I asked did we want to repeat this restaurant again next trip, family members were lukewarm. We couldn't say why for sure, either. Even the ones who like Rose and Crown didn't need to repeat Raglan Road.

As a counterpoint, even tho we had several family members who were so not looking forward to supper at Akershus at Norway, after our meal there everyone said they'd eat there again. We have an ADR scheduled at Akershus on our upcoming trip.

Jan

SBETigg
05-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Sorry to say that I think Jym is steering you wrong on this one. It's family-friendly, lovely inside, and we've had no problem keeping conversation going. The band doesn't play all the time! Plus, the food is outstanding. It doesn't have a similar atmosphere to R & C. It's more polished and the bar is really not a big part of it. It's definitely more restaurant with bar than the other way around.

mouseketeer mom
05-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Uh,..talk about mixed messages! :confused:

Crow
05-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Had lunch there last trip & liked the Fish & Chips and:beer:
ive stopped a few times at the bar also. havent been there at night w the band though.
I will probably go in Sept
Cookes next door is awesome.

SBETigg
05-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Uh,..talk about mixed messages! :confused:

In that case, you're better safe than sorry. Plan to eat somewhere else, but maybe pop in for a look to put it back on the list for a future visit or to know for sure if it's not for you.

It's really lovely inside, lots of wood and stained glass. It was one of our best meals on our last trip, just below California Grill and Narcoossee's but above Le Cellier and far superior to our experience at Kona Cafe.

Natazu
05-31-2008, 11:42 PM
A lot of people love RR. That's fine. I don't hate, we just can't seem to catch a break there. It may just be that we always go during the loudest most obnoxious part of the night. But my food and service comment aside, Raglan Road is a pub first and a restaurant second.

goofynmd
06-01-2008, 07:37 AM
my entire family went here in March 2007 (6 adults and 3 kids). I think we had a 6pm ADR and had a table outside. The food was very good and I didn't feel out of place having young kids there. I am sure sitting inside is more of a pub atmosphere, but outside felt like any restaurant in WDW.

SBETigg
06-01-2008, 12:31 PM
A lot of people love RR. That's fine. I don't hate, we just can't seem to catch a break there. It may just be that we always go during the loudest most obnoxious part of the night. But my food and service comment aside, Raglan Road is a pub first and a restaurant second.

Technically, you're more correct than I in that it is a pub and there are four separate bar areas. But, a pub in the traditional UK sense is a social place for drinking, and eating, and family friendy- so not so much the American idea of a "bar," though the OP knows this and dislikes R & C.

Still, in the daytime and even early evening at Raglan Road, the feel is more restaurant and not as much bar-oriented and it is worth checking out for the food, which is why I suggested the OP skip it this time but check it out to see about future possibilities. I didn't mean to step on your toes, Jym, I just feel a little differently on this one and the food is too good to so easily discount- though apparently it hasn't been for you.

mouseketeer mom
06-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Technically, you're more correct than I in that it is a pub and there are four separate bar areas. But, a pub in the traditional UK sense is a social place for drinking, and eating, and family friendy- so not so much the American idea of a "bar," though the OP knows this and dislikes R & C.

Still, in the daytime and even early evening at Raglan Road, the feel is more restaurant and not as much bar-oriented and it is worth checking out for the food, which is why I suggested the OP skip it this time but check it out to see about future possibilities. I didn't mean to step on your toes, Jym, I just feel a little differently on this one and the food is too good to so easily discount- though apparently it hasn't been for you.

Thanks everyone! Your responses helped me. Thats the thing..I really loved the food at R and C and suspect I would really enjoy Raglan Road. I do know we don't enjoy the whole pubby scene...just not for us, and thats OK. I think I would like to try this..but not for a dinner after hearing responses. I think this would be a good lunch option for us., and if we're lucky, we can be outside. Thanks again!