PDA

View Full Version : Canine hip dysplasia

azdisneymom
05-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Just found out my puppy has hip dysplasia. :( I would appreciate any tips to help keep her going.

d_m_n_n
05-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Our sweet Golden Ret. suffered from HD. There were days when he acted like a pup and days when he could hardly stand up. We noticed it was always worse in the winter months. He was on the hip/joint medicine Glucosamine(TY RenDuran!) that we just got at the petco. On days when he seemed really sore/stiff we would give him a couple of the doggy aspirin. We also took away his "fluffy" doggie bed and went for a more foam one. Toward the end the fluffy one was hard for him to get up from.

RenDuran
05-30-2008, 01:05 PM
I've always heard one of the best things you can do is keep your dog on the slim side. Our vet swears that being on the skinny side is better than being just a tiny bit heavy.

Glucosamine is a supplement you can give your dog for some joint problems. I'm not sure if Dysplasia is one of them, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your vet. My first dog took glucosamine after a knee replacement and it made a world of difference in her walking/running ability.

Good luck to your pup!

tink2006
05-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Just last night my DH and I were talking about our lab that is 1.5. We have noticed that he is doing the "bunny hop" when he is running outside and is limping a little. We were discussing going to the vet to see if it is just sore (he recently went through our storm door)or if he has HD. Like you, I do not know much about this. I hear it can be painful :( I do not want my Otis to be in pain. Yes, my son named our dog after the drunk on Mayberry :confused:
I hear early detection is key.

I hope everything works out for us both!

azdisneymom
05-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks so much for the adivce. Our vet did say she needed to loose a 5 pounds. Glucosamin is starting to help but there are days she still gets up like she is very old. About the only real exercise she can tolerate is short 15-20 minute walks or swimming. I worry about her future. I am sad because we used to go on long walks or to the dog park. Now she is stuck at home most of the time. When we do go to the park it requires a day or two of pain medication.

I haven''t tried a foam bed. Maybe that will help her not be quite so stiff when she gets up.

Stitchahula
06-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Keeping the weight down will help. My old grooming instructor had a shepherd with dysplasia that was really bad and she went to an accupunturist for him it worked wonders for years. There is also meds they can put the pup on to help with joint pain for when it gets really bad. good luck. oh for exercise you might want to try swimming it's low impact and will give them some exercise without putting alot of weight on their hips.

Marilyn Michetti
06-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Do you have a pool? Pet stores sell doggie life preservers, and it works wonders. :dog:

KineGirl
06-02-2008, 07:59 PM
My doggie has also had HD since she was a pup - we had spent a fortune on xrays before they finally came to this conclusion. Anyways we do the same with the Gluco meds and aspirin but I also wanted to put out there in case your pup travels in the car with you to get those doggie steps.Where we live its practically mandatory to bring your dog everywhere you go in the car and as long as the weather is permitting, we are happy to oblige. She loves to "go for ride". Our girl is 7 now and would really have a hard time getting in and out of our SUV if it werent for her steps. Theyre great for dogs who get to lay on couches and beds too. :thumbsup: Sometimes she also likes me to rub her hips lightly when she is lying down. She stretches her leg waaaaay out with a big sigh. :)