PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants in Savannah GA

goingbacktodisney
05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Can anyone recommend a good one in Savannah? We will be stopping there for one night on our way down to WDW and have never been to Savannah before.

Thanks in advance!

LittleRoosMommy
05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
We ate at Lady and Sons restaurant while we were there 3 years ago. This is owned by Paula Deen from Food Network. It's a homestyle buffet. Did I mention it is DELICIOUS!!! I'm not sure of the street address, but I'm sure anyone in Savannah could tell you. Hope this helps!

elmjimmlm
05-29-2008, 09:06 PM
There is also Uncle Bubbas Oyster House...This is Paula Deens brothers restaurant...We stopped there on the way home one year and it was really good...

mdhiggin
05-29-2008, 09:43 PM
We ate at Il Postaccio not too long ago for a business dinner. We just showed up, and the company paid for everything. That was where we were invited to. It was very fancy shmancy. I was excited since my mom kept my kids while my husband and I had a dinner with grown ups. Very rare indeed. Anyhoo. We have realized since eating at Jiko and now Il Postaccio, both 5 star or so, that we're not really into that kind of food. The desserts at Il Postaccio were marvelous, though. They had lots of appetizers ordered, and I tried everything, even the foot cheese. I swear it smelled like locker room socks. We ordered our meals, and DH and I tasted each others.

I guess we're just not conoisseurs. We saw some super chic skinny girl being served a fish with the head still on. We had the best time. It was country come to town. When we were leaving, all of the dessert hadn't been eaten off of the serving plate for our party of 10. I waited for someone else to say something, but no one did, so I spoke up. I took home some chocolate thing that was deeeevine and the creme brulee. It was in a special serving dish, and the waiter didn't want me to make a mess of it by pouring it into the styrofoam box, so he told me to take home the dish! How great is that! I gots me a souvenir!
Other than the desserts, the food was not our favorite, but the enjoyment we had with the experience was excellent.

mdhiggin
05-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Sorry. It was Il Pasticcio. They have a website. Just type it in with Savannah, and it'll pull it up.

TheDuckRocks
05-30-2008, 10:27 AM
On our stops in Savannah on the way to WDW, we have eaten at:
The Shrimp Factory on River Street, I know it sounds odd for a seafood restaurant but I had the most unusal pork dish that was out of this world. The caesar salad there was a bit different and amazingly good. Can't seem to remember what I had for dessert but I know it was good as well.
Love's Seafood & Steak outside of town on Hwy 17 South. Without a doubt some of the best seafood I've ever had in my life! And that's saying something as we lived in Hawaii for 13 years and got very used to "fresh from the sea same day" quality.
In Dec. we will be once again trying to get into The Lady & Sons. There has always been a line half way down the block and they don't take reservations. This time we will be staying at the Hyatt because it is the closest hotel to the restaurant and I now have my scooter so standing won't be a problem. I love Paula and her boys and want to try many of the local specialties for which she is known.

msc_idiot
06-01-2008, 09:49 PM
City Market has a lot of great places. There's normal fare, like Outback Steakhouse and Subway, but there are restaurants to cover any taste. One of the coolest is a pizza joint called Vinnie Van Go-Gos. City Market isn't a huge place so its pretty easy to find. And it is in one of the most beautiful parts (though INCREDIBLY tourist-y). Lady and Sons is also there. If you like sea food (like, real seafood. Nothing fried, just Low Country Boil style) the Crab Shack is great. If you sit outside, you are right on the river. It's not in City Market, but there are signs and benches advertising it on your way through Savannah towards Tybee Island. If you go to Tybee (BEAUTIFUL spot) there is a place called Lighthouse Pizza that is right off of the beach along with all of the souenier shops, and it is great. We just got back about 3 hours ago from a weekend trip (we live just a bit north) and just went to these places, so I can vouch for the food. The one place we didn't get to go to that I have heard great things about is the Sugar Shack. It has burgers and onion rings, that kind of fare, but it's really known for it's ice cream. And almost anywhere you go, you're going to get good atmosphere (even if it is a bit on the hokey side).

As a side note, if you have the time, take one of the tours. The ghost tours, if you pick the right tour company, are a ball. Some are the light hearted more informative kind, while others are goofy (driver of the trolly is dressed as a pirate since pirates were responsible for so many deaths there). The city is so full of history that it is worth it to go on the guided tour. But if you have kids with you, check before hand what the tour consists of, because some are meant to really be terrifying. Most are pretty common, just riding around listening to ghost stories of the houses that you are looking at.

pianobabe
06-01-2008, 10:01 PM
I will also say Vinnie Van Go-Go's (they only take cash, no cards of any kind). Paula's places were good, Uncle Bubba's and Lady and Sons. We have eaten at the Shrimp Factory before too. The Pirate's House is also good. My favorite for sentimental reasons (we ate there on our honeymoon) was The Pink House.