PDA

View Full Version : UNinvent things

ShelbyAD
05-29-2008, 04:44 PM
I heard this topic on the radio the other day. What do you wish was never, invented, discovered, made, etc?

For me:

Guns
Drugs - Illegal/street
Cigarettes
Alcohol

Jasper
05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
For me it is not so much a "thing" as a couple of concepts those being - hate, war, and prejudice!

The problem with "uninventing" things is that so often those very items when used in a positive manner can be a force for good. For example, I know what you were referring to when you said you would uninvent guns, drugs, and alcohol but when used properly these things are actually a force for good. For example, I have had severe health issues for the last 15 years or so and would not be able to make it without my pain killers. Yet, I have keep them in a safe for fear that someone might break in and steal them for less than an appropriate use. So for all the bad that things like that can do they can also do good things as well.

princessjojo
05-29-2008, 05:15 PM
My DS had a very similar topic to write about on his SAT test this past December. Their approach was UN-learn rather than un-invent.

I don't know that I would un-invent anything. By way of even the worst inventions we have learned to make or invent some wonderful things. Just like drugs gone wrong have many times been proven to work on other issues. Welbutrin is one of them, not that it's actually a drug gone bad, but it was first designed as a smoking cessation medication that turned out to make it's users less depressed. Maybe vice-versa, but one therapeutic effect was found as a result of the other’s use. I guess that as a result of all things bad, we’ve learned to build better mousetraps.

bleukarma
05-29-2008, 06:06 PM
I would uninvent pantyhose.

Ian
05-29-2008, 06:46 PM
I would uninvent pantyhose.As a man, I"d have to vote against that. ;)

For me ... definitely nuclear weapons. I can't see any way the world is better off for having those.

Also idiots ... can we uninvent idiots? :thedolls:

pink
05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I know that they're very useful but I would have to uninvent fancy cell phones. I want people to use their cell phones for emergencys and not for every little thing. People are so wrapped up in their phones that they can't leave it alone for an hour, they always have to be talking to people on AIM or looking up things on Facebook/Myspace. It puts people out of touch with reality, stop playing on your phones and pay attention to you surroundings. But hey that's just me! :mickey:

Jasminegirlsmom
05-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm with you sister!!! :thumbsup:

Marilyn Michetti
05-29-2008, 07:42 PM

They already did - they were called stockings or "hose" - one for each leg with a seam running up the back.:haha:

My wish would be to un-invent fast food. We're all too un-healthy.:sick:

ShelbyAD
05-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I heard someone say on the radio to un-invent a woman's undergarment. I'm on the fence about it. Yes they are the most uncomfortable thing, but they do make us look good in shirts.

Dakota Rose
05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
cell phones
cable/dish tv
in-car DVD systems
political correctness
7-day work weeks for the retail industry
(I liked it better when things were closed on Sundays)

Flower
05-30-2008, 07:33 AM
The chest freezer.....whomever invented them should be made to destroy everyone and replace them with an upright freezer chest.

There is so much hovering at the bottom of my freezer that I can never get to, it is only 8 years old and hopefully won't kick it anytime soon....but when it goes I will get an upright for sure!

tinkerbellybutton
05-30-2008, 07:49 AM
For me it is not so much a "thing" as a couple of concepts those being - hate, war, and prejudice!

The problem with "uninventing" things is that so often those very items when used in a positive manner can be a force for good. For example, I know what you were referring to when you said you would uninvent guns, drugs, and alcohol but when used properly these things are actually a force for good. For example, I have had severe health issues for the last 15 years or so and would not be able to make it without my pain killers. Yet, I have keep them in a safe for fear that someone might break in and steal them for less than an appropriate use. So for all the bad that things like that can do they can also do good things as well.

I tend to agree with you, I have similar issues. It's not the "drugs" it's those who abuse them. I have to keep mine in a safe as well since someone broke into our home and stole two of the three types of pain meds I take :mad:

I'm not looking for a gun control debate, so please don't blast me, but I have to say when I was a young mother newly married and struggling to get by, my ex-husband used to go hunting in the fall and if it weren't for deer and moose meat our family would have been without meat for a good portion of the winter. (I myself don't eat meat but DD and my ex survived on game for a few winters.)