PDA

View Full Version : Did I make a smart/dumb move?

Gocubs
05-29-2008, 11:53 AM
My wife and I had our first child in April and already we are talking about his first trip to WDW. Obviously that is going to quite a long ways off. We want him to be old enough to enjoy the visit, we were thinking around 3 years of age.

Well, we used part of our stimulus refund to buy two 10-day, no exp, Park-hopper tickets. This isn't an "investment" per se, it won't make us any money. But it is nice to know we have them, and it should make future trips more affordable. We figure this will get us through 3 trips to WDW.

Anynone done this before? I was a little hesitant at first, but I don't think Disney will be lowering their prices anytime soon.

cal5755
05-29-2008, 12:09 PM
I have never done that before but it seems like a good idea to me...

Our first trip as a family to WDW was when our youngest was 6 months... we have great memories for us of her there big eyed and smiling at characters and great pictures for her baby book.... her second trip was when she was 2 and she remembered parts of that trip and we added more great memories for us and pictures too. On our next trip my baby will be 5 and this is her 4th trip and she is as much a disney nut just like us!! They are never too young to start :mickey:

AirlineGuy07
05-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Heck we just went the first week of May and our second child was only 7 weeks. He went on all of the calm rides in the Magic Kingdom. He loved The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh since there were so many bright colors throughout the ride.

ThanxForNoticin
05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that idea at all, especially if you have the money at this point. However, I'll be amazed if you can hold off for 3 years, especially since you have the passes paid for!!! You'll soon be asking questions looking for suggestions of how to do Disney with an infant - which is very possible, by the way! Congratulations.

scootch713
05-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Yes, it is a good idea. In 2005, I bought three(1 adult, 2 kids) for $918, Used them in 2005/2006. Then 2007 I bought another 10 day nonexp hopper and the price had gone up over $200! to like $1160. Now in 2008, those same tickets are over $1200. I am actually saving the days on my 2007 pass and also buying new passes this year... that way I will have days left on both passes and save the next price hike. Plus my daughter will turn 10 in a couple years, and wdw gives a free upgrade to an adult if they have already used some days on the tickets..... so that will save me a few bucks too. I took my girls when the littlest was 2 1/2 and she came back a walking disney world commercial... it was a wonderful trip!

mouseketeer mom
05-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Why not? You have them, you know you won't be paying more for them when you're ready to go...and isn't it a nice feeling just knowing you got 'em? Congrats on your first child!

Mrs Bus Driver
05-29-2008, 08:18 PM
I bought 10 parkhopper plus no expire for my trip and will only use 5 days this trip. I know I will return sometime. If you can plan ahead do it:mickey:

Gocubs
05-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm glad I did it. It is nice to know that I have them. But now since I did buy them, the urge to go is even greater!

faline
05-30-2008, 10:42 AM
I'm glad I did it. It is nice to know that I have them. But now since I did buy them, the urge to go is even greater!

And so...this is a problem??!! :D:mickey:

Bethis26fan
05-30-2008, 10:58 AM

lol yea I could never hold off 3 years knowing I had the tickets paid for. lol good luck.

GrumpyFan
05-30-2008, 11:11 AM

Like extra money (is there really such a thing), it just burns a hole in your pocket.

NOTE: For safety sake, in case you really do wait until your child is 3, scan the back of the passes into your computer and save it somewhere like Google or Yahoo, or somewhere you can find in 3 years. Or, if nothing else, write down the numbers and store it somewhere that you can find. This way, if you misplace them, you can contact Disney and have them replaced.

If it were us, I would probably get Grandma to watch the baby, and plan a 3 or 5 day trip sometime before the baby turns 3. My wife and I did this a couple of times before our kids were "old enough" to take. We waited until they could feed themselves, walk and use the bathroom without assistance. In our case, our youngest was 4, but to each their own. He's 11 now, and we still take trips to WDW without the kids. In fact, our trip in June is just DW and I.

OhToodles!
05-30-2008, 01:23 PM
That seems likeit was a great idea even if you don't stick with the plan. I think it will be very hard for you to wait 3 years - especially if you're used to going often now.
DH & I said we were going to wait until our kids were old enough too - like when they were potty trained. That will NOT happen. We're taking DS in October for his 1st bday (He's our only child rightnow) and are already talking about going next June & December sicne we decided to join DVC too at this time. We knew we'd never stick with the plan, but didn't think we could cave in so early either. I bet you'll be back before they're 3. :mickey:

Jasper
05-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Add me to the list of those who think this is a good idea. In fact, it is such a good idea that my wife and I were talking about doing the exact same thing with our stimulus check. That is of course if we ever actually receive it! Since it is based on the last two digits of your social security number and in my case that is 95 we will be one of the very last to actually get ours!

Good luck on waiting 3 years to use them!!:D:D Personally I don't think we would ever wait that long if we have the tickets in hand and they are already paid for! Our hope is that we can get a trip in at the end of this year but that is based on how well my next back surgery goes at the end of June!

Patty
05-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Great Idea!!!

Patty
05-30-2008, 07:32 PM
OOPS! I hit the return button before I finished!:blush: Like I said! Great idea! I was thinking of doing the same thing, however I had other things that were more pressing to do! I say play a little now! You and your wife could take off for a couple of days and enjoy the park, and then maybe the tickets won't be burning a hole in your pocket! Besides it may be your last time there alone for quite a while! You would still have plenty of days left on the ticket to enjoy your trip with your child!

#1donaldfan
05-30-2008, 08:05 PM
I like your idea, it's great !!! However, we waited till our youngest was 5.....it may have worked out with her a little younger, but we liked the idea of no strollers.......I've seen 'em there way young and I think it's great....I wish we hadn't waited so long....

....your plans are very sound ....... :cool:

tys_mommy
06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Remember that once he turns 3 you will need a ticket for him as well. Since you know these tickets will last you for 3 trips I’d go ahead and plan one for sooner just to get a quick fix.

diz_girl
06-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Our stimulus check is also earmarked for 10-day, no-exp, park hoppers w/water park. I wonder how many people are doing that.

Making a copy of the back of the passes was an idea I was going to suggest. When you finally use them, keep copies at home and take copies with you on your trip, in case something happens to one or both of them during or after your trip, or enroute to WDW. The friend of a co-worker left their passes at home and realized it after they had arrived at WDW. A friend or relative had to go to their house, find the passes and tell them the numbers on the back, so that they could use them on their current trip.

As for waiting until he's three, babies and toddlers enjoy the parks a lot, so you don't need to wait until he's three. Tysmommy had a good point about going before he's three, since you'll have to pay for his tickets after he turns three.

meldan98
06-05-2008, 06:44 PM
My dd is 4 and has been to WDW 1 time and on the DCL 1 time and has been to DL 7 times and will go on her 8th trip this summer. We started taking her on her 1st birthday and it was so much fun. By her 4th trip, she was about 2 1/2 she was running up to the characters and giving them a hug. Had we waited till she was 4, I don't think that would have happened.

WriteDisney
06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
:thumbsup: I think its a great idea! Have a great time and take lots of pictures!