PDA

View Full Version : Signing off now, surgery next week

murphy1
05-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm going to go ahead and stop posting for a bit, the thyroid surgery and next biopsy is next Thursday with preop w/surgeon and hospital Weds, parents are coming Tuesday and I'm finishing getting things done. My main focus is just to spend as much time as I can with the kids right now. Please two prayer requests or good thougths that this won't be as painful as it was before and that I don't have cancer (either papillary or lymphoma) or if it is, it's easy to be rid of. I'm trying to remember the big picture, I was kind of upset that instead of any vacation, our time and $$ is being spent on this, I know it's silly to be upset about a vacation instead of a health issue, but now I feel better about it.

kakn7294
05-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey Shari, I've been thinking about you alot recently. :pixie: for an easy surgery and recovery and good news after. You'll definately be in my thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks. :hug:

DisneyorBust
05-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Hope that everything goes well, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tinksalot
05-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Good luck and I'll pray for good news for you.
:fingers::pixie:

5 Mousekteers
05-29-2008, 11:57 AM
You and your family will be in our prayers. Sending you some :pixie: for a fast, healthy and pain free recovery.

Mickey'sGirl
05-29-2008, 12:00 PM
:hug: and :pixie: for you Shari! I will keep good thoughts for you! :mickey:

DizNee143
05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
goodluck!!!!!!!
and you will definetly be in all of thoughts and prayers!!!

Jeri Lynn
05-29-2008, 12:15 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you Shari!

sharimac
05-29-2008, 12:44 PM
I was just thinking about you this morning, I knew your surgery was coming up soon. I hope things go better than the last time.

I had my meeting with my surgeon yesterday. He said that my case was only the second case of thyroid cancer he has had in over a year and he said he does more thyroidectomies than anyone in the area. Lucky me. He wants to do the final surgery in about 3 weeks so you should be feeling better by the time that I go in.

I'll say a prayer for you, let us know how it goes.

SBETigg
05-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Shari, :hug:, sending all my very best wishes and positive vibes for it all to go well and be easy on you. I'll be thinking of you and eager to hear from you soon.

:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

wdwgrl377
05-29-2008, 01:24 PM
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I will be thinking about you when the procedure is performed and sending much prayer to you for a speedy recovery. All is going to be just fine!:hug:

Terra
05-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Prayers on the way!! :pixie:

merlinmagic4
05-29-2008, 03:31 PM
:pixie: :pixie: Please let us know how it goes. We'll be thinking of you.

mrsgaribaldi
05-29-2008, 05:39 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:and prayers on the way.

Jeff
05-29-2008, 05:46 PM
I will be praying all goes well for you Shari.

Momof2boys
05-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Shari - sending lots of healthy :pixie: to you !

bleukarma
05-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Shari, you and your family will be in my thoughts in prayers. I hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery!!
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:: pixie:

Flower
05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Thinking of you Shari!! :pixie:

PirateLover
05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
:hug: Hey Shari! You'll be healthy and we'll be discussing the new Project Runway season before you know it! You are always in my thoughts and prayers :pixie: :pixie:

Jasper
05-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Prayers and :pixie::pixie:.

I just had my thyroid out due to cancer and prior to that knew nothing about it. After being diagnosed I did a ton of research and found out that something like 98% of all thyroid cancers fall into one of the two most benign types and usually don't require anymore than having the thyroid taken out followed by normally only one dose of radiation that doesn't make you sick or your hair fall out. In fact, the worst part of the whole deal is how weak you will feel just before going on thyroid medicine because you have to get all of the thyroid hormone out of your system before they do the radiation.

Also, because both of the two most common types of thyroid cancer are very slow growing it is VERY unusual for it to have gotten into the lymph nodes. I was also surprised to find out that almost every human being alive develops knots in their thyroid at some point in their life and that most of those knots are non-cancerous. So that means that when you take the 98% rate being the simple kinds of cancer and even more knots not even being cancerous the odds are EXTREMELY good for both of you.

OK, I will get off my soapbox now but I thought you might like to hear from someone who has just gone through what you are going through! OH, and I also didn't think the surgery was that horrible either. But then again I have severe back problems and have gone through eight serious back surgeries and have another one scheduled for late June. So putting it all in perspective the throat surgery was not all that bad.

alphamommy
05-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Prayers and pixie dust on the way!!

:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

tinkerbellybutton
05-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Shari, I will say many prayers and you will be in my thoughts. Sending tons of pixie dust. :pixie: :pixie: I don't think it's silly to be upset about missing a vacation. Our emotional health is just as important as our physical health and anything that gives us peace of mind whether it be a vacation or something else it's important. I will also keep my fingers crossed that somehow you find a way to take that much needed vacation, you deserve it. Take care of yourself.

ElenitaB
06-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Shari, prayers and :pixie: on their way!

MsMin
06-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Sending prayers and :pixie: Shari take care of yourself and then when you are ready take a fantastic vacation! Right now you need to go kick thyroid attacking butt. I'll be thinking about you, take care :hug:

sharimac
06-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Just checking in to see how things went, Shari. Please give us an update when you are feeling up to it!

murphy1
06-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi EVERYONE! I'm so happy it's over! My dr and the nurses were wonderful. I had a bad reaction to one of my pain meds, I threw up, not fun with a very sore chest and throat, but it all is less painful than before. He ended up taking out the rest of my thyroid, the nodules and four lymph nodes, so they were sent off to the pathologist and my dr. said that one of them was really big. If it turns out to be cancer I will get a dose of radiation, but that's it!!! I also am happy b/c now that my thyroid is gone, I take my meds and I am basically no longer hypo or have the Hashimoto's Disease b/c there is nothing there to attack. I was even able to eat as long as the pain was under good control. I am on Vicodin for the next few days to week and have my follow up with surgeon on Weds and then my endocrinologist in about three weeks. I'm so glad this part is over, just one more hurdle and I will be even happier. My mom and dad have been a Godsend! Thanks for your prayers and thoughts. I had a Crucifix in my room (it's a religious hospital, accepts any religious belief) and a poster shaped like a big heart the girls made for me which both were really helpful (as was the Chaplain who prayed with me, I just wasn't nervous when I was going in) when I did have some bad pain, but I just need to rest now. God is good!!!
Shari, one of my nurses was named....Shari!! How are you?? I hope all is going well, just remember you will get through it! And not dragging on for ten years like I have!

Terra
06-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi EVERYONE! I'm so happy it's over! My dr and the nurses were wonderful. I had a bad reaction to one of my pain meds, I threw up, not fun with a very sore chest and throat, but it all is less painful than before. He ended up taking out the rest of my thyroid, the nodules and four lymph nodes, so they were sent off to the pathologist and my dr. said that one of them was really big. If it turns out to be cancer I will get a dose of radiation, but that's it!!! I also am happy b/c now that my thyroid is gone, I take my meds and I am basically no longer hypo or have the Hashimoto's Disease b/c there is nothing there to attack. I was even able to eat as long as the pain was under good control. I am on Vicodin for the next few days to week and have my follow up with surgeon on Weds and then my endocrinologist in about three weeks. I'm so glad this part is over, just one more hurdle and I will be even happier. My mom and dad have been a Godsend! Thanks for your prayers and thoughts. I had a Crucifix in my room (it's a religious hospital, accepts any religious belief) and a poster shaped like a big heart the girls made for me which both were really helpful (as was the Chaplain who prayed with me, I just wasn't nervous when I was going in) when I did have some bad pain, but I just need to rest now. God is good!!!
Shari, one of my nurses was named....Shari!! How are you?? I hope all is going well, just remember you will get through it! And not dragging on for ten years like I have!

I was wondering how everything went! My thoughts and prayers were with you!!
So glad everything turned out well!!!!!!

Sorry about the reaction to the meds...gosh you just never know about that!

Funny about the nurse!!!

pogo
06-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm glad the worst part is over for you, and you sound almost like the same old Shari..... oops... I didn't mean :old:

You have been in my thoughts and prayers dailey ! :D

azdisneymom
06-06-2008, 05:56 PM
:dance: Doing a happy dance for you! Glad surgery went well.

disneydeb
06-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks for sharing your good news. :thumbsup: I was wondering how you were.

sharimac
06-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm so glad everything went well for you, sounds like much better than last time. I can't believe your nurse's name was Shari, too. That's just weird.

I am having my surgery on 6/18. I have my follow up on 6/25 and that's when I'll get all the details on the radiation. The nurse told me I'll probably have to stay away from the kids for a couple of days but until they get the pathology results they don't know exactly what's involved.

I hope your recovery continues to go well, you must be so thankful it's over!

ElenitaB
06-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Shari, glad the surgery is over. :ack: after surgery is NEVER fun! But I take that back, :ack: is never fun but being post-op, adds just another layer of fun! ;)

Here's more prayers and :pixie: for a quick "negative" pathology report.

And ShariMac... here's a truckload of :pixie: for you too!

I'm thinking of both of you! :hug:

HndrdPrcnt
06-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Shari -

You have been in my thoughts and prayers and I am so happy that it is over and that you are doing well!!!

As you know, I have had my own struggle with cancer, so I know what you are going through. I am so thankful for all those who have been praying for me and who continue to pray for me and my family and I know the power of prayer!

Our God is an AWESOME God who is ALWAYS there for us!! He is FAITHFUL and JUST and He will NEVER leave us! Praise God for how he is watching over you and your family!

God Bless Shari!!

tinkerbellybutton
06-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Shari, I'm so glad to hear that everything went well. You've been in my thoughts. Sorry to hear about :ack: that is SO not what you want to do after surgery. Hope you're 100% soon.

azdisneymom
06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm so glad everything went well for you, sounds like much better than last time. I can't believe your nurse's name was Shari, too. That's just weird.

I am having my surgery on 6/18. I have my follow up on 6/25 and that's when I'll get all the details on the radiation. The nurse told me I'll probably have to stay away from the kids for a couple of days but until they get the pathology results they don't know exactly what's involved.

I hope your recovery continues to go well, you must be so thankful it's over!

Sharimac - To share a bit from my own experience. I, too, had to take radioactive Iodine after my total thyroidectomy. Iodine is readily absorbed by thyroid tissue and that is why it is used. Almost like guided missles. A day or two later I went for a full body scan. Not bad, I was more afraid of feeling claustrophobic but didn't. You are radioactive for a while and will have to stay away from your family for a few days. Tip - you can't cook so have all your meals served to you using only plastic. You don't wan't to risk washing your radioactive dishes with your childrens. Drink lots of water.

Please keep us posted on your progress. You will be in my thoughts. You can PM me if you would like to ask any questions. I am more than happy to share.

daparish
06-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Shari - I am so glad it is over and you are feeling better. You will be in my prayers for a complete healing.

Sharimac - I will be remembering you in my prayers as well. As Shari said, God is good!!!!

murphy1
06-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Yay, My surgeon called with my final report, no cancer!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy!! My mom and I just started crying. Thanks again for all your prayers and thoughts. I'm also on Motrin now and weaning off the Vicodin, so getting back to normal (some of you might say was I ever, haha). He told me there were in the end 9 lymph nodes, too. But am done worrying about this whole thing from now on. Shari, if I had radiation this time, I was going to probably just go where I could be to myself, I was scared to be around the kids with it and you can't be, but they didn't give me any last time. Good luck to you and much love and prayers.

kakn7294
06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Shari, I missed your previous update but I'm glad to hear that things went better than you expected! I'm thrilled to hear that there was no cancer - I can't even imagine the relief you must have felt. I have been thinking about you alot. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers for a quick and easy recovery.

Sharimac, I hope things go well for you too. I'll be thinking of you - please keep us updated! Hopefully, you'll get good news this time around too!

mickey&missy
06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Shari, I just saw your post. I'm so glad everything went well and you don't have cancer! Lots of prayers and postitive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

azdisneymom
06-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Yay, My surgeon called with my final report, no cancer!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy!!

PTL! :yay:

Flower
06-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Shari - what great news!!!! I am so glad to hear the surgery went fairly well, but ecstatic to learn their is NO cancer!!!! Congratulations!!! Here's to a speedy recovery!!!:pixie:

Sharimac - good luck with your surgery and sending :pixie: your way!

SBETigg
06-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Great news, Shari! I got a little misty for you, too. That's fantastic! I'm so glad you don't have to worry about it any more. :hug:

sharimac
06-11-2008, 02:05 PM
That's great news, Shari. I'm very happy for you!!

sharimac
06-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi all,

I had my second surgery on Wednesday and everything went well. My surgery was at 7:30 and I checked out of the hospital by 11:00 a.m., it went very smoothly. The pain is actually a little less than last time, I'm wondering if it's because there is no thyroid left to feel any pain in. I have an appointment with my endocrinologist next Weds. to discuss the radiation treatment. I'm eager to find out what that involves. I'm glad the surgery is behind me now and I can't wait to get my medication regulated so I'm not tired. I can't seem to stay awake for more than an hour at a time right now.

tinkerbellybutton
06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Yay, My surgeon called with my final report, no cancer!!!!!!!!!!
:yay: :hug:

tinkerbellybutton
06-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi all,

I had my second surgery on Wednesday and everything went well. My surgery was at 7:30 and I checked out of the hospital by 11:00 a.m., it went very smoothly. The pain is actually a little less than last time, I'm wondering if it's because there is no thyroid left to feel any pain in. I have an appointment with my endocrinologist next Weds. to discuss the radiation treatment. I'm eager to find out what that involves. I'm glad the surgery is behind me now and I can't wait to get my medication regulated so I'm not tired. I can't seem to stay awake for more than an hour at a time right now.

I'm still keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as well. :pixie:

sharimac
06-25-2008, 06:01 PM
I had my follow-up appointment today. The good news is that they didn't find any more cancer, just the original 2 spots on the right side. I have to spend the next 5 weeks getting the synthroid out of my system, then I'll have the radioactive iodine pill and the scans done. I don't need to be quarantined which is good news. It's a very small dose so I just need to keep my distance from my family, use paper/plastic plates, etc. for 4 days. This definitely won't be the best summer I ever had, I'm just looking forward to getting it over and done with.

SBETigg
06-25-2008, 08:44 PM
ShariMac, you're in my thoughts. I hope it goes well and that you'll be feeling better and bouncing back soon. :pixie: