PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with August sun

mouseketeer mom
05-29-2008, 06:20 AM
I am worried about the August sun in WDW. How do others protect themselves? I am planning on a high SPF, which I hate to use, I hate the way it feels on my skin. Does anyone have any ideas where to find a cute, but functional hat? Or any other helpful tips? I'm blonde and burn easily. My husband keeps scaring me about the heat and sun. I feel like I'm going to be toast!

SBETigg
05-29-2008, 07:22 AM
You're really going to need the sun protection, reapplied frequently. It's pretty brutal that time of year. I would recommend getting a lot done in the early morning hours, getting out of the sun at peak afternoon times, and making the most of evening hours.

Also, when we were in the parks, we made sure we visited air-conditioned attractions often to stay cool. Going on water rides didn't help much because the clothes stayed wet afterwards. The heat didn't help dry us due to the humidity, so we would just be sticky-uncomfortable until returning to our room to change.

The misting fans really do help. Staying hydrated by drinking lots of water helped. I've also seen cooling neck cloths that a lot of people swear by, but we didn't try them. I'm blond and fair, too, and I needed to wear a hat and sunglasses for sun protection. Not cute, but the standard ball cap style worked best for me. It's so hot that ideas of staying cute flew out the window in favor of function. I wish I could have stayed cute and cool, but I couldn't pull it off. :)

Also, there's a tendency for quick midday storms to come on. Disposable rain ponchos, like the kind you can get at Wal*Mart for under a dollar each, are great because you can fit them in a pocket and just dispose of them after use.

Tinksalot
05-29-2008, 08:25 AM
A baseball hat or visor is a good idea! It not only keeps the sun off your face, it will also keep you from squinting which can cause a headache. (I know from experience)
We also go into the shops to cool down or stop and get something cool to drink. Its also important to keep yourself hydrated as well. Good luck and have a great time. :mickey:

kakn7294
05-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Walmart has some Disney hats - I recommend any hat that is light-colored and as lightweight of a fabric as you can find - they are much less hot to wear than darker, heavier fabrics. I prefer a full hat over a visor because the top of my head burns where I have a part between my bangs and the rest of my hair. I also spray mine lightly with Scotchguard to make it more water-resistant - just be careful to not spray the inside or where it will touch the skin.

I like Clinique's City Block sunblock for my face and part and will sometimes use it on my arms as well. It's oil-free, it's not greasy, and it's fragrance-free. The SPF of 25 is strong enough for me (and I burn easily) but it also comes in a 40. I'm sure there are some other great ones out there too but this works well for me so it's worth the expense. We went the second week of August last year and I never burned the whole trip and I generally only applied it once a day, especially on my face.

We try to cut through the shops in order to take advantage of the A/C and we time indoor attractions for the hottest part of the day. The only problem I had last year was on our first day when I felt a little sick in the early afternoon - I attributed it to the fact that we were up so early, I drank a very large McDonald's coffee in the airport, then didn't drink much after, and it was hot. I was fine after some rest in the A/C (Tiki Room) and a frozen Raspberry Lemonade. I'm sure you'll be fine if you keep hydrated, avoid large amounts of caffeine (dehydrating), and utilize the A/C periodically to cool off.

RALPH
05-29-2008, 06:14 PM
"You're really going to need the sun protection, reapplied frequently. It's pretty brutal that time of year. I would recommend getting a lot done in the early morning hours, getting out of the sun at peak afternoon times, and making the most of evening hours"

Thats exactly what we do! Well put.

TheRustyScupper
05-29-2008, 07:37 PM
August Sun Advice:

1) Sun block
2) Light colored clothing
3) More sun block
4) Big Panama Hat with a Purple Hat Band
5) Drink lots and lots and lots of water
6) Wet cloth or air breather around neck

mouseketeer mom
05-29-2008, 07:48 PM
August Sun Advice:

1) Sun block
2) Light colored clothing
3) More sun block
4) Big Panama Hat with a Purple Hat Band
5) Drink lots and lots and lots of water
6) Wet cloth or air breather around neck

Whats the Big Panama Hat with a purple Hat band? My husband would probably fall over if I come parading out in that, but no kidding, I know I have to wear something. I am really sun sensitive and really, really, don't want to get burned.
Also, whats an air breather?

Lynn J Mc
05-30-2008, 03:12 PM
When we were there in May 07 they had some cute Mickey ball caps that were white with Mickey done in sequins. I hope they still have them this year as I wore mine until it was filthy when I got home. We have a pool and the GA sun can be brutal too. Make sure you wear a hat as your scalp can burn. Have you tried the spray sunscreens? They don't feel as yucky. I really like Neutrogena and Baby Faces. Have fun. Make sure you don't miss any spots. I am very fair and had a shirt one year that kept slipping down my shoulder and it cooked!

illini
05-30-2008, 08:19 PM
You need a *good* sunscreen that protects from UVA and UVB AND that doesn't break down (parasol does, along with others). Blue Lizard is the most recommended and gives great protection, but at a high price. We discovered that the No-Ad SPF 45 was virtually the same ingredients and it's CHEAP. Depending on how many people you have, CHEAP can be really important-- on vacation, one bottle only lasts us about a day and a half for 5 people. It's imperative that you put on enough sunscreen. Most people skimp, and that's why you see sunburns on people wearing SPF. The No-Ad doesn't feel yucky to me... once it's on, I don't notice it at all.
For your face, use a real face sunscreen and not something in a facial lotion-- those break down quickly and aren't meant for heavy exposure. We use a No-Ad faces sunblock.

I suspect that the Skin Cancer Foundation has a lot of good info on sunblock, so that's worth a peek.

Otherwise, wear a hat with a wide brim. Baseball caps are fine *if* you have long hair that's down in the back. If not, get a hat with a brim all the way around. That's best anyway, to make sure your ears are protected.

Sorry, I'll step off my soapbox now. I just get a little freaky about sunscreen (and we're all really dark complected-- DH is Mexican, even!!!).

mouseketeer mom
05-30-2008, 09:21 PM
You need a *good* sunscreen that protects from UVA and UVB AND that doesn't break down (parasol does, along with others). Blue Lizard is the most recommended and gives great protection, but at a high price. We discovered that the No-Ad SPF 45 was virtually the same ingredients and it's CHEAP. Depending on how many people you have, CHEAP can be really important-- on vacation, one bottle only lasts us about a day and a half for 5 people. It's imperative that you put on enough sunscreen. Most people skimp, and that's why you see sunburns on people wearing SPF. The No-Ad doesn't feel yucky to me... once it's on, I don't notice it at all.
For your face, use a real face sunscreen and not something in a facial lotion-- those break down quickly and aren't meant for heavy exposure. We use a No-Ad faces sunblock.

I suspect that the Skin Cancer Foundation has a lot of good info on sunblock, so that's worth a peek.

Otherwise, wear a hat with a wide brim. Baseball caps are fine *if* you have long hair that's down in the back. If not, get a hat with a brim all the way around. That's best anyway, to make sure your ears are protected.

Sorry, I'll step off my soapbox now. I just get a little freaky about sunscreen (and we're all really dark complected-- DH is Mexican, even!!!).

No problem with your soapbox!! I get freaky too! I am really fair, burn always..my sister takes after my Dad, olive skin, dark hair and eyes..so different from me,and she was treated for an invasive skin cancer this past year on her scalp. She needed radiation therapy from Sloan Kettering, so now I'm even more afraid then ever. So, I love the advice. I'm wondering if I can find a special hat that actually protects from the sun, like that has an SPF in it. Hmm..

KylesMom
05-30-2008, 09:52 PM
You've gotten some great advice from this thread. I, too, am a blonde who burns easily, and I absolutely cannot stand heavy sunblock on my face. You may want to go to your nearest Ulta store & see what they recommend to keep the moisture down but provide the highest SPF on your face, for starters. No matter what type of hat, the sun always seems to hit my nose. :)

Honestly, it WILL be exceptionally hot & humid from the time you leave the room in the morning until you go to bed. The keys are to keep hydrated, cool down by any means possible and know your limits. Most of the time we hit the parks early, go back to our resort during the heat of the day, and return to either a park or one of our favorite resorts for an ADR as the sun is setting just so that we're "safe". And keep the sunblock handy! We apply every two hours or so, especially if you're hitting the water rides or going under the misters! :mickey:

PS - DS has incredibly sensitive skin, and the NO-AD 45 blue made him break out like crazy. Don't know if you have anyone in your family with this type of skin, but I've found that bringing exfoliating gloves for the shower/bath erases any trace of the heavy sunblock you've had to use throughout the day.

I am certain (due to family history) that you should be able to find a hat that totally can block the damaging rays. One last thing - we tried the "neck coolers" but they started leaking some type of chemical before we even used them, and I threw them in the garbage. Instead, each of us carries a bandana tied around a belt loop, and when we need to we soak in cold water and put on our pressure points for a quick cool down.

TheRustyScupper
05-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Whats the Big Panama Hat with a purple Hat band?

PINK SHOELACES
(Mark Grant)
Dodie Stevens - 1959
Also recorded by: The Chordettes

Now I got a guy and his name is Dooley
He's my guy and I love him truly!
He's not good lookin', heaven knows!
But I'm wild about his crazy clothes!

He wears tan shoes with pink shoelaces
A polka-dot vest, and man, oh man!
He wears tan shoes with pink shoelaces,
And a big panama with a purple hat band!

He takes me deep sea diving in a submarine!
We go to drive in moves in a limousine!
He's got a whirly birdy and a twelve foot yacht!
Ah, but that's a-not all he's got...

He's got tan shoes with pink shoelaces
He's got tan shoes with pink shoelaces,

Now Dooley had a feelin' we were goin' to war
So he went out and enlisted in a fightin corps!
But he landed in the brig for raisin' such a storm
When they tried to put him in a uniform!

He wanted tan shoes with pink shoelaces
He wanted tan shoes with pink shoelaces,

How one day Dooley started feelin' sick,
So he figured that he ought to make his will out quick!
He said, "Just before the angels come to carry me,
I want it down and right in how to burry me!"

A-wearin tan shoes with pink shoelaces
Give me tan shoes with pink shoelaces,

mouseketeer mom
05-31-2008, 08:37 AM
PINK SHOELACES
(Mark Grant)
Dodie Stevens - 1959
Also recorded by: The Chordettes

Now I got a guy and his name is Dooley
He's my guy and I love him truly!
He's not good lookin', heaven knows!
But I'm wild about his crazy clothes!

He wears tan shoes with pink shoelaces
He wears tan shoes with pink shoelaces,

He takes me deep sea diving in a submarine!
We go to drive in moves in a limousine!
He's got a whirly birdy and a twelve foot yacht!
Ah, but that's a-not all he's got...

He's got tan shoes with pink shoelaces
He's got tan shoes with pink shoelaces,

Now Dooley had a feelin' we were goin' to war
So he went out and enlisted in a fightin corps!
But he landed in the brig for raisin' such a storm
When they tried to put him in a uniform!

He wanted tan shoes with pink shoelaces
He wanted tan shoes with pink shoelaces,

How one day Dooley started feelin' sick,
So he figured that he ought to make his will out quick!
He said, "Just before the angels come to carry me,
I want it down and right in how to burry me!"

A-wearin tan shoes with pink shoelaces
Give me tan shoes with pink shoelaces,

Love it!!

mrsgaribaldi
05-31-2008, 09:14 AM
We used the neck coolers and they really worked. I forget the brand but I bought them in Walmart for very little. They stayed cool a long, long time.:mickey:

ILoveLegos
05-31-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm not blonde but I do suffer from a chronic form of Lupus, which makes me extremely sun sensitive - all year round. I wear long sleeve shirts, pants and full brim hats anytime I have to be out in the sun, or I'll suffer for days internally and externally after too much sun exposure. I mainly use a popular sun screening clothing line (found in their mail-order catalog), but I also use detergents that add sun screen ability to fabrics. I use an SPF of 45, reapply regularly and I avoid 10 am to 2 pm direct sun exposure - in Disney that means concentrating on indoor activities at those times. BTW the catalog clothes are usely nylon, tight weave with "cooling systems" built in so you can exercise in them, but I do usually find them hot and they don't breathe as well as regular cotton summer clothes, so while wearing them I have to be really careful about overheating, so that's another reason why I love the indoor airconditioned activities at Disney. I even swim outside a lot and snorkel but I have to wear a fully covered bathing suit - looks alot like the rash guard suits that surfers wear or pajamas (depending on your outlook of it). So there are really a lot of options for sun protection, you probably will not have to go to the extremes that I do to avoid sun burns - but I hope some of this info helps!

Young@Heart
05-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Light-colored clothes, cotton that can breath (stay away from denim!), sunscreen applied regularly (we've found waiting in line is a great time for this), staying hydrated w/ lots of water, and escaping from the sun (either in A/C or shade) as often as possible! :thumbsup: