PDA

View Full Version : January weather

thejanester4
05-28-2008, 10:45 PM
OK help! my friends and i are planning a trip to WDW and we are trying to figure out when we want to go. Right now January is looking like a definite possibility but we are worried about weather. Has anyone gone in Jan? is it worth it or should we look into different dates?

thanks!!:thumbsup:

disneydd
05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
My family and I were just there thrugh the New Year, and it was decievingly warm in the begining..... then came the cold, it dropped considerably. Making it even worse I made the mistake of thinking it would be warm - especially coming from Philly. I caught a cold and in the majority of our pics I am wearing the ONE sweatshirt that I brought. I dont think I will be returning in January any time soon! Also keep in mind that it is really crowded till the kids are back in school!

Im sure people love to vacation during this time, but not me! I like to get away from the cold when going on Vacation!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
05-28-2008, 11:10 PM
We've gone twice in January. Both times, the weather ranged between the high 60s to low 70s with some of the days in the eighties.
The nights were cooler, dipping into the high 50s.

- Clothing: light sweaters and pullovers were a must for the nights. We brought along rain jackets and umbrellas, but never used them. We had both shorts and pants, as well as both short and long-sleeved tops. Most of the days were warm enough to swim (the pools are heated), so swimsuits are also a good idea.
Previously, people on the boards have said they brought along and used winter jackets. I suppose that it depends upon what type of weather you're accustomed to and if it's a particularly cold winter.

- Crowds: generally low, especially during the week. The weekends can get a little crowded starting around noon and onwards. This is true if the Christmas decorations are still up. We were told that decorations are taken down by the end of the first week of January, but they were there until the end of both our trips.
- You will miss some of the Holiday shows and parades.
- The 2009 Disney marathon is the 8th - 11th.
- Pirates & Princesses events don't usually start until February.
- It's value season, so resort rates are at their lowest. This sometimes prompts good last-minute discounts and deals.

I only have 2 downsides that were really not an issue for us (we LOVE the low crowds and cooler weather of January):

- It being the "slow" season, some rides, attractions and restaurants will be closed for refurbishment. Also, some resorts may close areas to refurbish (pools, lobbies). Check the boards to see what's closing.
- If you're flying from/to a snow-prone area, you might experience flight delays. We did on both trips going home, but it was minor.

Strmchsr
05-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Click here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/weather/dailytemps.asp) to go to Info Central and you can see the exact weather data for the last 5 years. That should give you a good sample as to what to expect.

Disnamic Duo
05-29-2008, 09:15 AM
We've been in Jan twice (both times the last week of Jan), and both times the weather has been GREAT. Jan 2007, there were a couple days that were a little chilly (needed a sweatshirt in morning and evening). This past Jan, the night we arrived and the following morning were chilly, but then it was in the mid to high 70's the rest of the week. I would have actually preferred it was a little cooler.

We think it's the best time to visit WDW.

Tinksmom
05-29-2008, 09:29 AM
I've been twice in January and LOVED it! The crowd levels are great. One year we had 3 days in shorts and 3 days in pants. You'll need a jacket at night. The main thing is to start checking the weather forecast about 2 weeks out. The weather varies a lot this time of year, but if you bring a variety of layers it will pay off big time in the low wait times!
Have a great trip!!!!

Hayden's Dad
05-29-2008, 09:46 AM
How does the marathon affect the crowds? We are thinking about going around the 10th of January.

diz_girl
05-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Our last trip was late January into early February and I had no problem at all with the weather. The beginning of the week was cold and we needed coats, gloves and hats at night, but by the end of the week it was warm and close to 80.

A big plus about January is that even when it gets warm, it doesn't get too hot. January sure beats June when June temperatures are in the nineties or above with high humidity. January, on the other hand, is at the worst cold at night and comfortable during the day.

Just be prepared to be dressed for anything.

Strmchsr
05-29-2008, 02:15 PM
How does the marathon affect the crowds? We are thinking about going around the 10th of January.

In the past it's generally not too big of a deal, but this past year I heard from some that the marathon weekend was pretty crowded. Got much better after the weekend, though.

DizNee143
05-29-2008, 04:12 PM
i LOVE going to disney in January..its a great time to go..
just learn to pack for all types of weather..
there was one year i went and i wore a sweatshirt the whole time..then there was another time we lucked out on and it was pretty much 75 everyday!!
its just so nice to go in jan...waaaaaaay less crowds..i rather have to walk aroudn the park in a sweatshirt then sweating like crazy in hot humid florida weather!
you will not be dissappointed if you go in jan!!
but whatever you decide hope you have a blast!!! :mickey:

PetefromRI
05-29-2008, 09:36 PM
We will never go in Jan. or Feb. again.The weather is just too iffy.It could be anywhere from 50-80 in the day and 30-60 at night.We need more heat that time of year comming from New England so I think that we'll be heading further south for our winter vacations.

gmgdisneymom
05-31-2008, 02:01 PM
We went in January this year right after the Marathon - the crowds were non-existent, we could get ressies at our fav places and the animals were more active at Ak and AKL

It was a little chilly, you always have to have sweaters or sweatshirts and one day we have three layers

The other downside is NFL playoffs. My DH and DS9 are big Giants fans (me and my DD6 are Steeler fans so it did not affect us this year) Depending on what network has the games - you may only be able to watch them at ESPN.

If you are not a football fan then I see no reason not to go

Good Luck

Disneyfun
06-01-2008, 10:57 PM
My last trip was end of Jan/beginning of Feb 2008. Although the weather is great, we encountered larger than expected due to Mardi Gras being so early this year. Families that are from New Orleans told us that as soon as Mardi Gras begins, they bug out and go to WDW for a more family friendly environment.

kellykaypa
06-02-2008, 02:49 PM
:mickey:

If your a football fan, should be a great time to go! Super Bowl is in Tampa Feb 1st!

Trippin 1-24-08 to 2-1-09.

Airfare PAID!!!!!

azdisneymom
06-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Dd and I went in Jan. '08. My advice - keep an eye on the weather forcasts. Pack accordingly. We got there just as a cold front moved in with record cold. :freeze: The weeks before and after temps were in the 80s. Go figure.

DawsonAR
06-02-2008, 07:29 PM
We were there this January and it was really, really cold for our first two days and the last two days, we could have worn shorts. It was great. No rain and a good variety of temps.

irish1967
06-02-2008, 08:58 PM
I was there for 6 days spanning marathon weekend last January.

I really can't comment on crowds because it was my first January visit - but we did wait in line for attractions and were glad that we had ADRs for the restaurants, especially over the weekend.

As far as weather is concerned, this is how I dressed...

First 3 days (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) - shorts and t-shirts during the day. We went back at the resort early on Friday (due to 3:00 a.m. wake up for the 1/2 marathon) but on Saturday evening, it was cool enough for pants and a long sleeved shirt.

Second 2 days (Sunday and Monday) I wore shorts and t-shirts but carried a sweatshirt that was worn off and on throughout the day.

Last day (Tuesday) I wore jeans and a sweatshirt - definitely much colder that day than the others.

So, expect a little bit of everything and you will be fine.

alicia524luvstw
06-04-2008, 09:29 AM
We were there dec 28 thru jan 6 this year and it was way too cold. Disney was selling hats, scarves and mittens @ every store and stand. But, I heard it hadn't been that cold in years. Still had a great time though.

mrsgaribaldi
06-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Jan 2007 the first 2 days were really warm, 80s, nice for swimming. Then it got cold, real cold. My niece had to borrow sweaters from me, that cold. But I love January in Disney:thumbsup: