PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours 2 coming soon?

PirateLover
05-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I did not see this posted anywhere else.
In an article about the GCI effects for the latest Indiana Jones film on CNET, Hayden Landis, who was the computer graphics supervisor on the latest Indy film was interviewed. The very last paragraph of the article states:
Next up for Landis is another nostalgia-oriented project--a redo of the Star Tours ride at Disneyland.One would imagine that if they re-did Disneyland's version, the others would see an update as well. Anyone have additional info on this?

JPL
05-28-2008, 10:14 PM
It is definately in the works and some audio has been recorded according to Anthony Daniels AKA C3PO. The original rumorssaid sometime after Lucas was finished with Indy and the launch of the New Star Wars TV project he would focus his energy on Star Tours 2.0

GrumpyFan
05-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Last year there was rumored to be some new simulator testing at Epcot in the Body Wars attraction, supposedly it was for Star Tours 2.0.

2Epcot
05-29-2008, 12:09 AM
All sounds good to me ... I'd love to see this attraction finally updated. :mickey:

Ian
05-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Honestly, I find it really hard to believe that Disney is going to waste time and money on a new version of this ride.

Simulators are so out of fashion now as far as theme parks go. I'd really hope that they would just scrap the entire concept and do something for Star Wars that's on a much more grander and up-to-date scale.

Frankly, if they just come out with some new film for the ride and don't change anything else, I probably won't even bother with it. I haven't ridden Star Tours in years.

JPL
05-29-2008, 08:34 AM
They are suppose to update the motion base as well as add Disney 3D to the mix according to a few sources. Not sure if and of the other grand scale are true like interactive walking animatronics in the Queue. I would love to see it expanded to an entire experience with Star Tours being the first part of the journey. You would experience the ride and then move into a dark ride or other type of attraction that continued the experience.

lockedoutlogic
05-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Honestly, I find it really hard to believe that Disney is going to waste time and money on a new version of this ride.

Simulators are so out of fashion now as far as theme parks go. I'd really hope that they would just scrap the entire concept and do something for Star Wars that's on a much more grander and up-to-date scale.

Frankly, if they just come out with some new film for the ride and don't change anything else, I probably won't even bother with it. I haven't ridden Star Tours in years.

Agree 1000% on this one....

It is insulting to me that not only has that abomination been there for 20 years....that they are now bothering to do anything with it "new"....

An absolutely horrible piece of equipment.....and they just can't let it go because it is kid friendly.....

This part of my entire issue with DHS.....if they had bothered to make it a park....especially after they shutdown the animation and production facilities almost 10 years ago....then this wouln't be an issue....

but they continue to lack a day's worth of entertainment....so they hold on to these antiquated and uninteresting rides and shows....

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

see what they've done...i've gone pirate on them:pirate:

Clay Ransone
05-29-2008, 11:16 AM
This part of my entire issue with DHS.....if they had bothered to make it a park....especially after they shutdown the animation and production facilities almost 10 years ago....then this wouln't be an issue....

but they continue to lack a day's worth of entertainment....so they hold on to these antiquated and uninteresting rides and shows....

I don't get it. I love MGM and have always managed to spend a full day there. Even wtih a full day I miss stuff. I love Star Tours and look forward to any type of update to it.

AwPhooey
05-29-2008, 11:38 AM

:ditto:
I have to agree with lockedoutlogic on DHS. It doesn't take long to do RnRC, ToT, TGMR, VotLM and Muppets. I might also hit Fantasmic depending on how long I'd need to wait around in the park before the show starts. I don't know how long TSM takes, but it can't be *that* long.

To me, Beauty and the Beast Live and Lights, Motors, Action! aren't repeat shows, so it's once and done for me. In twenty years I've probably been to Indiana Jones and Star Tours three times combined.

It was a great park when it was a real studio with the full backlot tour and animators working there... Now? Not so much :bored:

Marceline
05-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Well I for one am good with any sort of Star Tours update and (hopefully) expansion.

I agree that simulators are antiquated.....not to mention a bit nauseating:sick:...BUT...it's STAR WARS, so it makes me very happy anyhow.

lockedoutlogic
05-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Well I for one am good with any sort of Star Tours update and (hopefully) expansion.

I agree that simulators are antiquated.....not to mention a bit nauseating:sick:...BUT...it's STAR WARS, so it makes me very happy anyhow.

that's exactly why it makes me angry....

It's star wars....and that's all they can muster?

Seriously....Lucas and Disney need to just tone back their own egos a little and just agree that they can build a wonderful little area to the park.....

the cantina restaurant.....a REAL attraction for star wars....and maybe more.....

Star Tours is terrible....not only that....but they put it in other parks as well....

it is terrible and it is a cattle drive....meant only to gobble up time...increase appetites for food and merchandise....and just move numbers through....

that's it

JPL
05-29-2008, 01:05 PM
In defense of the ride, 20 years ago when it opened it was state of the art cutting edge technology for a Theme Park attraction.
It was suppose to be updated sooner but Eisner created a rift with Lucas along with many other top creative people. That being said I agree it really needs be completely redone and even expanded in the future hopefully the Rumors about Lucasland coming to that area are true and they will be expand the Star Warrs and Indiana Jones themes.

PirateLover
05-29-2008, 06:32 PM
:shrug: I still ride once each vacation. The line is usually short, I like the queue, and I think it's cute. That being said do I think that it has been outdated for quite some time... yes of course. But I would be happy with a nice update. I would also love to see a cantina!

Crow
05-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Yes i want an update
i do still visit it when im there.
Indy i dont see every trip
I would go to these though before Lights Motor stunts thingie
I go on GMR & Muppets each visit, along w TOT, RnR, & 1 Mans Dream. and Fantasmic
its not a full day for me though.

2Epcot
05-29-2008, 09:51 PM

I would also like to see a whole new more "high-tech" Star Tours attraction, but I would certainly be happy with an update to the current Star Tours. I don't ride it as often as I used to, but I still enjoy it when I do.

The cost to produce a new film and do some upgrades to the current Star Tours won't cost nearly as much a creating a brand new attraction, but will certainly bring new life to old Star Tours just as Nemo did to the old subs at Disneyland. :trooper:

MegaDisney
05-29-2008, 11:40 PM
I would love to see it expanded to an ebtire experience with Star Tours being the first part of the journey. You would experience the ride and then move into a dark ride or other type of attraction that continued the experience.

I like this idea. The whole concept of Star Tours is a Space Port, why not have guests exit the vehicle at their "Destination" to complete the Space Travel storyline.

lockedoutlogic
05-30-2008, 02:17 PM
I like this idea. The whole concept of Star Tours is a Space Port, why not have guests exit the vehicle at their "Destination" to complete the Space Travel storyline.

I actually like this idea a little bit as well....

if they have to keep star tours from a numbers standpoint.....to expand backwards into the cast lot behind it and build a more interesting theme area is a good way of compromising.....

hence we would have the Lucasland that is beginning to get as much time on the rumor mill as "beastly Kingdom" and "fire mountain"

the problem is not one of money or space.....that can be managed.....

it is that imagineering has been infiltrated by more egomaniac "creative thinkers" who have replaced the old guard of "creative builders"

i'm just speaking from impressions....but after reading everything i can get my hands on about how things are made in Disney's parks and the ideas that went into them....
It seems as though the old guard was more interested into getting things built....while the new brains seem more interested in idea and character development....

Watch an interview with Marty Sklar....then one with Joe Rhode......there is a difference that you can't quite put your fingers on....

and on boards such as this.....those that know and have even worked in imagineering have indicated how the culture has changed....

so back to star tours and lucas properties....here's where it becomes a problem.....george lucas is the biggest creative control freak in hollywood since alfred hitchcock.....he's legendary...moody...a perfectionist....and incredibly picky....

so if you have imagineers that sport hefty creative egos....and lucas.....who has practically invented the term....

how do you ever get anything done?....

that is why we look at the stunt spectacular....star tours....and some cheeky giftshops.....

when two mountains collide....no movement is achieved....

i really believe star tours is still there because they haven't been able to agree on anything.....eisner was apparently high on Lucas's blacklist.....as he was on Steve Jobs's....

that....and the new star wars movies probably caused lucas to delay any themepark projects....hoping to perhaps use that material and continue to expand his merchandising empire.....

the problem is that those movies have no lasting appeal.....they made nice box office money.....but now they're done....

as a lifelong star wars fan....i know that when anything reminds me of star wars......it isn't coming from any of those three movies....

the point is that i think star tours was originally installed with "state of the art motion simulator techonology"....which was pretty much a miss from day 1....

and it has stayed because they have two creative forces to satisfy....and two big ones at that.....who have no obligation to yield to one another....

and since nobody can get the other to commit to anything...

Disney's flagship resort has a lame stunt show and a lame simulator based on Lucas properties.....while the others have rollercoasters and E-type rides....

Happy Friday

Imagineer1981
06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
They are suppose to update the motion base as well as add Disney 3D to the mix according to a few sources. Not sure if and of the other grand scale are ture like interactive walking animatronics in the Queue. I would love to see it expanded to an ebtire experience with Star Tours being the first part of the journey. You would experience the ride and then move into a dark ride or other type of attraction that continued the experience.

I agree a complete overhall it needed

JPL
06-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Here is the Interview with Hayden Landis from cnet.com and it lists the Star tour redo as his next project

'Indiana Jones' graphics meant to go unnoticed (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9951772-7.html)

DisneyOtaku
06-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Yes, simulator rides might not be the most exciting things nowadays, but I personally love the SW ride at Studios. It's also good to have something that can work as an in-between for people who want something a little less thrilling that ToT or RnR. It's a ride I try to hit multiple times whenever I visit.

As for this new film, I am going to be very very sad if it's a podrace film. Podracing does not equal the excitment of seeing the Death Star blow up, I'm sorry.

tinkerbellybutton
06-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Yes, simulator rides might not be the most exciting things nowadays, but I personally love the SW ride at Studios. It's also good to have something that can work as an in-between for people who want something a little less thrilling that ToT or RnR. It's a ride I try to hit multiple times whenever I visit.

As for this new film, I am going to be very very sad if it's a podrace film. Podracing does not equal the excitment of seeing the Death Star blow up, I'm sorry.

I agree completely. We all love it (the ENTIRE family) which is something that I can't say for many rides at WDW.

brownie
06-03-2008, 09:45 AM
We like Star Tours, and I wouldn't mind if they just left it as it is.

Stickey
06-03-2008, 01:00 PM
We still like Star Tours, and ride it on every trip. However, it is time for an upgrade.

Perhaps Mr. Lucas will apply his creative talents toward this project. The emphasis should remain on the original Star Wars movies.
:darth::trooper::chewy::yoda: