PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews - May 15-23, 2008

dolphinmickey9170
05-28-2008, 07:00 PM
I am going to give some reviews of our dining plans from this past trip. I have posted the trip reports, but wanted to elaborate a bit on the menus.

We had excellent service at every meal, not one single complaint! Okay, only one, but it isn't a major one so it doesn't count. So, here goes...........

California Grill - Contemporary Resort - 930pm - Three orders of the filet, with the crushed potatoes. Two filets were medium with the teriyaki sauce and the third was medium-well with no sauce. They were very accomodating in making substitutions for some picky palettes, but it was well worth the asking. The beef was very tender and flavorful. The potatoes were not a creamy whipped, but small chunks that were delicious. We were dining with friends who ordered appetizers, flatbread and sushi. We talked while they enjoyed their apps. and our server made sure to deliver our meals AFTER Wishes, this way they wouldn't get cold while we were mesmerized with the view from atop the Contemporary. It is such a fabulous view from up there. Even if you don't wish to eat that late, you will be allowed to return and watch the show by just showing your receipt from that same day. For dessert, there was one Banana and Butterscotch Buzz - Caramelized Bananas and Butterscotch Custard Stack with Caramel Sauce, Cocoa Nib and crunchy Plantain. And there was a Valrhona Chocolate and Coffee - Warm Chocolate Cake with Molten Center, House-made White Coffee Ice Cream and Cappuccino Anglaise. Everything was prepared to perfection and the service was superb. None of us ordered drinks, but our water glasses never saw 1/2 empty. They were continually being filled. This is definitely a fabulous experience.

O'Hana - Polynesian Resort - dinner - This is probably my FAVORITE all-you-can-eat meal. The food is fabulous, the atmosphere is wonderful. You are made to feel right at home immediately and anything you need, it's brought right away. The selections are

'Ohana Welcome Bread
Mixed greens with a honey-lime dressing
Pork Dumplings in Sweet n Sour Sauce
Honey-coriander chicken wings
A Lo Mein type noodle
Stir-fried vegetables
Peanut Sauce

Chimichurri Sauce
Sweet and Sour Sauce
Skewers Prepared over an oak fire
Asian Barbecue Pork Loin

Spicy Grilled Peel - n - Eat Shrimp
Marinated Sirloin Steak
Mesquite Grilled Turkey
Dessert

'Ohana bread pudding a la mode with Bananas Foster Sauce

If you leave this meal hungry, you are crazy. They do not rush you out so take your time and enjoy every last bite. We also ordered adult beverages. One Lapu Lapu, two Pina Colavas and some green Treasure drink. They were all very tasty. We also had a bowl of mac and cheese for the baby, which is the same mac and cheese served almost everywhere.

Crystal Palace - MK - breakfast - This is a character breakfast with Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore. This is a really fun spot for a great meal. There is something for everyone, even the pickiest of eaters. The choices were endless, but there were cereals, eggs, meats, mickey waffles, pastries, biscuits and gravy, fruits and so many other options. Everything was fabulous with great service. A beautiful setting.

Plaza Restaurant - MK - dinner - I love this place, the food is great, the service is always wonderful and it's relatively quick even though it's a TS meal. We ordered a Grilled Chicken Sandwich - grilled chicken breast topped with shaved ham and swiss cheese served on a flour-dusted Kaiser. For the picky eater, they left off the ham and cheese. Then we ordered two Turkey Sandwiches - smoked turkey, bacon, lettuce, vine ripened tomato and mayonnaise on toasted multi-grain bread, served with German potato salad. You may substitue the potato salad with fries. We also ordered a childs Grilled chicken on a stick with fries. Everything was so fresh and tasty. The fries were hot and delicious. Great food as always!!

1900 Park Fare - Grand Floridian Resort - dinner - This is another character buffet with Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Druzella and Anastasia. This is some fabulous food. There are options for everyone. The choices are

Starters - spring mixed greens, Caesar Salad, Dressings, Broccoli Salad with cashews, Greek salad, ambrosia, tomato mozzarella salad, macaroni salad, apple with port vinaigrette, peel and eat shrimp
Soups - cream of mushroom, tomato florentine, and chilled strawberry
Accompaniments - sweet potato and red bliss mashed potatoe, brown gravy, carrot and broccoli medley, sauteed squash with chives, niblet corn
Entrees - Chef's freshly prepared pasta, roasted prime rib of beef, mojo marinated turkey breast, salmon with a caper butter sauce, curry chicken with Israeli couscous, apple chutney stuffed pork loin with apple glaze, portobello raviolis with a pesto cream, mussels in ginger broth, salmon with a dill cream sauce, chicken marsala, cheese lasagna, Italian sausage with peppers, chorizo stuffed pork loin with mango barbeque sauce, vegetable egg rolls, mussels in tomato broth

Children's Corner - chicken nuggets, cheese and macaroni, mini corn dogs, pasta marinara, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, niblet corn, cheese pizza and fresh vegetables
Desserts - apple cobbler, bread pudding, brownies, key lime tarts, linzer torte, rice krispie treats, chocolate chip cookies, lemon cheesecake tart, Edy's Soft Serve Ice Cream. Everything is fresh and wonderful. The only problem we had here was the movement along the buffet. There is just people everywhere. Instead of having a beginning on each end that met in the middle, you just run willy-nilly all over the place. A bit disorganized. But worth every penny. The carving station had some great prime rib, but most of it was pretty fatty. What meat there was had such a great flavor. I loved the cobler with ice cream and the bread pudding with this fabulous sauce to adorn it with. I could have had just dessert. There were little mini tarts with fresh fruit on top. DELICIOUS!! I love this place.

Cinderella's Royal Table - MK - breakfast - This is a wonderful character breakfast where you meet Cinderella in the lobby for photos and autographs. Then you arrive upstairs to meet Jasmine, Belle, Snow White and Aurora. The food is great with the following choices - Fresh Fruit, Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Cheese Danish, Muffins, Croissants,
Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast wth Blueberry sauce, Potato Casserole and the
Healthy Choice: Granola - LowFat Yogurt - Caramelized Bananas. This is a preplated breakfast, but if you desire more of one thing or another, they will bring it right out. I always ask for extra stuffed french toast as this is my favorite. Coffee, juice and milk were also included. I love the atmosphere here. The princesses receive a wand and the princes receive a sword and they all receive a wishing star. The photo taken in the lobby is brought to your table; if using the dining plan, the photos are included in your 2 TS credit per person.

LeCellier - Epcot Canada Pavilion - dinner - This is my all time favorite restaurant in all of WDW. The filets are the best beef one will ever eat. So tender, the best flavor, so very delicious. The service has always been excellent as well. We ordered 3 filets, but without the mushroom and we substituted the risotto with cream cheese mashed potatoes. These are THE BEST potatoes in all the world and to mix them with that filet --:cloud9:ahhhhh, heavenly! We also ordered a childs steak with mashed potatoes. Very good as well. I cannot miss a meal here. This is a place that is a must do for us every trip. For dessert we ordered a make your own sundae, a maple creme brulee and a cheesecake with strawberries and the sauce you receive when you order the chocolate whiskey cake. We have always had the best of service here and to talk with the college kids is great. I love hearing about their travels here in WDW and what they plan on doing in the future. We have met some really great folks here.

Liberty Tree Tavern - MK - dinner - Another character meal with Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Chip and Dale all dressed in the historical best. The food is all-you-can-eat served family style and it truly is comfort food at its best. The service was excellent and the food was a plenty, never having to ask for more, it was brought automatically until we told our server we were full. The offerings are Tossed Mixed Greens, served with our special Tavern Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing.
A generous serving of roasted turkey breast, carved beef, and smoked pork loin, with mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables, herb bread stuffing, and Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese. Rolls and gravy are also offered with a very salty butter. Dessert was an apple cobbler with ice cream. This was a great meal and fun with the characters.

Continued Below

dolphinmickey9170
05-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Kona Cafe - Polynesian - dinner - Another wonderful filet. Can you tell we love filet mignon? It is truly our favorite meal. We order three, two we ask for teriyaki sauce on and we get the delicious mashed potatoes and broccoli florets. The beef was tender and full of flavor. The service was fabulous, however, it gets loud at times because you right near the O'Hana dinner as well. Dessert, well, that was a tough one as I wanted one of everything. We ordered a Kona Kone, which was standing on a plate with blue cotton candy and the cone filled with yummy ice cream. The Kilauea Torte which was like a molten lava cake with ice cream, a chocolate fondue and a make your own sundae. Everything was so wonderful. We will return to this one for sure!!

Quick Service -
Pizzafari - AK - lunch - One each, Pepperoni Pizza, Cheese Pizza and Chicken Caesar Salad. This used 3 QS credits and we used one snack credit for an order of breadsticks. The pizza reminds me of the Boboli crust you can buy in your grocery store. However, it was still good. The salad was loaded with chicken and croutons. The breadsticks had cheese on them and served with a marinara sauce. Also a very good snack. We ordered a child’s meal - a pb&J which happens to be an uncrustable served in a plastic wrapper. One cookie and three chocolate cakes for dessert.

Toy Story Pizza Planet - DHS - lunch - Here we ordered a Pepperoni pizza and Cheese pizza each coming with a side salad. These were the same pizzas as Pizzafari in AK. With chocolate chip cookies that were THE BEST!!

Cantina de San Angel - Epcot Mexico - lunch - This was a great treat. We ordered a Plato Combinacion - chicken taco, beef burrito and a quesadilla served with black refried beans and Mexican salsa which was fabulous. We also ordered Cantina Nachos - tortilla chips, beef, cheese, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, sour cream, black refried beans. The salsa was really hot, so I used it sparingly, but delicious nonetheless. The churros for dessert were yummy and still warm when we finished lunch. We sat along the water facing the island where the earth globe stops during Illuminations. It was a fabulous view.

We are going to be trying some new places in August, but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be going to LeCellier again! It's our favorite.

On a side note, we were on the DDP and found that charging the tip to our room was quite easy. We usually ordered adult beverages and a child’s meal which were not on our DDP, so when the bill arrived, we told the server to use TS credits for our meals and charge the remainder of the bill to our room. It was great and there were no awkward moments about the gratuity. I hope you enjoyed my reviews. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!!

cal5755
05-28-2008, 09:23 PM
WOW those are some great reviews!! We are trying CRT for breakfast, CP for breakfast, Kona Cafe for lunch and Le Cellier for dinner in Sept... we have done lunch and dinner at CP before but never done breakfast.. .I am happy to see your reviews... makes me more confident with our ADR's. So glad you had such a wonderful dining experience during your vacation!! The advice about the tip is great advice too!

mouseketeer mom
05-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Those were some of the most awesome reviews I have ever read. I have been to all of those places and now I can't wait until August to hit some of them again. Thanks!

garthbarth1
05-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Wow thanks for the reviews! Awesome!! Glad to hear Liberty Tree is yummy...excited to try it on the 26th of Sept with Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party! Thanks for sharing!

MissStyles
05-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Thank you for the detailed food descriptions.....I really enjoyed them!! :thumbsup:

MOJoe
05-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Those are some very thorough reviews. You really took very good notes.......or stole a lot of menus! :blush:
Also, it appears the only thing you enjoy more than steak, is a Character Meal at MK. Thanks for the very detailed report!

dolphinmickey9170
05-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Those are some very thorough reviews. You really took very good notes.......or stole a lot of menus! :blush:
Also, it appears the only thing you enjoy more than steak, is a Character Meal at MK. Thanks for the very detailed report!

Nope, no menu theiving.....just a good memory. Yes, we really love the filet, and the character meals are fabulously fun!!

Crow
05-29-2008, 09:13 PM
thanks
while i havent eaten at most of the places, I do love CA Grill & will eat there again in Sept.
I liked Le Cellier but can skip it.
and I might do San Angel as I like the atmosphere.
thanks for the reviews

tgropp
05-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Glad to hear that you had a good expeirence at 1900 park fare. We are thinking of eating there before going to MVMCP

epceddie
05-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your dining experiences.
My wife and I LOVE Kona Cafe. We discovered it while visiting the Polynesian on our honeymoon in October.
My wife refuses to visit WDW without stopping there for at least one meal.
We're going back in October and have reservations at Kona (of course) and LeCellier. Can't wait to try the maple creme brulee!