PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been to Ft. Ticonderoga?

alphamommy
05-27-2008, 03:21 PM
We're doing a major driving vacation (with these gas prices, we may never vacation again!) this summer, and will be passing close to Ft. Ticonderoga. I'm a major history buff, but DH and DD8 aren't so much.

Is this a stop worth making? About how much time can we expect to spend there if we go?

Thanks!

Kidsmom
05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
We live about 1.5 hours from it. I have been once. I really enjoyed it. We drove (from Albany NY) and spent about 3 hours there (that was with a lot of time in the gift shop). It is very kid oriented as they get to participate in the "army with guns" . They get to watch the cannons go off, and I learned a lot. (I am not a history buff, but was very impressed). We were two families with 6 kids between 3-8 yrs.

We did this trip in conjunction with a night at the Great Escape Lodge at 6 flags (Lake George, NY). I would recommend this. It has a great indoor waterpark and is across the street from Great Escape 6 flags.

There is not much near the fort, but going before or after to the park would get everyone a little something and you would have a nice place to stay.

I would say it is a "DO" if you are in the area.

Stickey
06-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Yes, Fort Ticonderoga is worth a tour due to its historical significance.

It will take approximately two hours to explore.
Be sure to observe the weapons demonstrations.

While in the region, I recommend a visit to the Saratoga Battlefield, the site of the turning point of the Revolutionary War.