PDA

View Full Version : AKL vs. Y&BC??

Dsnygirl
05-27-2008, 01:07 PM
:mickey: Okay, here's a question I NEVER thought I'd be asking!!

I realize that these resorts are worlds apart in theming, and thus probably favorites to people for totally different reasons.

But - as I never dreamed I'd have the choice b/w the two, now I'm torn and would like a little input as to why folks like either one best, and/or just thoughts about them if you haven't stayed at both and can't compare them.

(Background -- we are booking a land/sea trip next October, and have chosen to do the verandah room on DCL, which allows us to choose a deluxe resort while on land. :cloud9:

My "dream" resort among the deluxes has thus far been AKL because of the Savannah view rooms and the bunk beds. Plus, it's one of the "cheaper" deluxes, and I thought the Y&BC was even in another category than "deluxe". But we can actually choose the BC as one of our deluxe choices, and so now, I'm torn.

We LOVE the ambience we see at the BC... we're big New England travellers, and the pool seems incredible, with the sand and all... As far as the AKL, we aren't able to be guaranteed a bunk bed room when booking with DCL, but would still love seeing the animals. The biggest factor? I don't think we'd ever pay the $385/night rate for the BC on a regular Disney vacation, as we go to New England a lot. But I would consider splurging for the AKL sometime down the road if we don't choose it now, as it's so unique and something we wouldn't get anywhere else. So, as you can probably see, I'm leaning towards the BC, as I may never get this chance again, but would still like some input! :))

BTW - we will be travelling with our DD's, who will be 8 and 11 at the time, if it matters as far as "child-friendliness" of the resorts!

Thanks!! :thanks:

faline
05-27-2008, 01:17 PM
We've had the good fortune to stay at both the Beach Club (once) and Animal Kingdom Lodge (several times - most recently last October).

Beach Club
- amazing pool
- walking distance to Epcot and Disney Studios
- lovely rooms

When we stayed there, we looked forward to all the easily accessible eateries at Boardwalk. This however, turned into a downside for us. All those eateries weren't so accessible, after all. At the most popular eating times, they all had lines out the door. You already know how popular Beaches n Cream is!

Additionally, and this is really minor, we found the resort hallways to be sort of mazelike and it took most of the stay before I learned how to get too and from our room without a wrong turn!

Animal Kingdom Lodge
- great ambiance
- Savannah view rooms are the best - you can't beat seeing the animals from your balcony!

We find the rooms, here, however, are somewhat dark. You can't walk to any of the parks from this location. Mara is the only restaurant that is open mid-day (never have been able to figure out why this is so).

If you think you'll have the opportunity to stay at Animal Kingdom in the future, I'd definitely go with the Beach Club if only to have access to that pool!

mudpuppysmom
05-27-2008, 01:24 PM
We have stayed at AKL before and will be doing so again in December. DH says that I actually relaxed when we stayed at AKL in the past (or even stopped in for a visit) -- which makes him happy since I'm a stressball about vacation and trying to make everything perfect for everyone. I can say that AKl DOES relax me and I very much enjoy staying there. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a savannah view room when we stayed a couple years ago and it was great waking up and seeing DS's eyes light up when he looked out the patio door at all the animals and interacting with them (he talked to them continuously!).

The savannah is very nice to walk around the trails and see all the animals at different places and the CM's are very knowledgeable about all of them. The kids can partake in activities during the day (I want to say that the kids in our group "helped" feed the pelicans one morning and then played some games with the CM regarding the different animals in that particular habitat. Looking through the NVG's really wasn't that fantastic, but we did do it one evening.

We've eaten at all the restaurants offered. Boma I liked, but DH and my cousin were not all that impressed with it. We all liked Jiko though!! And Mara is good to get a quick bite. We return to Jiko nearly every trip and take DS with us (he's 6 now). We have a new little one that will be with us in December and we plan on taking him too (he'll be about 6 months).

As for comparing AKL to the BC, you obviously know that the themeing is totally different. While I have not stayed at the BC, we have visited there several times in recent years and when you enter the front door they don't distinguish you from a paying guest -- they welcome you the same way they do everyone else -- Welcome Home!! I like the feel of the BC too and one of these days I'd love to stay there too -- if we could ever afford it! The amenities they offer there, specifically the pool area sells me on the place as well as the entrance to Epcot a brief walk down the sidewalk. (We're big Epcot people, so being that close is a big plus for us).

If it were me and I had this choice -- which you have already pointed out -- the price between AKL and BC is pretty substantial per night (IMO) and I'd choose BC now since it'd be part of the package.

Just my :twocents: At any rate -- what a decision to make!!

KineGirl
05-27-2008, 01:26 PM
I have to agree with the PP as Ive stayed at both in regards to the benefits of each resort. I LOVE AKL the best - its my new favorite since it opened. You just cant beat those unique views. As you stated your frequent NE travelers so in a sense you see the BC theming regularly - when was the last time your view was an African savannah? However if you think the BC pool (which is incredible) would be more enjoyed than the AKL SV, then you should stay there.

Youre gonna have so much fun either way!! :D

moe513
05-27-2008, 01:43 PM
bc/yc have a wonderful location.

MidnTPK
05-27-2008, 02:26 PM
I haven't stayed at the AKL....so I have no comment pro or con, but you'd never regret a stay at the Y&BCs.

You can't beat the Y&BC location. You only have a short walk home after Illuminations (out the International Gateway). You can take the boat too, but it won't save time, just energy.

You can also walk home after Fantasmic. Long walk, but they have the boats too, which are rarely even close to as busy as a bus stop after these big shows.

And Stormalong Bay is widely considered the best pool area on property. Four you kids ages, it would be perfect.

And the Y&BC is much newer than any resort I've stayed at in New England (including The Equinox, Chatham Bars Inn, Ocean Edge Resort), so it has a different (and IMHO) much better feel.

bkfree
05-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Having stayed at many resorts, YC to us is the best of the best. You absolutely cannot beat its location. The service we got there was also stellar and my two kids (7 and 9) were treated as VIP by all of the staff. We so loved being able to walk to Epcot and to MGM or ride the boat. Stormalong Bay was incredible as was strolling the Boardwalk.We never had to wait on a bus going or coming more than 5 minutes, not were they ever crowded.
The many eating options at the parks and the Epcot resorts within walking distance worked out great for us and the kids.
It will now be hard for us to stay anywhere else on Disney Properties, other than an Epcot resort.

laughingplace<3
05-27-2008, 03:32 PM
I have stayed at both BC, BCV, and AKL.

All are amazing resorts and you will not be disappointed with either. However, my vote would be for BC. There is a lot more to offer there- it is a very central location, and the service for everything is amazing. It is very child friendly, and you can walk to Epcot all the time (which for me personally settles it- I am INLOVE with the World Pavilion!) Dining options are almost limitless, with MGM, Epcot, and Boardwalk so close.

AK is very far away from everything. You will save more time staying at BC, and you will not regret it. I am a personal advocate for BC and have stayed there numerous times. My vote is for BC!

StillSimbaGirl
05-27-2008, 05:47 PM
I have stayed at both - AKL is just amazing....BUT, BC wins if only for the location. You will only have a few days - why waste time on the bus? Epcot is your backyard at the BC.

Besides, I know exactly how you feel...you might stay at AKL at another time given the cost of the BC. I spring for the BC when I am feeling especially flush...and save WL or AKL for a different time!

disneymom2000
05-27-2008, 09:16 PM
I think you answered your own question. It appears you really want to go all out and stay at the Y&BC, since it is a choice. That is my Disney home away from home, so if you don't think you would ever swing for it out of your pocket, I say go for it now.

Dsnygirl
05-28-2008, 12:54 AM
:mickey: Thanks, guys, for all the answers and comments... it's exactly the feedback I was looking for!!

I've always, always wanted to stay at the AKL... but also never dreamed I'd get the chance to stay at the BC, either. So of course, once that became an option, I wanted to just jump on it -- but I didn't want to miss out on the AKL if it turned out people who've been both places thought it was better.

I showed my DH all the pictures of the BC tonight and he agreed that for the price and the pre-cruise atmosphere, it'd be perfect... so we're pretty excited!!

Thanks for all your input! :thanks:

Jeri Lynn
05-28-2008, 06:24 AM
I have also stayed at both resorts and the BC remains my favorite.

I love the BC because of the location, the bright and cheery atmosphere and the pool.

The AKL is a magnificent lodge. However it is a little too dark for me, the hallways are dimly lit and the rooms are a little dark. They are beautiful, just too dark for my taste.

However, when I have been at the AKL I love to sit near the fireplace in the lobby and relax and then in the evening listen to the story out by the outside firepit. Watching the animals is really neat. I never cared for the pool there and found the water cold...(I'm a wimp!)

Both resorts are great, it just depends on your taste.

GusNJacque
05-28-2008, 11:09 PM
I think you will be happy with your decision, Blythe. The Beach Club is my home away from home--so I definately lean that way. I was just there two weeks ago.

DisneyMom took the words right out of my mouth--I could not have said it better.

bruin1344
05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
never stayed at akl and been there. BC is my favorite resort in disney so i pick that.