PDA

View Full Version : Dolphinmickey9170/ DisneyWhirled/ DWHubby Day 1

dolphinmickey9170
05-27-2008, 11:25 AM
THE CAST
ME - Kristen - 37 - Huge Disney fan - I eat sleep and dream about all things Disney. So fanatical that I drive Ben nuts with my constant talk of disney this and disney that.

DH - Ben - 43 - Fell in love with Disney on his very first trip (for our wedding at the Poly in 2006). He loved it so much; he bought me DVC for our wedding. Infatuated with pins, buying mostly, but will trade on occasion.

DD - Katy - 17 - Loves Disney almost as much as I do. She takes care of our DGD everyday while her mommy (Jenn) works.

DGD - Keara - 19 months - Loves Lella (Cinderella), Mickey, Tinkerbell and Pooh.

Finally, no more school!! WOOHOO. I can't believe it's finally over. It has been a long semester.

Wednesday - May 14th - We packed the van today and did all the other boring chores needed around the house. We are starting our vacation with a trip to Camden Yards to watch the Red Sox and the Orioles. I need a Boog's Pit Turkey sandwich, they are so yummy!! Unfortunately, the Sox lost, so this is a sad beginning to my vacation. Oh well, I guess we can't win them all. We get home and head for bed. I pulled the shades so it was quite dark in our room at 8pm and went night night. Although, the commercial from Disney named Anticipation kept running through my mind. You know the one, when the little boy says, "I'm too excited to sleep!!" I do manage to fall asleep by 9 and all of a sudden, the alarm goes off at 0345. UGH! After quick showers, we are out the door by 0405. Our flight is at 0605, so this gives us plenty of time as we are only about 20 minutes from the airport (With no traffic). This was our first time flying with Southwest since they implemented the new boarding process. It all went quite smoothly since there were only about 40 passengers (including us). You line up in numerical order according to the markers and you are boarded just so. We had A 26, 27 and 28, but there were only a couple of people ahead of us, not 25. Very strange. We take the very front three seats and get settled and buckle Keara up with Katy using her Monkey Harness. This worked well. My friends Will and Shannon were supposed to be on the same flight, but at 10 minutes of six they still hadn't shown up, so I sent them a text asking if they were still coming. Then we got the announcement to shut off all cell phones. Well, I guess we'll catch them later, maybe they changed their flight? The flight was great, with the exception of a small patch of turbulence. Keara was great on the plane as well. When we arrived at the airport, we gave her some Motrin for her ears and some Benadryl for her allergies. This put Keara to sleep just after we took off and she slept through the flight just in time to wake up as we were making our approach to the runway. It's now 0815. When we here we can turn our cell phones back on, I find I have a text message from Shannon. She and Will woke up at 0545, obviously way too late to catch the flight, so they are now at BWI on standby hoping to bet on the 10am flight.

We exit the plane and wait for Keara's stroller and head off for DME! I love not having to go to baggage and find our stuff. We get to the DME counter and are ushered right to a bus. We no more sit down and we are moving. So from the time we land on the runway to driving away from BWI was only 30 minutes. Can't beat that. That is why we love getting an early morning flight. There were only 3 other people on the bus with us. Another 30 minutes goes by and it's now 0915 and we are checking in to OKW. Our room isn't ready so the CM gives us our room keys and a card that has a number on t for us to call later that day for the number to our room. We check the two carryons with Bell Services and tell them Garden Grocer will be delivering groceries. They tell me to call them when we get into our room and they will bring everything right up.

We decide to head for DtD via bus as the boats didn't start running until 1100; too bad, that is always such a nice ride. As long as I get to ride them at least once, I'll be happy.

I am looking for a new pair of crocs. I want the pink with white strap ones again. So, our first stop in DtD is WoD. I look all over WoD and find the display of crocs. Yeah! Or so I thought. They have the black ones still with the red strap, they have the mary jane ones that I can't wear, and they have an army tan/brown pair. The only pink they have is the BRIGHT PINK with purple strap. They are cute, but not what I wanted. I ask a CM and they tell me they aren't making that color anymore. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I wanted to cry. I'll keep looking because sometimes you can find discontinued items around other places. Do I find some? Stay tuned......

We were originally going to head for Winter Summerland, but decided against it as we didn't feel Keara would be to accommodating. No biggie, it was too hot anyway! So back to the bus stop and we head for Yacht and Beach Club. We check out their shops for shoes too, only to find the exact same colors. Oh well, that is only two resorts, they have so many more to look into. As we walk around Beach club, looking for Beaches and Cream (I really must be dumb thinking that Beaches and Cream would be at the Beach Club), we find the sign pointing us in the opposite direction. We find ourselves in the Yacht Club lobby. This doesn't make sense, but we continue along and finally come across Beaches and Cream, at the Yacht Club - go figure. This was far to funny. I couldn't stop laughing. We checked in and asked for a booth, we were told it would be a 15 minute wait. No problem, we sit and watch the pool goers and enjoy the weather.

We get inside and it is so small, I really expected it to be bigger. There are 4 or 5 booths, 6 or 7 small round tables and then the counter. Katy orders the chicken sandwich. It was awesome; they marinate the chicken in a citrus vinegrette. Heavenly flavor. Ben orders the double cheeseburger with onion rings, very yummy!! I order a regular burger with fries and Keara (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2589826830042804337EoFuCN) has the hotdog with fries and a Mickey Mouse Sundae (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2455650280042804337rzpsqD). I thought, at these prices, this would be a counter service meal. WRONG! These are similar prices to many of the quick services places, but they are all table service meals. Oh well. With our food and beverages and tip, $50.

We walk to the BoardWalk to check out their shops. Still, no crocs for me in a color I want or the color I already have. I call OKW to see if our room was ready yet - NOPE, not yet. So we wander around the BW some more. They have a shop there with paintings and statues that are so beautiful. They have the dolphins that are at the Poly as you come off the monorail. They are so beautiful. We decide to catch a bus back to DtD and head for the DVC resort boats behind RFC. We had to wait as Reedy Creek Fire Dept Paramedics and WDW Security were assisting a patient who had collapsed from the heat. They took her away on a stretcher after taking her vitals, started an IV, checked her blood sugar, took a lengthy history (All the while they never moving her out of the sun). We got back to OKW @ 4pm and our room was ready, 2316. We get into the room and look around and Katy discovers there is no tub in our room. We are in a handicap accessible room with a walk in shower. Keara is afraid of the shower and needs a tub, and I suffer with restless legs at night, so I end up in the tub sometimes quite late as well. I call the front desk and explain the situation and they tell me they can move us to another loop (Bld #35) tonight into a studio with a tub, but we really want to stay in this loop. Or we can move tomorrow in the same loop (bld #24). We take the second option and will move tomorrow.

We hook up the laptop for a sneak peak at the internet. It IS free for DVC members and I posted a live note on Intercot explaining this. Ben takes a nap as Katy and I head for Conch Flats for some beverages, bananas and Tink picture/autograph book. We get back to the room and Ben is awake. We all freshen up and head to MK! We must renew our APs and then go look for my crocs. And a visor too as Katy took my steelers hat and was wearing it. She looked so cute with it on I just couldn't take it away.

Continued below -

dolphinmickey9170
05-27-2008, 11:29 AM
So, we head for MK, and renew our passes. We pay with our M & T Bank Stadium Visa card with the Ravens insignia on it. The CM asks if he has to use our card as he is a Cleveland Browns fan. Too funny. I tell him we aren't Ravens fans either, but since the bank supports the Ravens, that is the card we got. Ben's a Steelers fan and I am a Patriots fan. Oh well. We head into MK and head right for PoTC. I love that ride, Keara was a little skiddish when she saw Davey Jones. She hid her little face in Katy’s shoulder. Then she was fine. After, we head for Haunted Mansion, then Small World. Still cannot find any pink crocs with the white strap. I guess they weren’t kidding when they said they didn’t have them anymore. By this time we need to head for Cali Grill for dinner. We are meeting Will and Shannon from Magic Never Ends pod cast. Checking in 50 minutes early scores us a table down toward the corner facing MK. We have a fabulous view of Wishes. We all enjoy the Oak Fired Filet while Will and Shannon have some sushi and flatbread as well. It’s 1130 pm and Will and Shannon head for DtD to see Prince Caspian and we head for our room and get some sleep. We are so exhausted. Katy hasn’t slept at all as Keara wouldn't sleep the night before we left, and Ben and I have been up since 3:45 am. So we have been up for 20+ hours.

Next up - AK and the quest for crocs!! Do I find them? Stay tuned.

I'll add pictures as soon as they finish loading.

faline
05-27-2008, 12:02 PM
That first day at Disney always feels terrific! You're off to a good start! I hope you sucessfully complete your quest!

MauiMouse
05-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Glad to hear that you'll get another room tomorrow. I'm the same way. :D

Looks like you're off to a great start. Great pictures too! :mickey:

KylesMom
05-27-2008, 03:34 PM
What a fabulous first day, Kristen. We too like to take the first flight out - it allows you to do so much the first day, as is evident by your report! Sounds like Keara's taking everything in stride!

Sure hope you're able to find the crocs you want - looking forward to your next post! :mickey:

kakn7294
05-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to hear more. So, since Katy took your Steeler hat, does this mean I'm going to be shopping for a new one for you? We can't have you without one - Ben and I might convert you yet (insert evil laugh)!!! I hope you find those Crocs - if not, they are still available on the Crocs website - I was just on there looking because I knew I saw them just a few weeks ago.

tinkerbell04
05-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Sounds like the trip is off to a great start! We bought my DD the crocs you are talking about at the local Marshall's, so I guess everywehre is discontinuing them. I am heading off to read the next post to see if you found those crocs.

wdwgrl377
05-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Terrific start! Glad to see the pics too with the report! Thanks for sharing! Off to read more and to see if you've found any crocs?!? :D

BluewaterBrad
05-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Sounds like you are off to a good start!:mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
05-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Wonderful start to your trip. I am very anxious to see how the Croc Quest ends up. I hope for your sake that it has a happy ending. Thanks for the report. :mickey:

cal5755
05-27-2008, 11:43 PM
What a way to start your trip!! Glad you enjoyed your day and your food!! Hopefully you got a great nights sleep after that exciting and tiring day :mickey:

DizNee143
05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
what a long great first day...cant wait to see if you find your crocs!!!
off to read more..
:mickey:

Bethis26fan
05-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Sounds like a great start.

pdrlkr
06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey: