PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii restaurants

Natazu
05-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Hello all. My mom is going to Hawaii in a few days. She was wondering about good/fun restaurants in the Waikiki area. She'll be at the Waikiki Marriott for a couple of days before their Hawaiian cruise leaves and shore excursions start. So she needs a couple of dinner places and a couple of breakfast or lunch places.
I'm going to send her to Roy's on Waikiki Beach for sure.

Anyone have other recommendations?

KineGirl
05-27-2008, 12:12 AM
I have to recommend Bali by the Sea at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki! The food, service and views are top notch! That whole area has alot of neat restaurants and lounges. When we lived there years ago we could wander around the Village forever!

Also Don Hos "Ohano Ho" Show is pretty cool. He no longer does the show himself but his family does and is everything quintessential Hawaiian. The food is great, the show is great and you get a beautiful lei. :lei:

Im soo jealous.. tell her to have fun!! and Alooooooooha!

NotaGeek
05-27-2008, 04:06 AM
Sunset dinner at Duke's right in downtown Waikiki is awesome ... it's a bar/restaurant and they have Hawaiian music and hula dancing and great food. It's located in the Outrigger Waikiki.

Natazu
05-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Also Don Hos "Ohano Ho" Show is pretty cool. Family Ho? :D

KineGirl
05-27-2008, 10:10 AM
:funny:

I thought that but..

hey! you said it - not me :mickey:

you forgot the part about getting (a) lei

TheDuckRocks
05-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Family Ho? :D

Actually ..... Ohana Ho!

TheDuckRocks
05-27-2008, 11:30 AM
I have to agree with Roy's, Bali by the Sea and Duke's.
But for breakfast I would not miss Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch and Crab out on Nimitz Hwy. Tell her be sure to get Sam's Fried Rice to go along with what ever else she orders. Getting a cab to take her there fron her hotel is very easy.
During our 13 years of living in Hawaii some of our favorite Waikiki restaurants were:
The Shorebird at the Outrigger (a buffet with grills where you cook your own meat located right on the ocean)
Tanaka's of Tokyo (teppanyaki style)
The Colony at the Hyatt Regency (upscale steakhouse)
A short distance from Waikiki is both Ward Center and Ward Warehouse, complexes with many excellent dining options. These you could get to with a taxi or even using Da Bus.
OK, now I'm both hungry and homesick!
Tell your mom to have a great time. Aloha!:lei:

KineGirl
05-27-2008, 11:36 AM
I have to agree with Roy's, Bali by the Sea and Duke's.
But for breakfast I would not miss Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch and Crab out on Nimitz Hwy. Tell her be sure to get Sam's Fried Rice to go along with what ever else she orders. Getting a cab to take her there fron her hotel is very easy.
During our 13 years of living in Hawaii some of our favorite Waikiki restaurants were:
The Shorebird at the Outrigger (a buffet with grills where you cook your own meat located right on the ocean)
Tanaka's of Tokyo (teppanyaki style)
The Colony at the Hyatt Regency (upscale steakhouse)
A short distance from Waikiki is both Ward Center and Ward Warehouse, complexes with many excellent dining options. These you could get to with a taxi or even using Da Bus.
OK, now I'm both hungry and homesick!
Tell your mom to have a great time. Aloha!:lei:

:offtopic:

I only lived there for 3 in Ewa Beach but thats how I got my life long name of (da) Kine girl

shaka brah

murphy1
05-27-2008, 01:47 PM
We did Canoe too, it was great. Maui has Mama's Fish House, it's good, if she goes there. We went to the best Italian place ( I know what you're thinking), it was so good, called Cafe Portofino, but I don't know if they have one in Oahu.

Fryguy
05-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Sunset dinner at Duke's right in downtown Waikiki is awesome ... it's a bar/restaurant and they have Hawaiian music and hula dancing and great food. It's located in the Outrigger Waikiki.

Dukes is wonderful!

Also right next to the hotel is a Tiki restraunt that is also very good.

wdwfansince75
05-27-2008, 09:44 PM
:offtopic:

I only lived there for 3 in Ewa Beach but thats how I got my life long name of (da) Kine girl

shaka brah

Ewa Beach or Iroquois Point?
Was your dad a VP sailor?
Stationed at Barbers Pt 71-73. Stood on lanai, and waved as planes bring POW's back to US approached Hickam.

Back on subject....is the Pearl City Tavern still operating? While the Monkey bar was distracting, the food used to be great.

But nothing beats getting up to the North Shore, to Jamesons in Haleiwa....try the Opakapaka...or the Ahi. Try to be there for the world's absolute best sunset.

Natazu
05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Thank you all for your help.
I'm sending her to Roy's, Duke's, Shorebird, & Sam Choy's. Should be a nice mix.

:thanks:
:notworth:

KineGirl
05-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Ewa Beach or Iroquois Point?
Was your dad a VP sailor?
Stationed at Barbers Pt 71-73. Stood on lanai, and waved as planes bring POW's back to US approached Hickam.

:offtopic: again (sorry for hijacking :blush:)

He was stationed at Barbers Pt in a helo div. - HSL 37, around the mid 80s, cruising Japan

oldgym
06-03-2008, 12:20 AM
waikiki has some of the most beautiful restaurants because they are situated by the ocean or some kind of spectacular view. (its tourists heaven so duh the ambiance and level of dining is going to be top notch)

as a local i must admit that i rarely go out to eat in waikiki, only on special occasions do i get out there and thats like once every 2 years or something.

the best local spots are the hole in the walls, and mom pop shops that i dont think tourists would find appealing.

www.eatouthawaii.com - has listings of restaurants on oahu if that might help you choose.

If i were to recommend one for your visiting mother I would say visit a reataurant in one of the hotels that border the ocean, like the marriot or halekulani.

aloha!