PDA

View Full Version : Review--House of Blues Gospel Brunch--May 2008

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
05-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Date: May 24, 2008
Time: 10:30
Participants: DH, DS(16), DD(12) and myself

The Gospel Brunch at the House of Blues is something our family has always wanted to do. This short weekend trip was the perfect time to try this, since we were scheduled to fly out that afternoon and could save a day on our park tickets. I called HOB directly and ordered tickets about 3 weeks prior to our trip. We had to pick up the tickets at the ticket office just prior to the seating. We went about 10:15 or so and there was a short line to get our tickets. The seating is assigned, so there would be no need to wait in the long line to get in after you get your tickets unless you want to be first to the food!

Our table was in “the pit” which meant we were front and center for the entertainment. The tables were set for 8 and we were seated with two other couples, both from Jacksonville. One couple had been there before. The rest of us were newbies. The food was good and plentiful. Between the four of us we tried almost everything including sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, catfish fingers, roast beef, BBQ chicken, omelette station, mac and cheese, fruit, cesaer salad, broccoli salad, roast potatoes, jambalaya and dessert. I should also mention that although none of us Midwesterners had the cheese grits, the others at our table said they were excellent.

First you are directed to the food and there are waiters who are attentive to remove used plates and get drink refills if you need them. Alcoholic beverages are not included, but there are Bloody Marys and Mimosas available at an extra charge. The gospel singing started about 45 minutes to an hour after the start. The performers were fabulous, very talented and praising God every minute. They sang for maybe 30 to 40 minutes and when they were done the whole thing was over. My only regret was not grabbing dessert prior to the start of the singing. I know I could have gotten up from the table and picked out some goodies, but it felt awkward to me, especially when our table was right there in the middle of the floor.

My whole family loved this meal and the music too. It felt good to “go to church” even while on vacation in Disney! We would do this again in the future.

jillluvsdisney
05-26-2008, 06:50 PM
I've been to the Gospel Brunch twice at HOB in DTD. It was a wonderful experience. The food was great and we entertainment was amazing. We may try it again this December. I think the food at the HOB restaurant is really good also. It has made its way onto our must do list.

mouseketeer mom
05-27-2008, 06:18 AM
We went over Thanksgiving last year. For us, it wasn't the best because as you mentioned you are seated with others. Well, it was our family of 5 and then the other three folks. They did not talk, even to each other, and they just watched us the whole time. We were front, right next to the stage and the one performer tried to engage the woman at our table and she wouldn't even smile back at him. She seemed annoyed and uncomfortable. Its the luck of the draw who you get seated with, but it made for an awkward brunch! The food was terrific, the performance great, except really, really, really loud.

BluewaterBrad
06-01-2008, 12:03 PM
I am going to have to try that soon! Thanks for the reviiew.

tinkerbell04
06-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks for sharing the review. It sounds like it was a great experience for your family,