PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Discovery Cove in Orlando?

Dsnygirl
05-26-2008, 05:32 AM
Hi all - just wondering if anyone has tried a day at Discovery Cove? We're taking a land/sea DCL cruise next year, and want to do an excursion in Nassau that includes a dolphin encounter. But someone recommended we try Discovery Cove instead, for a day before or after our scheduled park/cruising days, so I thought I'd check it out.

It looks awesome - but the prices - talk about sticker shock! Granted, it's an all-day, reservation-only experience, meals included -- but $289pp, and we're a family of 4!! So, you're talking almost $1160 for one day! That just seems absurd, esp. since we can do an (albeit shorter, not as nice, I'm sure) excursion in Nassau for about $350.

So, although we're not seriously considering it, maybe someday we might??? So, just wondering if anybody's been there, and what you're opinion on the experience was. Am I crazy to think that is just way too expensive??

Thanks! :thanks:

mrbghd
05-26-2008, 10:25 AM
My wife and I did Discovery Cove last year and it was AWESOME. We went during the summer and did the evening program (3-9). The price is a little less but after 5 the park only had 200 people in it. Everything is the same in the evening with a couple of exceptions: you don't get to be pulled by the dolphin, only pet them and interact with them.There is a full gourmet buffet dinner with a band and dancing. The park was great, the staff was great, it was well worth the money for the 2 of us. That being said 1100 bucks for a day for the 4 of you is pretty steep!

dwade266
05-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I would suggest that you review Discovery Cove's website in detail. You will see that your "dolphin encounter" is an "appointment" that lasts about an hour. You will be in a group of 6-8 people with a dolphin trainer in waist deep water. There will be a photographer and a videographer. You get a brief introduction to the dolphin and lots of "photo ops". If you want (and are comfortable in deep water - and oyu do have a vest), you get a brief "ride" by holding on the dolphin fin and he swims out about 20 yards and back. Then - get out your wallet again - they take you over to view th video and photos they took. I think we spent another $69 there.

But there's the whole rest of the day - there is the "lazy river" for snorkeling (which is fresh water) and a salt water area where you can swim with the fish, including skates/rays (barbs removed) and shark (which are in a separate plexiglass tank - its a great illusion).

The food was good - not great, but better than you might expect. Unlimited snacks (soda, Annhauser/Busch beers, chips, ice cream).
The Discovery Cove experience includes a 7 day pass to Sea World, which we didn't really count into our agenda. We felt obligated to go (we had been before about 7-8 years ago). But Sea World is about a 2 day experience and then you're done.

Is it worth it? Tough call. I was kinda annoyed by the photo sales pitch. Part of me is enthralled by the idea of being right there with the dolphins, and part of me is sad for the dolphins. Part of me was thrilled and part of me said OMG! OMG! when I saw the credit card bill.

Note not everyone in your party has to do the "dolphin encounter". You can save some $$ (but not much). My husband didn't do the dolphin swim and instead took his own pictures (although they won't let you in the water if you are just taking pix). I wouldn't pay for a kid less than about 8 especially if they are timid. Also, if you arent really comfortable with a snorkel, the rest of the day is a loss.

droopy d.
05-26-2008, 10:44 AM
I've never done it myself but we have several friends how have and they have said it is worth the money. Some have even said they would do it again.

StillSimbaGirl
05-27-2008, 07:10 PM
We did it a couple of years back and we did manage to snag a discount...I guess it was about $229 per person. There were 3 of us and we will probably do it again sometime.

It was a really nice day...and if you want to do a day or two at Sea World it really helps cut the sting from the ticket price.

When we go to Disney, we just do Disney...but often, when we go to Orlando, we do Universal instead...and because tickets to Universal for the week are about $90 per person for the week...I guess I figure, I can do Discovery Cove, Sea World and Universal for about the same price as a 7 day Park Hopper Disney ticket. When I am "saving money" I just do Sea World and Universal.

And I don't have to pay for food the day I go to Discovery Cove.

The only thing I really don't like: the photo sales. Very expensive...and you have paid enough already.

laughingplace<3
05-27-2008, 08:21 PM
I have done it and will be doing it this summer again.

The park is beautiful, the food I thought was really good. There are snack bars in which you can go to and get whatever you want, which is pretty cool.

The dolphin encounter was fun, however (don't beat me up!) I'm not big with dolphins. They are amazing mammals and interacting with them is cool, but for the price, I didn't feel like it was worth it at all. If you REALLY want to do a dolphin interaction, and that's your thing, I recommend this. I have no idea what the interaction would be like in Nassau, but with Discovery Cove you are guaranteed the dolphins are taken care of fairly. The interaction is informative, educational, and pretty much everything you could ask for in a dolphin encounter. The way I am with animal encounters, Discovery Cove would be the way to go- animals are so often taken advantage of to make money with interactions, but SW knows what they are doing.

Besides the Dolphin interaction, the park is a beauty. Be warned, though: even on a hot summer day, the snorkeling pool, normal pool area, and "lazy" river water is FREEZING. The lazy river doesn't have tubes, you swim through it. There is a current and it can get deep sometimes, and then all of a sudden shallow. The current can be very strong, and they have pots and such for theming on the bottom of the river sometimes (BAD FOR STUBBING TOES ON). I think kids probably under the age of 9, or kids who aren't strong swimmers, would not enjoy this lazy river.

All in all, if your family really wants to interact with dolphins, and your kids are up for snorkling along fish and stingrays (which takes a lot, depending on how good a swimmer they are and how comfortable they are), then it is worth it. If not, then no, it is not worth it. I hope I helped.