PDA

View Full Version : Just dreaming...Any ideas?

Turk82
05-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Well, I booked my airline tickets so I guess it's official...I'm really going!!! I managed to grab my r/t air for only $162 (non-stop, including tax!!! okay, I'll stop bragging). I will be flying in on Wednesday Nov 12 at 6:45pm, which gives me a WHOLE DAY free in Orlando!!!:mickey: I haven't actually booked anything yet, so I am totally open to suggestions. :blush: I think that I will stay near WDW (or at!) for the night of the 12th and 13th (giving me all day the 13th to do whatever). Then on Friday (the 14th) I will go to Cape Canaveral and I think I will stay at the Radisson Resort at the Port. There is supposedly a number of things to do there (swimming, walking, etc) to keep me busy on Friday and then (obviously) I was to get to the port ASAP on Sat!!!
So, I'm trying to figure out the best way to use my pre-cruise time. Would spending Thursday at one of the parks be a good idea (or just fatiguing?)? If so, which? Maybe a dinner show? (Or should I just wait for my cruise for the shows??) Or???? Is it worth the extra $$ to stay at a Disney resort prior or should I just go el cheapo and figure I'll spend the money on DOING things? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
BTW, I am traveling with a couple who are like parents to me as well as with my guide dog.

ElenitaB
05-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Congrats on scoring the great airfare! :thumbsup:

We always stay on property, as it allows us to use DME and save some $$$ that way. If you choose that route, you can always go to DTD for your first taste of Disney magic.

DisneyDudet
05-25-2008, 08:13 PM
It really depends on what you want to do. Would you like to spend a day at Disney? For us, it would make us want to stay longer :cloud9:. We opt to stay at the Hyatt in the airport. We will be renting a car, for cheap and head out to DTD to shop and go to Walmart for some last minute stuff.

Like Ellen said, they like to do Disney World, while we'd like to just chill. The Hyatt is AMAZING!

Also if you book Disney Transfers, you can leave from the hotel, plus they handle your baggage, major plus!

If you want to do some beachy type stuff, you could get a hotel near the port. I would book one that offers free port shuttle, so you can leave your car there.

There's no clear answer, really. Disney World would cost you money, so if you are trying to save a little cashola, then it may not be least expensive way to do it.

For 26 days from now :party:, our plan is to arrive into MCO at 930a. We'll go check into the hotel, settle some stuff, then go pick up the rental car, and head out toward DTD. We'll stop at WalMart and pick up some drinks and other things we may have forgotten (or didn't want to pack for the airplane). We'll head to the Disney outlet too, since we like to see what they have. We'll then head to DTD Marketplace for lunch at EoS. We'll shop around, and hopefully eat some ice cream at Ghiridelli. We'll shop around some more, maybe check out some resorts, and head out to dinner at Beaches N Cream (maybe...), then head back to the hotel. We'll wake up early, put our bags out in the hall, TAGGED, and head downstairs to catch our bus to the port!!

Sorry for the super long post, but since you have 2 days, you have so much more things you can do! For us, a park would just be too much money (unless we already have an AP or tickets), so we'll do low budget Disney!

TammiMcMan
05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
That's great airfare! Hopefully they don't nickle and dime you on the small stuff though. I noticed many airlines are now charging extra for good seats (which basically covers anything but the back row) and charges for carry on luggage.

Ohhh, so many options. I would probably opt to stay at least in the Downtown Disney area. If you didn't go to a park, you could still have dinner, go shopping, maybe see La Nouba if that interests you. If you were feeling really adventurous, you can hop on a resort bus from DTD, have dinner at one of the park resorts and watch the fireworks from there.

My dad lived in the area around the Radisson, so we used to visit there quite a bit. You can easily spend the day there enjoying the beach, or shopping (especially at Ron Jon's surf shop).

Turk82
05-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!!! I am now leaning in the direction of just staying at Disney all three pre-cruise nights. Not changing hotels is a plus for me as well as nobody having to figure out directions and saving on a car. So, just flying in...dinner somewhere, 2 days at WDW (haven't actually decided on tickets yet) and then Disney transport to port! Too cool!
:-)

DisneyDudet
05-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!!! I am now leaning in the direction of just staying at Disney all three pre-cruise nights. Not changing hotels is a plus for me as well as nobody having to figure out directions and saving on a car. So, just flying in...dinner somewhere, 2 days at WDW (haven't actually decided on tickets yet) and then Disney transport to port! Too cool!
:-)

Sounds like a mini land/sea vacay!

Just know that Disney transport to the port leaves around 11 or so, so you won't be first at the port, if that is something you want/need (for ressies at Palo's or spa). If you want to get there early, you can arranged your own towncar or something. Just something to keep in the back of your mind ;) Remember, Disney transport from airport to port, port to airport, and between the resorts and the port are $35 pp each way. If you have a large group, people have found it cheaper to get a towncar van.

Have a great time, I'm so ready for my cruise!

JMTStone
05-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Hey Meg!

Glad you saved money on the flight. I agree, why not spend some time in the world? Then you can rest on the boat. That's what we're planning before ours. I'm trying for 4 days, one for each park.

You can stay at a value and get picked up at a deluxe by the Disney transportation. (I've already asked) Disney transportation for DCL comes to the following locations:
Disney Deluxe Resorts – The ultimate in luxury, style and comfort

Available when you book a Category 1, 2 or 3 Stateroom.

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Available when you book a Category 4, 5, 6 or 7 Stateroom.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Disney's Beach Club Resort

Disney's Polynesian Resort

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa

Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel

Walt Disney World Swan Hotel

Disney Moderate Resorts – An enchanting combination of amenities and value

Available when you book a Category 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 Stateroom.

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

Enjoy your planning!