PDA

View Full Version : Booking views

mouseketeer mom
05-24-2008, 08:07 AM
I know there's alot of talk on here about choosing resorts. What about choosing a room grade within resorts..do many of you deliberate about that before booking??
I do, here's why. Staying at the Poly facing the castle, and the CR facing the castle, really add to the experience for us. We feel like we never really leave the park. When we've stayed other places..like the villas at WL, we faced a tree and other side of the bldg. Wasn't the same. Now, it was lovely, and terrific anyways..but I wonder how many feel that paying for a view is actually worth it? I'm just curious.

kathiep
05-24-2008, 08:27 AM
We're on the other side of the fence :blush:

We don't spend enough time in our room to justify paying any extra money for a view.

We usually check the view out once when we arrive but after that, we're always on the go.

That's not to say we wouldn't enjoy a fantastic view of the castle - but it's not worth it for us to pay for it.

LW_DFREAK
05-24-2008, 08:42 AM
I do agree that having some type of "view" is nice when staying at a Disney resort. Though, I have stayed at both the Poly and AKL recently because of the entire experience too. At the Poly for the most part I think you can get a good view anywhere. On our last visit, a couple weeks, I was disappointmented when our room request wasn't granted, but they did put us in the Figi building on the third floor with a view of the water, monorail and Grand Floridian and it was very nice. I was pleasantly surprised. On another occassion at the Poly we actually had a room that viewed the monorail where some people might not like it, we loved it, especailly our boys who love trains.

We also don't spend a lot of time in the room, so having a resort that has great theming, cool pool area and easy access to the parks is worth paying exta $$ to me, not necessarily the room view.

There are so many options with so much too choose from!! :crazy:

mickey&missy
05-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I like a view too!

We've stayed in a savannah view room at AKL. a courtyard view room at WL, I proposely requested rooms at the end of the hall so we could see Bay Lake. It was a lovely view! The sunrise was breathtaking and we could see the water pagenant! We stayed in a room that over looked the marina at GF, it was beautiful and we could see the monorail heading toward MK.

DH and I are going alone in March 09 for our 10th aniversary. We are going to stay in a concierge room at Poly with a MK view! I can't wait!

beksy
05-24-2008, 11:52 AM
For us view is important especially on this next trip (although I'd always take a great view if I had the $$!). With my mother's health problems she may spend the majority of some days in the room so for her to be able to see the castle from the room is very important for us and definitely makes it worth the extra savings. If its just my sister and I going, we don't spend enough time in the room to justify saving that hard to pay for a great view.

tinksmom02
05-24-2008, 02:29 PM
One of the reasons we haven't (yet) stayed at the Poly is because I would definitely want a castle view, and that's an additional cost.

someday....

Mousemates
05-26-2008, 11:35 AM
To me a view is only of moderate importance, unless I'm staying at the AKL where the upgrade to a Savannah view is a very, very nice luxury to splurge on...its so cool to look out your window and see a giraffe looking back at eye level....this takes theming to a new level and makes it feel like AFrica even when you wake up in the night and step out on the porch for a minute.

We've done courtyard views from WL, and various views from the CR...the view upgrade are nice, but are usually of very limited enjoyment since most folks don't "hole up" in the rooms for very long at WDW.

Polynesian Dweller
05-26-2008, 12:02 PM
The view is why we now stay in Poly club level. Its always guaranteed. We now actually spend more time in our room (on our balcony) than we ever thought we would because its so relaxing just looking at the activity on the Seven Seas Lagoon and at the castle. The castle is especially nice at night with the ever changing colour of the light on it. Definitely worth it.

TheRustyScupper
05-27-2008, 02:06 AM
1) To each, their own.
2) I don't see it, but others have their own preferences.

kakn7294
05-27-2008, 05:22 AM
It depends on where I'm staying. If I could afford CR, Poly, GF, or AKL, then I would definately spend the extra money to upgrade to a "view". Otherwise, we do what we normally do and pay for a standard room and stare at whatever we get. We're not in the room long enough to care anyway and when we are there, nobody needs a view into my room - especially when we are getting dressed - so the curtains/blinds are always closed!

Figment104
05-27-2008, 01:23 PM
I have to admit that if it's within the budget I pay for the view, but we spend a lot of time out on the balcony just relaxing and enjoying the view. We love the WL and I always go with a courtyard view and request the main courtyard, this time we're staying at the Poly and it just wasn't in the budget to pay for a view so I'm hoping we get lucky. I do have some bad memories of a view at the Poly from when I was a child though so I am a bit apprehensive, our view was of the wall of another building, that's it nothing else. I'm not sure where at the Poly that would have been but it's one of the few things I remember from that trip and I even verified it with my dad to make sure I was remembering it correctly. Who knows maybe by the time we go I'll have enough additional that I can ask for a room upgrade and pay the difference if they have one available. :mickey:

Septbride2002
05-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Views aren't of great importance to me. I had a garden view at the Poly and it was extremely nice. We had a standard view at Animal Kingdom Lodge and LOVED it. That being said I do prefer the Boardwalk View at the Boardwalk Resorts - however we also enjoyed our standard view. So if standard isn't available and I've got the DVC points - I'll take the Boardwalk View over the pool view of the clown slide ;)

~Amanda

Princess Maggie
05-27-2008, 08:37 PM
For my DH and I views are important. :mickey: We were always lucky and managed to get the MK side,prior to WDW charging extra for views, when staying at the Contemporary. We now do pay the extra $ to guarantee our view. We love relaxing on the balcony and watching the fireworks. And when the show is over we sit back and comment on how we are glad we are not in that mad rush of people trying to head out of the parks. We will be sitting on that balcony in 132 days !!:cloud9:

KineGirl
05-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Oh yes! The view is part of it! I dont always go out of my way (sometimes location is more important like at OKW) but at certain resorts like AKL its a must! Ive yet to have a castle view resort and to be honest Im almost afraid to! - Im afraid Id never go anywhere else but those resorts again!!

Im about convinced they put something in the water at Poly ;) it has an almost cult like following! Im sure Id be in love too!