PDA

View Full Version : Jiko for families?

mouseketeer mom
05-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Ok-we're onto planning November. Our deal is to try a couple of new places each trip. We haven't been to Jiko, but my kids have been watching Cat Cora cooking at Jiko on Disney on Demand. I haven't considered this place before..(we've been to Boma's tho)..would it be a good place for a family? My kids will be 14, 12 and 9 at travel time. I know its signature dining,..but we did Cali Grill which was signature and felt that was very family friendly. Any thoughts??

Natazu
05-23-2008, 09:10 PM
You know, I had a long conversation with Jiko manager Steve about exactly this subject (and wine, cause kids and wine go together like play dates and aspirin). They're worked very hard to keep the mildly esoteric menu kid friendly. I think the kid menu is amazing even for a Disney restaurant, salmon, filet, pizza, pb&j, chicken, grilled cheese, and the most awesome mac and cheese in the world. It takes two days to prepare Jiko's mac-n-cheese. They've even been known to steal some food from Boma if you just can't find anything for junior to eat. The atmosphere is more than entertaining. In fact, it's down right captivating. Plus, I think yours are old enough to appreciate the place for what it is.

CaptSmee
05-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Jiko was actually disappointing to me. While it was very good and a different meal than usual, especially at WDW for the price I would have rather eaten at Boma again. California Grill exceeded the hype for us when we ate there last year...but I dunno...Jiko was good, just not exceptional.

KineGirl
05-23-2008, 09:47 PM
I have to agree with Natazu/Jym. While I wouldnt recommend this menu for those with small small children (only because it is more of an adult ambiance) yours seem to be a great age to appreciate it. That and the Jiko mac n cheese is worthy of awards all its own. But I would also recommend that you request the chefs table if its available. All the cooking is done in a real fire brick oven - all of it. Its neat to watch the chefs to prepare and cook all the food. Not to mention theyre super friendly. Its our preferred seating when we go.

Jikos is hands down the best restaurant in WDW IMO for food and wine - having eaten in many fine dining establishments, I think it very deserving of its diamonds.