PDA

View Full Version : Hotel room size and happy families!

TikiGoddess
05-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi all,

I am debating between Pop and POFQ for our next trip. One of the arguments I'm having with myself is the size of the room. I've stayed in value rooms before, but not with my entire family (me, DH, DD5, DD3). We stayed together at CSR one year for 2 nights, but it was a King room so it's hard to judge the size of the room. We've never stayed in any hotel room together longer than 3 nights...

Is it possible to be in a Value Resort room for eight nights without getting grumpy with each other? We use the room to sleep, shower, take a mid-day nap (well, everyone except me... I usually read or sit by the pool), and... sleep.

Any stories/advice about sharing a small space with family?

mickey&missy
05-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Well, I think you have a good argument for and against. The extra space is nice and a little more room to move around, but you may not be in the room long enough to notice.

I find that all the stuff (lots and lots of stuff!) that is involved with a family going to WDW needs a room of its own just about!!

Seasonscraps
05-23-2008, 08:30 PM
I get grumpy with just DH in a moderate resort room (and even a deluxe) :blush: I just hate the complete lack of privacy in hotels.

Seriously though, with four people I would go for a little extra room. Even though you dont spend a lot of time in the room, the time you are there can be hectic with getting ready for bed or the parks or what have you. The mods include fridges & coffee makers in the rooms which is a nice ammenity.

JMTStone
05-23-2008, 09:14 PM
We stayed at AKL with DD12 and DD3. There were two double beds. We did NOT get on each other's nerves. We DID schedule bathroom time. I got ready first then got the girls ready and I took them to eat breakfast while DH took his shower (being the only boy gave him that advantage). The girls bathed/showered before bed so it worked out. We ended up one adult/one child in each bed.

I did take DD3 back to the room a few afternoons for naps while DH and older daughter enjoyed time by themselves.

I think having kids so young you should be fine... now if you're worried about being that close to your spouse for days on end in ADDITION to the kids, I'd go larger. Better to have a happy family on vacation than a grumpy one.

MickeyMomof2
05-23-2008, 09:22 PM
We stayed at ASSp last fall - Me, DH, DD3 and DS5. We used the room as you mentioned above, and we were fine. It was a little incovenient for us that the kids needed to go to sleep earlier than we did, but a larger room won't help with that (I guess only a suite would solve this). We just turned the lights off and let the kids go to sleep, and then I used a clip-on light to read and my hubby turned the TV on. My kids argue like all siblings do, but we got along great for that week. I guess the Disney magic brought out the best in us!

elmjimmlm
05-23-2008, 09:37 PM
We have stayed in value and moderate and the room size is not a big difference...We do stay at POR because we are a family of 5 and need a trundle bed...It really works out great for us...I like the atmosphere of a moderate better...They are not as busy as a value...My thought on room size is that how much time do you spend in the room...For us we are there long enough for showers and sleep...

PhilHarHarMagic
05-23-2008, 10:06 PM
I'll add my two cents - I think you'll be fine at a value resort with young kids. I don't think you'll get that much extra space otherwise. Storage might be an issue in the value resort with the elfa-type shelf as your closet.

We did All-Star Sports when it first opened with two small kids and it worked out well. Now we need two rooms...

magicofdisney
05-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Another consideration is to get 2 value rooms that connect. We always go this route, primarily because we're a family of 6, but also because we love the extra room, beds, bathroom and TV. It's a little more costly, but very close in price to one moderate room but less expensive than the Music suites. :mickey:

Jeri Lynn
05-24-2008, 10:30 AM
We are a family of six, when the kids were younger we always rented two rooms at a moderate and then we fell in love with the Beach Club and now we also rent two rooms there.

I could not imagine trying to fit 6 of us in one room at the BC, the room size would be sufficient (if they allowed 6) however just comfort wise that's alot of people for one bathroom and just some alone space.

Our kids are old enough that we do not need a connecting/adjoining room, we just get them side by side. Occassionally one of the kids will sleep in our room.

I love my kids but when I want some time alone having our own room is certainly a perk!!

It's getting harder though because now the boyfriends come into play and the daughters want to take them down with us...if we were lucky enough to do that we'd end up with three rooms, one for my son and the BF's, one for my daughters and one for us...but we would certainly go to a moderate at that point!!

Mousemates
05-24-2008, 04:14 PM
We've done four to a room with DS 12 and DD 14 and had no issues...to me you don't gain all that much in terms of kids in moving up to a mod...you still have one bathroom and you still have the "space wars" that come with two kids (used to sleeping by themselves) sharing a full bed.

So a pure getting on each others nerve factor, I don't see much of a difference between a mod and a value....if disney only had bunk rooms in something besides a deluxe.

Have you given any thought to a family suite at the all-stars?

pandkx3
05-24-2008, 04:23 PM
We have five in our family and usually get two connecting rooms at Pop. My favorite thing about this option is having two bathrooms! Also, you have a little room to spread out. With me, DH and three DS's, the extra room helps sooth frayed nerves:yay:

2Princesses4Us
05-25-2008, 10:31 AM
we are a family of five and stayed at Coronado Springs two years ago. It was fine, but I did feel the crowdedness! We stayed four nights.

We are staying at Poly for the first time for our next visit (September). I am looking forward to just a bit more room. I am still reeling from the $ though!

gnomelady
05-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I have stayed at POFQ and recently POP Century.
POFQ;The rooms are larger at POFQ but not that much. They do have a double sink and a curtain that can be closed between the bathroom and room. It didn't cut down on light but it did give privacy. Room is a nice size and you should have plenty of space for 4. The landscaping is beautiful. The resort is smaller and I liked that alot. Not alot of walking.
POP: Rooms are smaller but for 4 people and smaller children it's large enough. They have a set of chest of drawers you can put your clothes in. If you arrange your luggage you should be fine. The age of your children they will love the POP. Hey I loved it and I am 50 plus. It has a big Lady and The Tramp, Mickey Mouse and many more icons the will recognize and you will enjoy them too. It's just a fun resort. For the difference of $50 -$60 a night I would chose a value. You have to decide what is important to you. If you feel space is important then go for moderate. Both resorts are great.

Eeyore's My Favorite
05-25-2008, 06:09 PM
I'd say go for the family suites at the AllStars. I peeked into the ones at ASMu in January & they look fantastic. Little kitchenette area, plus the bonus of two separate rooms, two bathrooms & room to spread out. Plus you can put the kids to sleep in one area & still be able to watch TV in the other. There's lots of different sites that let you view the rooms - that's always another alternative to a moderate.:mickey:

Young@Heart
05-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Go for POP! I think you'll have plenty of room. We've stayed there, and at POFQ, and honestly the room size didn't seem to be that different. DC love the food court and gift shop better at POP, as well as the arcade. They missed the slide at the pool, but not enough to choose POFQ over POP. We left it up to them this year, and they chose POP again. We're doing 2 rooms, but DC are really looking forward to being back at their favorite resort. :mickey:

bmj721
05-25-2008, 09:46 PM
We have 5 this next trip in Dec and we have reservations for ASMu suites. I did a lot of research on this. We have done the 2 rooms with connecting door at POR and single room at Value or Moderate. This time we're trying the suites with the kitchenette. Plus with the separate bedroom and real door there is a more home like situation for downtime and room for the boys to blow off energy. This may help your decision making.
:mickey:

TikiGoddess
05-26-2008, 08:56 AM
OP here...

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards POFQ is the pool slide. And the fact that you don't have to pay for a refrigerator. I think the kids would like the theming at Pop better, but my DD LOVED the pool slide at WL last summer and would miss one at Pop.

It's a difference in price of $570 or so. I think POFQ gets my vote... I think.... keep the ideas coming...

TikiG

mook3y
05-26-2008, 02:14 PM
OP here...

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards POFQ is the pool slide. And the fact that you don't have to pay for a refrigerator. I think the kids would like the theming at Pop better, but my DD LOVED the pool slide at WL last summer and would miss one at Pop.

It's a difference in price of $570 or so. I think POFQ gets my vote... I think.... keep the ideas coming...

TikiG

Our family definately spends a lot more time in the pools in direct relation to how nice the resort is.

When we stayed at POFQ we were in the pool almost every day.

When we stayed at ASMu, we made it in the pool only a couple of times.

momof3+twins
05-26-2008, 02:15 PM
We have stayed at Movies with 3 kids (6,4,2 years old) and it worked out just fine. We were a little cramped on space for all of the junk we bring and buy. But, I not once felt grumpy with the space issue of being with my family. We eat breakfast, sleep, nap and shower there. It worked out fine. I really personally would not spend the extra money. The values are great, save the money.

Mickey'sGirl
05-26-2008, 02:40 PM
We've had great stays at all of the values, but if you plan on using the pool, and the price differential is so nominal, I recommend going to POFQ (our favourite Moderate). It's a really great resort, with a cool slide, a fun playground and a pretty good food court. If it is only about room size, I would say to stay with the values.:mickey: