PDA

View Full Version : Best Dec. dates???

iluvdis
05-23-2008, 01:37 PM
We are planning a Dec. trip and I am wondering which dates would be the best for lowest crowds. We were thinking about Dec 3-8 to avoid some of the Pop Warner groups, but Disney's site recommends the next week as one of the least crowded. Any advice? Thanks!!

faline
05-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

I've found the first several weeks of December are a great time to visit. I've ended trips as late as the 20th or 21st and found that crowds are beginning to pick up around that time.

Taja
05-23-2008, 01:53 PM
We visited WDW December 7 - 17, 2007. The first weekend overlapped Pop Warner--no problems. Occasionally saw groups of cheerleaders in the parks, but they were pretty well behaved. A bit of cheering, but they quieted down when the chaperones requested it. Keep in mind that the Pop Warner resorts usually are All Stars and POR/POFQ.

We stayed at Pop Century. Absolutely no issues there.

I've visited WDW from the first week in December (the visit literally began on December 1st one year!) through the 18th or 19th in various years. It's a terrific time to visit--lower crowds, mostly nice weather (can be quite warm or wickedly cold, but usually moderate).

Your dates should be fine--just after Thanksgiving weekend this year. :thumbsup:

LuvAllPrincesses
05-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Our last visit to the world was Dec 8-17, 2006, which I believe we arrived the day after the Pop Warner group left (planned it for that reason...). The crowd level was wondeful. The weather was wonderful, considering we had an infant we didn't want to worry about the sun/heat. The first evening was extremely windy and chilly and we actaully needed winter hats, but after that long-sleeves/jackets in the morning, down to short sleeves most afternoons, and jackets/sweatshirts in the evening. With kids from Pennsylvania, they didn't mind swimming a few afternoons but ran for the towels when getting out. It was all worth it seeing the decorations and listening to the music and getting the Christmas Story at the Candlelight Processional...I wouldn't hesitate to visit at that time again!

FROG0823
05-25-2008, 10:58 PM
We went last year from Dec 8 - 16th. It was absolutely wonderful and is one of our favorite weeks to visit the world.

RALPH
05-26-2008, 07:23 AM
We did Dec once. the first 3 days overlapped the Pop Warner (we did not know). After that ended crowds were significantly lower. I remember being in DD and could not move. I was not happy. I would avoid PW at all costs, but that is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

dizne4me
05-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Does anyone know when the Pop Warner groups will be in WDW? My family will be going Dec. 4 for a few days and I'm kinda hoping to miss the crowds.

faline
05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Pop Warner runs December 1-8 this year. Generally, this group does not impact park crowds so you shouldn't worry about this event increasing the crowds. The largest impact is generally felt in the value resorts where most participants stay during the event.

Marilyn Michetti
05-26-2008, 01:45 PM
We always go the first or second week, and the crowds aren't bad at all. Even more important to me, is the cooler temps. We live in Az., and a goosebump is a rare thing. Somehow, going to Florida in the summer just isn't appealing, AT ALL !

You'll be happy with the low crowds, the festive Christmas atmosphere, and the nice cool temps.

If you're there between the 7th - 14th, I'll meet you at the flagpole !:flag:

RAIDER
05-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Weve always gone in the first two weeks of december and for me its the best time to go as the crowds are low so its not so mad and that includes the shopping crowds are not o manic ...

Have fun :thumbsup:

Beast_fanatic
05-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Pop Warner runs December 1-8 this year.

That was last year's schedule. This year the event runs December 7th-13th.

Soul_Power
05-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Generally, this group does not impact park crowds so you shouldn't worry about this event increasing the crowds. The largest impact is generally felt in the value resorts where most participants stay during the event.

Is there a specific resort(s) that the group usually stays at?

RockinRollerMom
05-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Pop Warner generally stay at the all stars and POR/POFQ. Last year our trip overlapped PopWarner and we were staying at POFQ. You definetly knew they were there, but they didn't take over the whole resort. I didn't notice them at the parks at all. This year we we will be overlapping Pop Warner again and have decided to try CSR to avoid them. I think the begining of December is a great time to go to Disney and after our last years trip it has turned into our favorite time to visit. If you go don't miss the Osborne Lights at DHS. It was our favorite!

faline
05-26-2008, 05:41 PM
That was last year's schedule. This year the event runs December 7th-13th.

Thanks, Rhonda! I googled it and came up with the Wide World of Sports schedule but didn't look closely enough at the year. My query did, indeed, pick up last year's dates!

Beast_fanatic
05-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Is there a specific resort(s) that the group usually stays at?

The All Stars and POR/POFQ are typically the Pop Warner resorts.

Thanks, Rhonda! I googled it and came up with the Wide World of Sports schedule but didn't look closely enough at the year. My query did, indeed, pick up last year's dates!

I figured that was what happened as that was the info I turned up at first, but I was pretty sure I had seen that it was the following week this year. For future reference, it appears that the pattern is that it begins the first Saturday in December.

iluvdis
05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses! I think we will go ahead with those dates!

AirlineGuy07
05-28-2008, 11:29 AM
We will be there Dec 9-14 and was wondering the same thing about the crowds. Sounds like from Faline the crowds won't be impacted too much.

Taja
05-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Pop Warner runs December 1-8 this year. Generally, this group does not impact park crowds so you shouldn't worry about this event increasing the crowds. The largest impact is generally felt in the value resorts where most participants stay during the event.

Hmmmm... Did they finally announce the dates? We had extrapolated that it would begin December 6th this year, as it is the first Saturday in December.

I haven't been on the board much lately, so I probably missed the announcement.

Taja
05-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Never mind! Just read the rest of the posts!
*LOL*